Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I just wanted to say I've been on the forums for about 7-8 years, and the thing I've always appreciated about MR is how efficient and polished this website is. Everything loads so quickly, notifications come and go seamlessly, and it has literally every feature that I'd ever want in a forum (including a sarcastic userbase).

What forum software is this by the way? Hats off to those who maintain this website :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The forum software is Xenforo, which has received high praise from many users and has become pretty popular with webmasters who use discussion forums on their websites. Back in the old days the "gold standard" was vBulletin, but while that program is also still around, it has been surpassed by Xenforo in terms of versatility, flexibility and usability for webmasters and forum users alike.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
The forum software is Xenforo, which has received high praise from many users and has become pretty popular with webmasters who use discussion forums on their websites. Back in the old days the "gold standard" was vBulletin, but while that program is also still around, it has been surpassed by Xenforo in terms of versatility, flexibility and usability for webmasters and forum users alike.
Thanks! I understand the adulation. The other forum I'm most active on is built off of MyBB and it's clearly inferior.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Xenforo is not inexpensive, though, and ditto for vBulletin, so that is why many webmasters who have smaller sites or anticipate smaller discussion forums go with either a free service such as ProBoards or Forumotion or with relatively inexpensive but not as robust and full-featured as the top paid services.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Well said, I have always been loyal to VB but it simply can't compete with Xenforo at this point. It's streamlined, well thought out in terms of design/structure/usability and the notifications system is the best of any BB out there IMO. It's too bad that VB wasn't able to keep up with the times and it was smart for MR to make this move, it definitely modernized their site.

Reactions: Clix Pix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.