Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
After installing Mountain Lion my MacBook sometimes freezes when I open it. This seems to happen most regularly when the laptop hasn't been used for a while. So when I open it in the morning it nearly always happens.

When I open the lid the screen comes on and I can see the login screen but the keyboard and trackpad just do not respond at all. I end up having to hold down the power button and hard reboot.

This is happening on my own MacBook Pro, but it is also happening on my wife's MacBook Air. I asked three of my work colleagues about this and they all report that it is happening to them with Mountain Lion too. Two of them had MacBook Pros, one retina and one last year's model, whilst another had an Air.

So this seems to be a Mountain Lion problem and isn't affecting just one model. Is anyone else seeing this problem, and does anyone know how to fix it?

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
This is happening too with our late 08 Macbook - freezes after waking up from a long sleep. I've scoured the Apple forums and it looks like it's a network/wifi related issue. I've tried all the different possible "fixes" that others have done and no luck. I did hear 10.8.1 has been seeded to developers so hopefully it comes out quick and fixes the issues. My wife is being patient but I'm sure she wished I hadn't upgraded to ML.

PS - have done two clean installs, disk permissions repair, no 3rd party apps, created new wifi profile, and a bunch of others. Might go back to Lion while waiting for the fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.