Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaFemme69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Checking that harder works is part of the Power On Self Test (POST) of any computer. The more RAM you have the longer it takes to check that it's all working OK.

thank you.

as a newbie, this is all excellent infos.

please, feed me more!!! :)

----------

It's true the 667 memory doesn't need the huge 'sinks, but the 800's definitely do.
don't cheap out if you're going with 800.

I've decided to go with 667MHz.........price was excellent. Not sure if I would really notice a substantial difference b/w 667 vs 800 to justify for the extra $$$.

----------

The XP941 and those like it are pass-trough adapters and have no driver or firmware, are natively supported on Mac - something that PC has not had until X99 and Z97 motherboards. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19636832/

From Ramcity: "When combined with a M.2 to PCIe adapter, the Samsung XP941 provides class-leading storage performance in desktop machines and is also fully bootable in all cMP Mac Pro models (2006-2012, excluding the 'tube' model)." RAMCity

Works with most motherboards and notebooks with a compatible M.2 PCIe interface slot. Includes Z97 and X99 motherboards and pre-cylindrical Mac Pro. Samsung SM951 NVMe

Transparent to the operating system and does not require any software drivers Sintech M.2(NGFF) PCIe SSD

I am not sure what you mean. you're saying that with these adapters, MP would recognize them as any other 4 bays while going through the boot process and that it would help to boot faster?

thanx.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
----------

[/COLOR]

I am not sure what you mean. you're saying that with these adapters, MP would recognize them as any other 4 bays while going through the boot process and that it would help to boot faster?

thanx.

Instant boot. No controller and has logicboard support. Call this the best Easter egg ever!!

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I have a similar setup but with 64GB 667-MHz Crucial server-grade memory modules and Premier loads in 4 to 5 secs...

I was completely unaware that you could use 8GB DIMMS in the 2008 Mac Pro, allowing more than 32GB.

Not that, with my usage, I need it. I just recently upgraded to 26GB anyway.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
I was completely unaware that you could use 8GB DIMMS in the 2008 Mac Pro, allowing more than 32GB.

Not that, with my usage, I need it. I just recently upgraded to 26GB anyway.

It's possible with the right set of memory modules and I got the idea from a forum post at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3722735?start=15&tstart=0 - The ones I got are the 8GB 2RX4 PC2-5300F-555-12-J0 with the blue heat spreaders and are a product of the US... bought them on ebay for $290

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
I remember reading somewhere that any systems booting off a pcie card will experience a slight delay due to the way how MP boots. internal bays first then controller cards. with my 2006 6700q quad-core, 4GB hackintosh in verbose mode, i do notice it reads from the pcie card as soon as it is . maybe that's why it seems to load faster than the MP. Nevertheless, negligible difference!
I ran a test with the tempo pcie card only and it booted up in 7 seconds after the chime.. It's definitely the areca card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.