Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Greetings everyone!
How are our beloved old MacBook Pro?

Just like I said, this week I just installed the latest Sierra 10.12.1 with a fresh install with a PRAM reset, and kept it the first 24h on in order to do all its internal processes. Then, I activated TRIM with the ForceTrim command, and downloaded the voice packs and dictation packs. Oh, and I disabled Siri on the initial configuration.

With all this, I have to say, so far so good. The mac is snappy, I would say better than El Capitan, and the transition efects of the Reduce Motion feature is fantastic in this more GPU limited machines.

Regarding Battery, now I'm getting 8 hours, but in reality they end up in 5-6 hours, which is pretty much the same as with El Capitan.

There are a couple of background processess that are annoying me, like EmojiFunctionRow, that eats up to 3% in CPU, although normally it is on 0,2%, so not a big deal.

If you have any questions for my 2010 13" MBP with 10.12.1, just ask.

Next week I'll perform a clean install of 10.12.2 when it comes out.
I'll share my impressions here, in the MacRumors Forum, in the thread for the 'oldies'.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
MacOS Sierra runs alright with my late 2010 MacBook Air with only 2 GB of RAM, but I do want to upgrade to more RAM cause it takes a second for it to think sometimes.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Sierra running equally well (if not better) as El Capitan on my white plastic MacBook from 2010. It's remarkable how these older machines fare. I feel absolutely no need to upgrade as this one is handling the daily usage (Safari, Email, iTunes etc.) with ease.
Details.jpg

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
@Donza I ha the 2009 model with 2.26GHz cpu.

There is a flash for your model then it will take 16GB ram.
But will take 8GB without the flash.

sadly had to sell mine yesturday.
now using old 2007 macbook pro and cannot get seirra :(

Have you fitted an SSD?

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
@Donza I ha the 2009 model with 2.26GHz cpu.

There is a flash for your model then it will take 16GB ram.
But will take 8GB without the flash.

sadly had to sell mine yesturday.
now using old 2007 macbook pro and cannot get seirra :(

Have you fitted an SSD?

Yep, I think I've got Samsung 256 GB SSD. This is actually my second SSD disk, the first (tiny 80 GB) disk I had from Intel.

Intriguing... Where can I find more info about the flash?
I've been eying 8 GB Corsair set, and now since it looks to be in discount on Amazon I'm quite tempted to place an order...

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
MacOS Sierra runs alright with my late 2010 MacBook Air with only 2 GB of RAM, but I do want to upgrade to more RAM cause it takes a second for it to think sometimes.

really? I have 8gb on my 2010 and even on a cold boot, im using 6gb out of my 8gb. yeah i know unused memory is wasted memory and all that, but the compression algorithm actually kicks in and compresses 1gb. The memory pressure is green but just under the portion where it turns yellow

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
My sierra never used more than 4.6GB total and only 2.3GB for apps on a 2009 unibody.

and I had quite a bit start on boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.