Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfederau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Hello, I know this has been discussed many times in this forum. I have triad different utilities (PleaseSleep, etc) and procedures, but nothing seems to work. I am just wondering if anybody has found a solution to the issue of the MacPro not going to sleep issue? Mine is an early 2008 model. Thanks in advance.

Note: might there be a script that gets executed after a set period of time that would put the computer to sleep?

HF

yomibro

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
Not sure what other procedures/things you have tried but I had a similar issue with my system before, back then I was running 10.5.2 and when I installed the 10.5.3 update when it came out it solved my sleep issue.

Maybe you want to try and re-install 10.5.6 and see if that will work?

hfederau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
MacPro sleep issue

Thanks yomibro, do I just download the file from the Apple website and run it?

HF

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I think you have to find out WHY it's not sleeping 1st - before you can find a solution. Download X-Tools and fire up the I/O monitor.

--
Mine sleeps nicely BTW. OS X has the best sleep of any OS I've ever used. 1.5 seconds to sleep, 3 seconds to wake. Sweet!

hfederau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
MacPro sleep issue

Thanks Tesselator, I wish I could, but it seems that I have run out of options. I have followed the Apple recommended procedures to reset the SMC, I looked at background running processes and killed the ones I thought might cause the issue, I unplugged USB devices (other than keyboard and mouse). The only thing I can think of might be my Time Capsule. I was using Airport Extreme before as my main router and I switched to the Time Capsule for external storage and wireless network. I am not sure where else to look.

HF

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Some people have found success by doing an archive and install of Mac OS but this isn't a guarantee that it will work since some people still experience the non-sleep issue after the archive install.

BTW can you put the mac to sleep manually?

yomibro

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
Thanks yomibro, do I just download the file from the Apple website and run it?

HF

If you already have 10.5.6 installed then I guess you have to download from the Apple website and run the update manually, unless you (or someone in this forum) knows a way to have system update re-download the update and install it.

Alternatively you can wait for the 10.5.7 update if it's not a real urgent issue, just put your Mac to sleep manually.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
i was running into issues with sleep as well...

but once i turned off the input password after sleep,

now it sleeps very quickly and it wakes very fast as well.

i also have pleasesleep enabled,

but it now works with out the password stuff clicked

hfederau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
No, sorry Tesselator, I didn't download the X-Tools. Once I do, is the IO Monitor part of the package? What will the IO Monitor tell me?

If you already have 10.5.6 installed then I guess you have to download from the Apple website and run the update manually, unless you (or someone in this forum) knows a way to have system update re-download the update and install it.

Alternatively you can wait for the 10.5.7 update if it's not a real urgent issue, just put your Mac to sleep manually.

Thanks yomibro, I just heard about 10.5.7 today! Hopefully it will fix the issue for me, otherwise I might have to do a full OS reinstall

i was running into issues with sleep as well...

but once i turned off the input password after sleep,

now it sleeps very quickly and it wakes very fast as well.

i also have pleasesleep enabled,

but it now works with out the password stuff clicked

What version of PleaseSleep are you using? When I click on mine it doesn't even show up so I can set it up.

DuaneWayne

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
MacPro sleep issue

If you bring up a terminal and type more /var/log/system.log you should see what device is waking up your box. Mine has been annoying me by waking up by itself and never going to sleep and I finally started poking around. My log shows this:

May 30 23:22:00 MacPro kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Down on en2
May 30 23:22:01 MacPro kernel[0]: System Sleep
May 31 09:23:00 MacPro kernel[0]: Wake reason = UHC4
May 31 09:23:00 MacPro kernel[0]: System Wake
May 31 09:23:00 MacPro kernel[0]: Previous Sleep Cause: 5
May 31 09:23:00 MacPro kernel[0]: USB (UHCI):port 2 on bus 0x1a has remote wakeup from some device

Now i need to track down what device the above is. I haven't gotten around to that yet. It's either my ups, keyboard or mouse or a PS3 eye.

If you want to watch IO (or any number of other things), you can do it with dtrace which is built-in. I was watching IO on my 09 MacPro to try to see what was going on and it showed this:

Sat May 30 23:22:00 2009 ?? ??/libexec/airportd
R
Sun May 31 09:23:00 2009 ?? ??/sbin/periodic
R
Sun May 31 09:23:00 2009 ?? ??/libexec/dirhelper
R

Periodic was the first thing run when the box woke up but it doesn't seem likely that it's my problem.

Hope it help.

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
Do you have a Wacom tablet? I found that was the cause on mine. Or it may be another USB device.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
No, sorry Tesselator, I didn't download the X-Tools. Once I do, is the IO Monitor part of the package? What will the IO Monitor tell me?

Yeah, it's part of the Dev package. There's "Core Data" which is an "Instruments" template that traces Core Data filesystem activity, including fetches, cache misses, saves and etc. and then there's "File Activity" which is another "Instruments" template. It monitors file and directory activity, including file open/close calls, file permission modifications, directory creation, file moves, etc.. "Instruments is also customizable to you can get it to monitor and record the activities for almost anything.

If something isn't working looking at the recorded data may reveal why. Set up your system for going to sleep in a very short time and watch what happens at the time it's supposed to go to sleep. If nothing at all seems to happen then record what happens while you're setting those settings - etc.

I dunno if it will help or not but you sound fairly intent on solving this and this is one of the tools people use to figure out what's going on in situations like this.

BTW, I "LOL'ed" in my previous post because I think "Apple recommended procedures" never help almost anything. :D

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
mine pulled this stunt a fews months ago. It was related to the graphic card (which ended up not working at all and being replaced) Apple doesn't have a solution for it, trust me Ive called 100 times. Run a hardware test.

DuaneWayne

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Sleep issue

It turns out that the device waking up my machine is my APC UPS. I could yank the usb cable, but then no graceful shutdown...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.