Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Ventura isnt horrible. i like monterey better, but ventura is ok

MrScratchHook, thank you all.​

Appreciate all of you folks. Got everything working, even the Wi-Fi.

Jesse's flying video worked flawlessly when the boot screen didn't want to show.

I'll be good to go for a couple of more years in the studio running pro Tools. could have not done it without the help from everyone here. Also my Digi 003 Black Lion audio MOD, is sill sounding amazing, and it's truly hard to tell the difference for high-end interfaces, unless you get into Frossell gear for mastering.

Reactions: MrScratchHook

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
... after half a day , I am suddenly in my personal intuition that some thing has gone wrong : Id Est : a wrongly chosen graphic card "Not Western-produced " , so to say ; a wrongly chosen graphic card " not an MSI one " as esteemably suggested in this regarding site of Ours : am I wrong or what ? LOL ! Best Regards

Cheekyrobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
...I am coming from the actual experience to install , as suggested , a graphic card RX 560 Radeon " ROG STRIX GAMING . on computer Mac Pro Model 5.1
Nothing happens , like the last time I tried to install Radeon 580 Nitro Plus
Both present the same behaviour , while monitor does noT let me see any thing : id est : after some minutes , both would stop their fan movement
Did you make it work? I am having the same problem!

drolson

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
WI
Opencore, have installed it with every macOS on the 3,1 5,1 and the 6,1 and the last one was 14.2.1 Sonoma on all of them, Been using The Nvidia GTX 780Ti and the Nvidia GT 730, They work perfect every Time with every MacOS, I think Opencore patcher has added support for the AMD, To make sure your video card works you have to have it installed so Opencore install knows what video card it is when it installs, Also have a GTX 680 with a Mac boot screen that comes in handy when there is trouble getting a boot screen when installing, if you can do with a GTX 780Ti 3G ( $75 0n eBay ) get one they work every time, When the video don't work I put in the GT 730 2G and you will get video every time also, Have tried two different Gigabyte RX 580's and haven got one working yet, Always go back to the GTX 780Ti the single fan version

Attachments

• GTX 780Ti.jpg
    GTX 780Ti.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 26

Cheekyrobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
Opencore, have installed it with every macOS on the 3,1 5,1 and the 6,1 and the last one was 14.2.1 Sonoma on all of them, Been using The Nvidia GTX 780Ti and the Nvidia GT 730, They work perfect every Time with every MacOS, I think Opencore patcher has added support for the AMD, To make sure your video card works you have to have it installed so Opencore install knows what video card it is when it installs, Also have a GTX 680 with a Mac boot screen that comes in handy when there is trouble getting a boot screen when installing, if you can do with a GTX 780Ti 3G ( $75 0n eBay ) get one they work every time, When the video don't work I put in the GT 730 2G and you will get video every time also, Have tried two different Gigabyte RX 580's and haven got one working yet, Always go back to the GTX 780Ti the single fan version
Do they have metal? I need metal for logic pro X

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
Thank You for the kind interest.
Well: at the moment I have not being able to solve this issue.
I am continuing the use of Mac Pro and its OS High Sierra and the original little graphic´s card .
Nevertheless , so to say , I have been suggested to wait for it and try buying some used graphic card , at the next local electronics fair , in order to catch the right used one , which , maybe , could etc etc etc Lol !

for example : I am now , perhaps , discovering that , with help of this site of Ours , - that graphic card RX 560 Radeon " ROG STRIX GAMING would be an Eastern production , not compatible with other type of computer ( or s.th. like that ... lol)
Therefore I was in my way to reconsider the right and appropriate MSI graphic card RX 560 Radeon: as I have been told that it , too , is of Eastern production , it should, therefore , not be able to solve the issue
Or else , which should become a real surprise to me , I should only think and conceive about an internal computer element which is wrongly behaving and functioning wrongly functioning ... Whoknows ?
Please : let us know how and where to solve those kind of little problems we all have !
Best Regards

drolson

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
WI
Do they have metal? I need metal for logic pro X
They all have Metal or they would not work in the first place, Another one that works if you have it in the computer when you install OpenCore is the Nvidia Quadro K5000 4G, Got one for $35, Works great, I like the GTX 780Ti because it has a led logo, Once you install Opencore with the video card that is in it when it is installed you can't just change to another one most of the time, You have to install it all over again for it to recognize the new video card

Cheekyrobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
They all have Metal or they would not work in the first place, Another one that works if you have it in the computer when you install OpenCore is the Nvidia Quadro K5000 4G, Got one for $35, Works great, I like the GTX 780Ti because it has a led logo, Once you install Opencore with the video card that is in it when it is installed you can't just change to another one most of the time, You have to install it all over again for it to recognize the new video card
well you can change to another one if you revert patches first.....I had all installed with a gt120 and then I changed to the gtx 970 which worked fine.....but I need metal so I reverted patches and installed a amd rog strix radeon rx 560 but it doesnt load the login window, only a black screen after boot

drolson

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
WI
well you can change to another one if you revert patches first.....I had all installed with a gt120 and then I changed to the gtx 970 which worked fine.....but I need metal so I reverted patches and installed a amd rog strix radeon rx 560 but it doesnt load the login window, only a black screen after boot
The GTX 970 happens to be one of the ones that work, got on of those in my Mac 3,1 Certain ones that are Nnvidia Kepler and that is the GTX 780Ti, GT 730 and the Quadra k5000 for sure, Even got a Gigabyte AMD R7970 in a Mac 3,1 and it works, I have tried a RX480 two different RX580's, GT 960 and the don't work and I find out the are said not to work, Get the list of the Nvidia Kepler cards and you will know which one to see if they work, There is info on the AMD's also The R7970 is one but the R7950 is better

Cheekyrobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
why this lists says rx 560 works then?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
A real retail RX 560, works. This means a video card made with the GPU AMD Polaris 21 with 1024 SPs (also called cores).

The problem is that there are south Asia GPU factories that use lowly binned GPUs that only have 896 SPs (or even less), these should be used to make a RX 550, but instead the factories make a Chinese market RX 560 with less SPs.

These low binned GPUs have a different PCIe id than the real RX 560 and Apple AMD drivers do not work with these. Windows/Linux works.

It's easy to identify the GPUs that do not work with macOS with Windows/GPU-Z, look at a different PCIe id than the expected and lower than 1024 SPs (cores).

There are also Lexa GPUs (RX 550 dedicated GPU that AMD made very late and is not supported by macOS) that are renamed as RX 560, these are fake RX 560.

drolson

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
WI
why this lists says rx 560 works then?

Probably because they are talking about a supported Mac and one with Opencore is not, RX 560 use to work with dosdude1 patcher but not with opencore, Want to not have worry about a video card get a Mac Pro 6,1, They work a lot better than a 5,1, Have two 6,1's, Both have a 1TB ssd with Monterey on half and Sonoma 14.2.1 on the other, 2 AMD D500 3G on both and they work with Opencore like there made for it

Last edited:

Cheekyrobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
A real retail RX 560, works. This means a video card made with the GPU AMD Polaris 21 with 1024 SPs (also called cores).

The problem is that there are south Asia GPU factories that use lowly binned GPUs that only have 896 SPs (or even less), these should be used to make a RX 550, but instead the factories make a Chinese market RX 560 with less SPs.

These low binned GPUs have a different PCIe id than the real RX 560 and Apple AMD drivers do not work with these. Windows/Linux works.

It's easy to identify the GPUs that do not work with macOS with Windows/GPU-Z, look at a different PCIe id than the expected and lower than 1024 SPs (cores).

There are also Lexa GPUs (RX 550 dedicated GPU that AMD made very late and is not supported by macOS) that are renamed as RX 560, these are fake RX 560.
the best answer ever, which I had sen an answer like this before I purchased the amd rog strix radeon rx 560 =) thanks

Cheekyrobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
Probably because they are talking about a supposed Mac and one with Opencore is not, RX 560 use to work with dosdude1 patcher but not with opencore, Want to not have worry about a video card get a Mac Pro 6,1, They work a lot better than a 5,1, Have two 6,1's, Both have a 1TB ssd with Monterey on half and Sonoma 14.2.1 on the other, 2 AMD D500 3G on both and they work with Opencore like there made for it
to be fair, i am an armless music producer, yes armless, and I am struggling to afford a quadro k5000 so i cant afford a 6.1. Cant find any quadro k5000 under 100 euros. I really need this metal graphics to get back on my feet.....logic pro x doesnt work properly without metal graphics

drolson

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
WI
to be fair, i am an armless music producer, yes armless, and I am struggling to afford a quadro k5000 so i cant afford a 6.1. Cant find any quadro k5000 under 100 euros. I really need this metal graphics to get back on my feet.....logic pro x doesnt work properly without metal graphics
Then don't use Opencore and Go to dosdude1.com and get the dosdude1 patcher for macOS Catalina and all kinds of Video cards work with it, Even better yet Mojave patcher, I Know almost every Video Card I used works and you can change them back and forth and the still work with no trouble, Catalina is pretty new and a lot of people say it is the best macOS, You can even still clone it and move it to a different computer and it sill works, Don't use OpenCore use dosdude1.com macOS patcher for Catalina or Mojave

Last edited:

Cheekyrobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
Then don't use Opencore and Go to dosedude1.com and get the dosedude1 patcher for macOS Catalina and all kinds of Video cards work with it, Even better yet Mojave patcher, I Know almost every Video Card I used either one works and you can change them back and forth and the still work with no trouble, Catalina is pretty new and a lot of people say it is the best macOS
the latest logic pro x doesnt work on catalina.......akai mpc latest software doesnt work on catalina either.....this is killing me!

