Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey! I've found that macOS has a new transparency feature. Not just the regular transparency we know since Yosemite, but an extra level of transparency, apparently a beta feature for selected devices. This is very noticeable on the System Preferences pane.

This evening I've been on my local Apple Store, and only the Mac mini and the Mac Pro attached to an external LG Ultrafine display showed this feature, all the other Macs (iMacs, MacBook Pros attached to a LG Ultrafine display) didn't show this.

They were running Mojave, that's why I'm posting here on "all the little things". This is a little thing that nobody caught an eye on.

I repeat, it is an unusual level of transparency on panels such as the Preference pane. You can actually see through the Preference pane the Wallpaper behind. To be honest I'm not sure I like so much transparency.

Has anyone else observed this? As I said, I've only seen it on the Mac mini + Ultrafine display and the Mac Pro + Ultrafine display.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Hey! I've found that macOS has a new transparency feature. Not just the regular transparency we know since Yosemite, but an extra level of transparency, apparently a beta feature for selected devices. This is very noticeable on the System Preferences pane.

This evening I've been on my local Apple Store, and only the Mac mini and the Mac Pro attached to an external LG Ultrafine display showed this feature, all the other Macs (iMacs, MacBook Pros attached to a LG Ultrafine display) didn't show this.

They were running Mojave, that's why I'm posting here on "all the little things". This is a little thing that nobody caught an eye on.

I repeat, it is an unusual level of transparency on panels such as the Preference pane. You can actually see through the Preference pane the Wallpaper behind. To be honest I'm not sure I like so much transparency.

Has anyone else observed this? As I said, I've only seen it on the Mac mini + Ultrafine display and the Mac Pro + Ultrafine display.

You might be thinking of the way the primary color of your desktop background bleeds through, slightly, in Dark Mode. This was done to make the dark hues look a bit more natural.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
You might be thinking of the way the primary color of your desktop background bleeds through, slightly, in Dark Mode. This was done to make the dark hues look a bit more natural.

No

I know that feature since I started using Mojave. No, I am not talking about that. Sorry to look so unquestionable, but what I wrote above has nothing to do with that. I'm talking about actual transparency through the Preference Pane. But this just happens on a select combination of devices + screens, hence it's highly unlikely that most of you have actually seen it.

If any of you has an Apple Store nearby, just go check the Mac mini + Ultrafine display or the Trashcan + Ultrafine display, check you're under dark mode (this happens with white theme but it's much more difficult to spot) and the Mac is running 10.14.5 Then open the System Pref Pane and move it around with a no uniform wallpaper to see just through the Pref pane the wallpaper on the background. Like actual transparency, not color matching or bleeding.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
When using archive to extract compressed files, if you want to extract more than one, you must select multiple files in one go *before* starting to preserve the location it extracts to, otherwise the last one extracted goes to /Downloads folder.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
I believe they tightened / optimized the GPU routines, as my BOINC client is now processing work units at a rate of one every 16 minutes, before it was one every 21 minutes.. and I noted no changes to the routines or modules myself in the log, other than the fact it was running 10.14.6 (combo) instead of 10.14.5.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have to report that my 2014 mini is running smooth, better than on 10.14.5

I think this is a great final release to stuck with for a long time before Catalina becomes stable enough by next year.

Reactions: BigBoy2018

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Dark mode kinda hard on the eyes in inactive windows:

Attachments

• Before.png
    Before.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 372
  • Aftter.png
    Aftter.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 392

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
I will likely stay with Mojave for the long haul. It has been rock solid on all the macs in our family (2017 imac, 2015 macbook pro 15 + 13, macbook air 2013, 2012 non retina macbook pro).

I like dark mode alot and always keep it on. Like the new app store, like that I can still run 32- bit apps. I’m grateful apple made some of the big changes with mojave and not only after they ditched 32-bit.

I think its a great OS to camp out on for a good long while.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Kind of a weird issue, and not sure yet if this is Apple's motive to get move people to copy links from Safari, but when yo use third part browsers like Firefox, you can no longer drag and drop links in Apple mail... The link itself gets replaced automatically with the title of the website.

Try it with Safari?? and no problem.

Could be the same with other services, but only tested with Youtube.

I don't think its due to add-ons blocking, because when start dragging the link into mail. (but before letting go), the link is still ok... It's only when you "release", it changes.

That's something new. and i thought i've just about everything.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Kind of a weird issue, and not sure yet if this is Apple's motive to get move people to copy links from Safari, but when yo use third part browsers like Firefox, you can no longer drag and drop links in Apple mail... The link itself gets replaced automatically with the title of the website.
Works for me, I can drag youtube and MacRumors links into Apple mail without any issues.
After reading your post I ran a test with positive results.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I am very surprised that since the 10.14.6 FULL installer release there have been 4 build updates.

Perhaps this explains the various problem users had with wake from sleep etc. using the Supplemental or Combo updates.

As of today, I have build 18G103 installed in a fresh, clean install on a new SanDisk Ultra3D and so far no isuues except in pairing one of my Bluetooth Headsets via a USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle - Mojave yielded TWO entries for this headset but the extra pairing disappeared on the next cold boot up.

Mojave 10.14.6 revisions.png

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Not really a Mojave issue,more of an iTunes "issue"

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 9.32.44 pm.png

Someone must have not had their coffee at Apple .. What kind of nincompoop would call a "button" a "tick" ?

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Tech198

G'day Mate. ( from anAussie in Japan )

Personally, I have " Automatic download & install Mac OS updates " turned off.

Especially concerning Mojave 10.14.6

I like to check around to see whether they fix or create problems first.

Reactions: BigBoy2018

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Tech198

G'day Mate. ( from anAussie in Japan )

Personally, I have " Automatic download & install Mac OS updates " turned off.

Especially concerning Mojave 10.14.6

I like to check around to see whether they fix or create problems first.

The first thing I have ALWAYS done when installing a new mac OS is shut off auto updates. I like to have that control, and dont want a rogue update to break something I rely on.
Eventually I do the update, but its on my time.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Sometimes you gotta disable "dark background for messages" in Apple mail if the content in a table is the same color..

Its still visible in in dark, as its not exactly the same shade. but totally unreadable. Bing part of a table, its not like text. where you could drag over.

Attachments

• Dark off.png
    Dark off.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 336
  • Dark on.png
    Dark on.png
    212.6 KB · Views: 294
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.