Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
iGary said:
All I want to know is:

Are the current versions of my software going to work on these new, crap processors?

Is the G5 development over - is 2.7 all we're getting?

This better not eff me in the wallet software-wise if I decide to buy a new Appletel machine.

And if they put one Intel sticker on the case of any Apple machine, I'm done, OS or not.

My concerns exactly.
Took the words right out of my mouth

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
bosrs1 said:
My point is you shouldn't be using your old computer as a meal ticket to your next one. It's retarded to do that. Computer's always loose value unexpectedly.

but now instead of my two new computers and display costing 3200, its going to be 4000

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
A couple of my posts from the other thread since there actually appear to be some rational people in this one ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous161
Yeah, except it's not going to be "perceivably" twice as fast. I just see a Best Buy employee "Yes this Mac is fast, but over here we have this HP (with a bigger margin for Best Buy" that costs half as much but is just as fast. It runs Windows XP, which everyone uses and the Mac runs OS "ecks" which you can't buy any software for and isn't compatible with Microsoft Office or the internet.

Why is that any different from the current state of affairs? From a risk benefit standpoint, if you have the same risk as before but have an arguably quantifiable positive benefit, you would take the risk because of the marginal benefit (however small) you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Gargoyle
"Mac heads" wont pay 3k for a system that has been terminated. Sales will drop to nothing in the coming months.
Mac just died...

You guys are looking at this from a techhead/mac zealot standpoint. MACS are a SMALL percentage of the total market and us idiots who refresh every 2 mins of macrumors form an even smaller percentage of that. From a business standpoint, sometimes you have to take a short term hit for long term success. You absolutely cannot have blinders on and look only at immediate numbers. Anyone with vision will be willing to take a short term loss IF the long term benefit has a NPV that is greater than the short term loss in sales/profits/revenue. Steve has thought this thing out a lot more than you or me. In business cycles, a short term hit of one year is remarkable. It took Lou Gerster 3 years of agita at IBM before he was able to instill his dramatic change of going form a products based company to a services organization. Turned the damn thing around.

This is going to be a case study in B-School one day, I guarantee it. I just hope it makes it into the curriculum before i graduate next year.

AND STEVE, IF YOU'RE READING THIS - PM ME IF YOU'RE HIRING!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmadant
Betrayed we have been the end of the mac is near and the rise of mac osx is hear never agin will i use a mac

From a business standpoint, you're the kind of user that I wouldn't mind losing because from a numbers perspective, if I lose you and stand to gain a few more, I'll take the gain. You can't market to every segment out there. You pick and choose. And if the downside is that you lose 'people like you' but stand to gain in some other targeted segment, I'll take the gain. You'r the kind of user I could never make happy, there are a ******** of 'mainstream' users in numbers as compared to the early adopters/tech heads. Steve has to go after the bulk - to grow the company. You can't be successful only catering to a small group of tech heads. At some point you make the decision to go from being a niche/elite company, to going mainstream. And that's what Steve has done, brilliantly I thin

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
joepunk said:
My concerns exactly.
Took the words right out of my mouth
Watch the whole Keynote. Rosetta will allow all PPC based software to run seamlessly. You have nothing to fear.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
This is what worries me, most of all... all other discussions on x86 architecture and which CPUs the "Mactels" will be running (my guess, until I hear otherwise is the Pentium-D) aside... Two years waiting for new hardware is a very long time and might push a lot of potential buyers (me included) up on the fence (not to say over the fence)... :(
My point exactly. The Mac sales will take a nose dive. Who are going to fork up with 3k for a system that is obsolete? or worse who is going to pay that money one year from now? I doubt we will see any upgrades in the G5 now...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The time has come

1. Apple has been constrained by processor supply from BOTH Motorola and IBM (ironically). This will allow them to source from a supplier accustomed to HUGE volumes and surge sales.

2. OSX is processor agnostic. So whether the path is x86 from Intel or AMD, or the roadmap is some radical new future processor, they are set to offer a "user experience" that the user need not relearn.

