Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have a question. Ambient sounds, like ocean and rain, that we can enable on Homepods and iOS 15 devices, are present in Monterey? Thank you

PS: Anyways, I have a great app called Chill, despite being 10 years old, it’s still an awesome app for background sound.

Last edited:

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I have a question. Ambient sounds, like ocean and rain, that we can enable on Homepods and iOS 15 devices, are present in Monterey? Thank you

PS: Anyways, I have a great app called Chill, despite being 10 years old, it’s still an awesome app for background sound.
Search for Apple Music Sleep in Music and you will find quite a few of them:
Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 06.32.43.png

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Search for Apple Music Sleep in Music and you will find quite a few of them:
View attachment 1948616
No, that’s not what I was looking for, I don’t have an Apple Music subscription.

I was talking about a feature, present in iOS 15, where, from Control Center, you can quickly start a background sound/noise. I was asking if that feature was on Monterey as well. But never mind, I have an app for that.

Reactions: gank41 and srbNYC

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
It seems that 12.2 update caused problems with several usb connections.

My printer no longer connect to my mac using usb.
One of my usb flash disks too.
It seems that are invisible to my mac, non existent.

It was everything ok with 12.1.

Try to check usb connections and devices you have.
You may be surprised by the results.

:(

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Is usb2 protocol the problem?

My printer supports usb2 connection
The usb flash disk that do not connect, it is usb2 too.

As I said, both worked in 12.1 version of monterey.

funkypepper

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Monterey's smart battery charging feature seems much more reliable than Big Sur. Big Sur have always waited for the battery to discharge naturally before stopping at 80%, or mostly kept charging; now Monterey just drains straight down to 80%, if it knows that you have already been spending most of your time on battery power. Or that's what my ML guy figured out by itself.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Monterey's smart battery charging feature seems much more reliable than Big Sur. Big Sur have always waited for the battery to discharge naturally before stopping at 80%, or mostly kept charging; now Monterey just drains straight down to 80%, if it knows that you have already been spending most of your time on battery power. Or that's what my ML guy figured out by itself.

I have this feature enabled.
Most of the time, almost always, my mbp is plugged to the power.
Is it a good practice to pull off magsafe for a few hours each day, manually?
To resemble an 'on the move' procedure and help mac os monterey to 'learn' to better handle mbp battery?

funkypepper

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
I have this feature enabled.
Most of the time, almost always, my mbp is plugged to the power.
Is it a good practice to pull off magsafe for a few hours each day, manually?
To resemble an 'on the move' procedure and help mac os monterey to 'learn' to better handle mbp battery?
No, keep it plugged if it is always stationery. Let the thing figure it out itself.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
No, keep it plugged if it is always stationery. Let the thing figure it out itself.
Or even better. Use the Al-Dente app to manage the battery. Mine for example is set to not charge over 80% and do a full charge-discharge cycle once on a while. It is a real useful little app. Lithium Ion batteries like to be kept under 100%.

Reactions: brosenz and cool11

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Is there any page, where I can manually download the mac os / monterey updates in the form of dmg files?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Is there any page, where I can manually download the mac os / monterey updates in the form of dmg files?
Not from Apple. Downloads are either of the install app, or a package which when executed produces the install app.

Mr.Macintosh maintains a page with links to all currently available downloads. These are all .pkg files. https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-12-monterey-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

He also lists all known ways of downloading multiple version of macOS from Apple here https://mrmacintosh.com/how-to-download-macos-catalina-mojave-or-high-sierra-full-installers/. This includes (#8 on the list):

If you really need a dmg, you can run MDS https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/mac-deploy-stick/ which is able to download components from Apple and construct a dmg.

NOTE: The above all download the full installer (12 GB). The only way to download and install just the update (a few GBs) is from Apple using System Preferences. You can't download the update.

Last edited:

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I have not the best memory, I admit it.
But, if I can remember well,
in the past, there was such a page, officially from Apple.
I remember it like a dream, maybe 5-7 years ago.
Am I remembering wrong?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have not the best memory, I admit it.
But, if I can remember well,
in the past, there was such a page, officially from Apple.
I remember it like a dream, maybe 5-7 years ago.
Am I remembering wrong?
Yeah, I remember that webpage too. Let me take a look and, if I find it, I’ll let it know. It had several links that opened through the App Store, with previous versions of macOS

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
How I can get rid of this red indication number in 'app store' icon in dock?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Why oh why did they make it so when you double click photos in messages it shows a horrendously small thumbnail, and only after clicking 'open in preview' can you see a somewhat full size view?

Also why for compact tabs on Safari do I have to click the ellipsis to click the reader button?

Dear lord the UX on Apple stuff has turned to absolute unexplainable doo doo. Who likes unnecessary multiple hops?

How is it I can pick up on a nuisance and bad design decision virtually the second I'm exposed to it, but it passes QA and multiple iterations, and almost a year into the OS being developed (at least for Developer Previews, GM, subsequent updates)

05onfire1_xp-superJumbo-v2.jpg

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
How can I stop 'notes' application to appear, every time I move cursor to the bottom right of the screen?

petekjohnson

macrumors member
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
Hi Pete, may I ask you how you do this step? I feel so dumb as I haven't yet managed to figure out how to migrate existing accounts in my MS Authenticator app. I don't see any QR code for any existing accounts there.
Most of the authenticator apps I have looked at had very minimal features for even migrating to a new device with the same app, to say nothing of extracting the info in order to put it into something else. So if Microsoft Authenticator doesn't appear to have any way of doing that, or a way to get it to display the QR Codes so you can repurpose them, you may be forced to do it all over again from scratch.

I avoided most of this because I am meticulous about keeping all the details for every account I use, so i have a folder for each one and each folder contains a text file with my sign-in credentials, the QR Code, and possibly some addioinal recovery keys or backup codes. I keep all of this on an ENCRYPTED disk image so i don't have to worry about storing too much sensitive information since there's just no way someone could ever open it. So, if I was in your position, I would already have all of this info set aside and could just use it to set them up in a new app, or in iOS 15 ot macOS 12. Not a BATCH solution, I grant you, but it really didn't take much time.

The upside to Apple's implementation is that it's all connected to iCloud Keychain so all your devices are kept synchronized, so you aren't at the mercy of accidentally somehow not having access to the device its all stored on. Also, it's very easy to export and importt all of this info via .csv text files if necessary.

Hope this helps.

-Pete

Reactions: trusso
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.