Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PiroPhosphoric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
I have had a 2010 MacMini server with Snow Leopard, recently changed for a Quad-core i7 MacMini 2011 server, for my audivisual set-up in the living room.

I had to buy an Gefen HDMI Detective Plus between macmini and my Rotel Av Amplifier/Receiver to avoid the reset of the audio channels to the internal loudspeakers every time I changed from TV to projector, or even, change the channel in the TV. With the Gefen HDMI detective everything was smooth, even able to shut-down the TV while still listening Spotify through the AV Receiver.

I remember I had even to set the hardware acceleration off in Plex to get good results.

But actually with the Lion OS, nothing seems to work.
I have the same installation, the same Gefen HDMI Detective plus, the same TV, the same Rotel, but again the audio output is sent back to internal speakers everytime I change something beyond the macmini.

I have to re-start the MacMini to get control over HDMI audio out-put.
I have change to 44.000 Hz in MIDI sets, I have done anything I have been able to think of, and still have the problem.

Any idea?
Sorry with the lenght and quality of speech (not first language)

PiroPhosphoric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Last night I had a new try.

At first, there were no sound-out device availale at all!

After rebooting, everything was OK, even Plex, until I changed at the AV Receiver the output from TV to the Projector (and shut-down the TV set).

Again, the internal speakers was highlighted in the sound control panel, but changing to the TV set did not produce any effect.

Last thing I'am thinking is to re-install the HDMI detective again.

PiroPhosphoric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
I have to answer myself in this thread.

Finally I put two Gefen HDMI Detectives at my settings, one in the HDMI output to my Rotel AV Receiver, and the other one through a MiniDisplayport/HDMI conector (at the Thunder port) conected to my distant Panasonic 42V20 (27.5 meters away).

The video quality is perfect, without any issue, and no overscan needed.

Unfortunatelly, the audio output of the Macmini can only be directed to ONLY ONE DEVICE. I have to choose in System Preferences / audio, which device I want the audio to go through.

It's annoying.

I have the Rotel also connected to the same TV set, but I have to change the settings in the Rotel to allow the audio to pass-through.

I don't know how to tell Apple to set up BOTH audio outputs...

drmark

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
I have to answer myself in this thread.

Unfortunatelly, the audio output of the Macmini can only be directed to ONLY ONE DEVICE. I have to choose in System Preferences / audio, which device I want the audio to go through.

It's annoying.

I don't know how to tell Apple to set up BOTH audio outputs...

I have the same issue, I bought an HDMI spliter and run it into 2 differant HDMI inputs on my Marantz AV7005. One uses the HDMI for all video and sound for movies. The other I direct the sound to my DAC. Have to change output each time to listen to music. Stupid for an $800 PC to need this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.