3. Wintel users can switch with substantially more confidence to Mactel or Appletel. Irrational but real.

4. Some significant fraction of Wintel builders and users are really Intel zealots, not Microsoft zealots. Those people will switch sooner.

5. I see Apple blade servers "coming soon".

Rocketman

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Since Steve did his Keynote on a Pentium 3.7 GHz if positive news. All of us won't have to wait 2 years. It just depends on what Mac's will ship with Intel nest year.

soldat

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2005
I'm just disappointed that it will be a year before the new computers come out.. maybe that is a conservative estimate?

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
Rocketman said:
1. Apple has been constrained by processor supply from BOTH Motorola and IBM (ironically). This will allow them to source from a supplier accustomed to HUGE volumes and surge sales.

2. OSX is processor agnostic. So whether the path is x86 from Intel or AMD, or the roadmap is some radical new future processor, they are set to offer a "user experience" that the user need not relearn.

3. Wintel users can switch with substantially more confidence to Mactel or Appletel. Irrational but real.

4. Some significant fraction of Wintel builders and users are really Intel zealots, not Microsoft zealots. Those people will switch sooner.

5. I see Apple blade servers "coming soon".

Rocketman
Shame more people aren't as smart as you on this board.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
daveL said:
I'm stunned. IBM must have really dropped the ball. Steve said there are PPC product updates in the pipeline, but it's hard to imagine that they would be very significant, otherwise why switch? So now I have 2 G5 based Macs, both well under a year old, that basically have no future. Why would anyone waste their time optimizing for G5? I'm not feeling very good right now.

Steve is only saying that in hopes that someone will still buy what they have for sale. He does not want to release the next sales figures with only 500 Macs sold.

You will see sub $1000 iMacs and iBooks now...and Dual G5's going for less then $1500. Better to move them at a huge loss then throw them in a landfill.

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
eva01 said:
because i am buying a powermac, ACD, and iBook, thats why it upsets me

i ordered 2 pcs of dual 2.7 G5 in work place,
and talked to my boss that they can run at least for 5 years
it upsets me, too

alep85

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Yes, very true

I see this as a double-edged sword, really. On one hand, I am rather furious that an iMac G5 I bought no more than 8 months ago now has a processor that will be quickly phased out, I love my G5 processor and I firmly believe it is still the most superior desktop (although obviously not notebook) processor. I am a college student, so I cannot readily afford a brand new Mac again (I already spent 1500 dollars last year) and trying to sell an iMac G5 on eBay would be quite hard when the hardware is obsolete in 2 years. Better hope my Google stock does well...

On the other hand, I also think that this could be a turning point in Apple's history. Either Apple switches to x86 and developers leave it starving with no programs until Apple gives up, or we just may see a direct competition with Windows, drastically increasing market share. I hope the latter to be the case, as I would really like to see the potential Mac OS X has vs. Windows XP on the same system . Finally a fair match with no strings attached, I think Apple has the potential to convert many users, even though they may lose some until the transition. Not only that, but perhaps this will also help drive the costs of the Mac hardware down, using mass-produced Intel processors can only be a plus when it comes to cost.

So, for the present on my iMac G5, this announcement sucks to my wallet, as I will probably have to dish out $$ again for a new system. However, to the future, I only see good things coming from this. My only question is, now, will we have to use a two-button mouse now that we're on the same arch. as Windows? LOL, jk. See ya on the flip side!

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
stephenli said:
i ordered 2 pcs of dual 2.7 G5 in work place,
and talked to my boss that they can run at least for 5 years
it upsets me, too
They can still run for 5 years. That hasn't changed. The only thing that has is that they'll be replaced with Intel based ones when they get too slow... nothing more.

logical001

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
Apple have basically just lost part of their differentiation in this announcement and I really think this is commercial suicide by Steve Jobs.

Who the hell is going to buy an overpriced Powermac PC in a year or so when you can have a Dell at a fraction of the price and STILL run Mac OSX.

They are ditching custom hardware at a time when Pro users and indeed the world like 'different'. With the way things are looking, they will just be another alienware!!!

