Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Better than what Apple is offering. Not a single sale, discount, or special. Back to school sale will probably be gone next year considering how bad if was this year.

Apple doesn't do this kind of stuff. The only time I know is during "back to school". Back in the day there were 0 discounts from Apple products, but now we see them not discontinuing certain models and the retailers put them on sale - so it's a win for people who want to own Apple products.

Here's a pretty good deal for anyone who wants to get started with an iPad.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah unfortunately even on Black Friday you'll rarely get reasonable deals for Apple products especially on the official store.

I know it'll upset some people but the more reason to switch PC. I've been thinking about it for a long time now but I think my next computer will be a Custom PC. I'm just tired of paying premiums, plus for us Canadians Apple is even more expensive than it was before.

Plus Microsoft really delivered with Windows 10, It's the best Microsoft release yet and it's super fast as well.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Yeah unfortunately even on Black Friday you'll rarely get reasonable deals for Apple products especially on the official store.

I know it'll upset some people but the more reason to switch PC. I've been thinking about it for a long time now but I think my next computer will be a Custom PC. I'm just tired of paying premiums, plus for us Canadians Apple is even more expensive than it was before.

Plus Microsoft really delivered with Windows 10, It's the best Microsoft release yet and it's super fast as well.

PC's, ew. Windows still sucks. If you mean a Hackintosh then good luck - it's a lot of work to upkeep and updating OS is a complete pain.

I have Windows 10 running as a second OS just for small tasks and it's still a boring OS and clunky.

anek007

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2014
Apple doesn't do this kind of stuff. The only time I know is during "back to school". Back in the day there were 0 discounts from Apple products, but now we see them not discontinuing certain models and the retailers put them on sale - so it's a win for people who want to own Apple products.

Here's a pretty good deal for anyone who wants to get started with an iPad.

Last year they offer $50-100 iTunes gift cards for iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks. I remember couple years ago they did small discounts. Now they offer nothing at all. Lately my local Apple store just seem to be a playground where people just play with Apple products but then buys them somewhere else.

Reactions: DEXTERITY

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Last year they offer $50-100 iTunes gift cards for iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks. I remember couple years ago they did small discounts. Now they offer nothing at all. Lately my local Apple store just seem to be a playground where people just play with Apple products but then buys them somewhere else.

I think they just allow the retailers to sell them at a discount. They are still officially selling the iPad mini 2.

Also I don't go to the stores anymore, it's like a jungle. I remember when there were only a few people back before the iPhone took off.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
How do you like that iMac? I think it's the i5 version. I want to get it to run FCPX. I know the RAM is upgradeable...
Just ordered it on Thursday. Should be here Monday. I am definitely upgrading the ram.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Seriously. Americans are too blinded by saving $50. If they are smart enough they can get better deals at a strategic time of the year.

They think saving $50 on a crappy-run-of-the-mill TV is going to make their life easier somehow.

Really? "Americans," as in all 320 million of us are exactly like that?

Reactions: RadioGaGa1984

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Really? "Americans," as in all 320 million of us are exactly like that?

Most are. Can't argue with that. If they weren't you wouldn't see these stupid "deals" all over like it's Christs' second coming.

I'm saying this as an American.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

They are minor sales — Not like "HP Laptop Extravaganza" type of deals. It's either an iTunes gift card, or some other free product like an iPod nano with a Mac Pro (like back in 2008).

You can get better deals from somewhere like B&H Photo which have automatic $200 off and no tax outside of NY.

Also other retailers have much better deals such as this. Or this. You just have to be smart about it.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
PC's, ew. Windows still sucks. If you mean a Hackintosh then good luck - it's a lot of work to upkeep and updating OS is a complete pain.

I have Windows 10 running as a second OS just for small tasks and it's still a boring OS and clunky.

And people say the same thing about OS X. Don't be a snob. There's no right or wrong OS choice. It's personal preference. It's a tool to get a job done. Each has their pros and cons.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
They are minor sales — Not like "HP Laptop Extravaganza" type of deals.

I never said they offered the best deals in town. I was merely addressing your claim that "Apple doesn't do this kind of stuff" when you responded to anek007's post.

Apple at least offered something in prior years. This year they didn't give anything.

HotPopsicle

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010
B&H is out of 2014 rMBP. I was in the middle of checking out - hit the final PURCHASE button - and THEN they said "your cart is empty" and nothing else....pretty lame that they don't reserve a unit WHILE you're in the middle of checking out!!! Jerks.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I never said they offered the best deals in town. I was merely addressing your claim that "Apple doesn't do this kind of stuff" when you responded to anek007's post.

Apple at least offered something in prior years. This year they didn't give anything.

Key words offered something.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
You call these discounts "good deals"???
They are at least some of the deals you're going to get on a Mac. Nobody actually heavily discounts Apple products on Black Friday.

And people say the same thing about OS X. Don't be a snob. There's no right or wrong OS choice. It's personal preference. It's a tool to get a job done. Each has their pros and cons.
AFAIK the only advantage the Windows OS has in itself is the built-in Snap feature. People literally only use it for compatibility reasons. Sure, there are people who hate OS X... those who have never used it as their main.

I've been considering the Hackintosh idea because I'm sick and tired of Apple's crappy desktop (or should I say, non-mobile laptop) hardware. Almost replaced my Mac mini server with a Hackintosh but decided against it due to power consumption.

Last edited:

Designx

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012

I'm primarily a Windows user with an iPhone (pretty common). I use Mac OS in college and find it incredibly clunky and backward. Just goes to show you like what you know and are used to.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I'm primarily a Windows user with an iPhone (pretty common). I use Mac OS in college and find it incredibly clunky and backward. Just goes to show you like what you know and are used to.

How do you find it clunky? It's a nice looking OS with good typography, easy on the eyes and very intuitive. Especially with multi-tasking and shortcuts, not to mention iMessage and Handoff are some of the features iOS users will appreciate. Also it's Unix kernel - very stable.

Last edited:

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
You do when you're an "affiliate partner" and thus thus "story" is basically a front page ad ;).

no skylake. all whack prices. not knowing about computer parts makes it easier to dupe your own customers. shame on you apple

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
They think saving $50 on a crappy-run-of-the-mill TV is going to make their life easier somehow.

What's so great about the not run of the mill tvs? The Panasonic 42" I randomly bought for 180 at Best Buy after moving here didn't seem 1/3 as good as the 600 Samsung I walked in planning to buy lol. In fact it was so close I couldn't fathom wasting all that money.

The high end 4K screens look great though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.