drolson

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
WI
the latest logic pro x doesnt work on catalina.......akai mpc latest software doesnt work on catalina either.....this is killing me!
Then don't use the latest because there is a version that works with Catalina and it is only a couple one years old, Most likely the same as the latest anyway, dosdude1.com Catalina patcher is way easier than Opencore and it works, I keep a copy around all the time because if something don't work dasdud1 patched Catalina works all the time on any computer, Just have to forget about the boot screen unless the video card is a flashed Mac boot screen video card, just have to wait for it to boot and it always shows up even if you don't see it

Cheekyrobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
I know dos dude but unfortunately, I cant work with old software.....lets see if I can get a cheap quadro k5000 =)

Cheekyrobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
great news everyone, just purchased a AMD Radeon RX570 4 GB GDDR5 (Sapphire Pulse RX 570)fro macvidcards.eu it was cheaper than a quadro k5000 so lets see if it works ...hopefully it will =)

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
Dear Sir ,
Please : may I ask You What to do ?
I have bought What You suggested ? Or am I wrong once more ? Because even this time I am not able to see nothing , in my monitor Lol!
Should I now try and buy a third auction , on e bay , in order to get a well defined GPU ? lol!
Best Regards

ps It is a GPU Sapphire Radeon Pulse 8 gb Made in China

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Please : may I ask You What to do ?

First thing, you need a GPU that is compatible with macOS, buying random Chinese junk will get you nowhere.

I have bought What You suggested ?

No you didn't, the discussion was about RX 560 GPUs and never was any suggestion of buying a RX 580 from China from my part. The only RX 580 GPUs that are compatible with macOS are the real ones with 2304SPs.

RX 580 with 2048SPs are not supported by macOS, is a RX 470/570 GPU ship that was factory flashed/faked as "RX 580 2048SPs" for the internal Chinese market. These are not a real RX 580 GPU and Apple GPU drivers do not support it.

Or am I wrong once more ?

Seems you already know that, no?

Because even this time I am not able to see nothing , in my monitor Lol!

Test the GPU with a PC, maybe you got a defective one instead of a 2048SPs. If the GPU works, then check the number of shaders (SPs) with GPU-z.

Should I now try and buy a third auction , on e bay , in order to get a well defined GPU ? lol!
Best Regards

Whatever you do/buy, be sure that you are buying one that is compatible with macOS. A Chinese market "RX 580 2048SPs" is not compatible with macOS. Same for RX 550 made with Lexa GPUs that we discussed here previously.

drolson

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
WI
Mac Pro 5,1 and 6,1, Have two of each and a lot of video cards, The Mac 5,1 and Dortania OpenCore 1.4.3 the RX580 video cards do not work, The ones that do are evga GT 730 evga GTX 780Ti, evga GT 970, AMD 7970, 7950 and the Nvidia Quadro K5000 all with Dortania OpenCore 1.4.3 and macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, With the 6,1 the AMD D500 video works like it was made for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, For the 5,1 there might be more that will work but I defiantly know these do, The evga GTX 780Ti with 3GB is the best then the Nvidia Quadro K5000 with 4GB

7Muse7Eech

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
First thing, you need a GPU that is compatible with macOS, buying random Chinese junk will get you nowhere.

No you didn't, the discussion was about RX 560 GPUs and never was any suggestion of buying a RX 580 from China from my part. The only RX 580 GPUs that are compatible with macOS are the real ones with 2304SPs.

RX 580 with 2048SPs are not supported by macOS, is a RX 470/570 GPU ship that was factory flashed/faked as "RX 580 2048SPs" for the internal Chinese market. These are not a real RX 580 GPU and Apple GPU drivers do not support it.

Seems you already know that, no?

Test the GPU with a PC, maybe you got a defective one instead of a 2048SPs. If the GPU works, then check the number of shaders (SPs) with GPU-z.

Whatever you do/buy, be sure that you are buying one that is compatible with macOS. A Chinese market "RX 580 2048SPs" is not compatible with macOS. Same for RX 550 made with Lexa GPUs that we discussed here previously.
oh ...Well : Thank You once more ! It appears That I have been too quick , in my bad choices Best Regards

OVERKILL338LM

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Mac Pro 5,1 and 6,1, Have two of each and a lot of video cards, The Mac 5,1 and Dortania OpenCore 1.4.3 the RX580 video cards do not work, The ones that do are evga GT 730 evga GTX 780Ti, evga GT 970, AMD 7970, 7950 and the Nvidia Quadro K5000 all with Dortania OpenCore 1.4.3 and macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, With the 6,1 the AMD D500 video works like it was made for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, For the 5,1 there might be more that will work but I defiantly know these do, The evga GTX 780Ti with 3GB is the best then the Nvidia Quadro K5000 with 4GB
What RX580 did you try? I'm using an MSI and it works perfectly, as has been the case for most people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.