Sorry Apple, you've got too caught up with IPOD and the whole media provider route

Sad Day.

mikefl420

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
Hummm....

I'm still partially shocked by Steve's switch. I can see both the pros and cons to the whole architecture move, IBM hasn't produced as promised and Intel has infinitely more R&D funding behind it.

What I wonder about though is where this leaves us PPC users... Plenty has been stated about Rosetta translating PPC apps to x86 on-the-fly; but what about the reverse? Once new MacTel apps begin appearing will they be translated for PPC computers on-the-fly as well? Or will this become another case of forced obsolecence? The latter would be foolish unless Apple wants to kill it's computer sales for the next year and a half.

Additionally, will this move really bring down prices or simply increase Apple's margins? Great for stockholders, bad for consumers.

I don't have any worry that OS X will still be Mac-only, Steve is still a control freak. Which is why I also doubt we'll ever see "Intel Inside" stickers on a Mac (except maybe CompUSA display models...)

I think the only way Apple's bottom-line and share prices will weather this change is if Steve loosens his lips a tad and keeps the world informed. Apple's trademark secrecy can only hurt right now- especially if they want to hold on to the Mac-faithful.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
There is so much overreacting in this thread!

I really think it is too early to know how this is going to play out. We are just going to have to wait. While I understand everyone's concerns, I think this is not as big of deal as everyone is making it. I really can't beleive that Apple ruined itself, this could just as easily be a great thing. Just wait it out.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
So what are they going to call the processors?

Apple Power Mac G6 with dual Intel such and such processors running at blah de blah GHz?

I'm just sad at this.

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
logical001 said:
Apple have basically just lost part of their differentiation in this announcement and I really think this is commercial suicide by Steve Jobs.

Who the hell is going to buy an overpriced Powermac PC in a year or so when you can have a Dell at a fraction of the price and STILL run Mac OSX.

They are ditching custom hardware at a time when Pro users and indeed the world like 'different'. With the way things are looking, they will just be another alienware!!!

Sorry Apple, you've got too caught up with IPOD and the whole media provider route

Sad Day.

Get it through your heads... YOUR DELL WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RUN OSX!

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Nay-sayers can shout anything they want, but Apple will survive this, and NEVER lose its relevance in our culture, becaue Apple IS the best entertainment available right now.

tennisbum

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
Switching to Intel.....

“Apple is strong. And the Mac is strong. So this is a great time to start building for the future, to make us even stronger. We know transitions: We’ve been through two of them, and they’ve kept our platform at the forefront,” said Jobs.

My opinion is this: the last two transitions are defensive transitions. I would personally rephrase Jobs saying "we know transitions" to WE KNOW MAKING MISTAKES. ;-) This is potentially a more offensive transition.

About Microsoft and Adobe pledging commitment to the new transition: It's all about $ and marketing. It's no secret that Apple and other companies promised us the world and ended up not delivering, abandoning users and forcing the end users to take what they got at that point of time. I personally don't like the path it is leading to. Steve Jobs, you are breaking my heart..... You are going down the path that I can not follow..... ;-) Now Darth Apptel is going to bring peace and justice to it's new empire. The world will be a better place now..... ;-)

I still love the Mac platform. To me, it's the software that sets Apple apart. Perhaps Apple should sell the hardware biz to Intel and focus on developing the killer OS and the apps that makes the Mac shine. Also, perhaps a change of name is in place......

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Dr.Gargoyle said:
My point exactly. The Mac sales will take a nose dive. Who are going to fork up with 3k for a system that is obsolete? or worse who is going to pay that money one year from now? I doubt we will see any upgrades in the G5 now...

The same thing is going through my mind. May just get to see the longevity of a Mac, currently almost five years old. Wonder what Steve has in mind to encourage sales?

Eric_Z

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
I feel bad for my father, he spent about 4$k US half a year ago on his swich to OSX and a Powermac. the most, by an enourmous margin, that he's ever spent on a single PC purchase.

Guess who's going to get the blame for his investment turning into poo... :(

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
I hope they will be at least the 64-bit x86 chips. Even though I don't like this idea at all. I wonder if AMD will be an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.