Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
WOW! With the better image quality, this does change everything! The seams are barely visible and I think the flat square design is even simpler than the rounded back design, making it even more minimalistic, true to Apple. The screen and the back now look the same, they're both flat, black and shiny, making the phone look very consistent. Whether this is really going to be the iPhone or not, I really like it.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
You know what, I love it. The fact that is a lot compact than the original is better, but I think that with today's technology it seems a little chunky and square, why not make the illusion as Apple always do with the iMacs, small at the corners and fat in the middle to create a more slick device?

It looks different, but it doesn't look as Apple innovative kind of different. Anyway it was time to change and bring a new device that create another standard.

It is possible that this device is the long time rumored iPhone Nano? the limited version open to the others carriers?

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
It's a bit ugly compared to the iPhone 3GS. But not butt-ugly. Its appearance wouldn't stop me from buying it, but, likewise, its appearance alone wouldn't motivate me to go buy it either.

Now... front-facing camera, larger rear camera with flash, higher resolution screen and (hopefully) faster processor..... those would motivate me! :D

Mark

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Hmmm . . . the more I see it the more it's growing on me. I might actually like this new look.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As I said, product photography is a specialized field. Most people don't have what it takes to make a product look good in photographs.

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
This design is the first one I've seen where an Apple device looks like it could have come from another company. It's a pretty design, but there's something very "Sony-Ericsson" or "Nokia" about the buttons, about the bezel, etc. That's not to say the functionality isn't agreat, and I'm sure iPhone OS 4.0 will be a great step-change for the line.

Also, isn't this essentially stolen property? If you found a phone on the ground in a cafe, you wouldn't be legally allowed to take it home and disassemble it, right?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I feel this iteration is a step backwards for a number of reasons. The design as a whole is much less familiar as an iPhone and an Apple product. The classic silver bezel is gone as are the simplistic lines that grace all of Apple's industrial designs. By removing the curved backing, Apple has taken away ergonomic considerations, something they were careful to champion when the first iPhone and even the iPad were released.

A fair point - but as the iPhone gets slimmer, it's less important to have a curved back. As long as the edges aren't too sharp, it's not going to become a deal-breaker.

keiths29

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
Florida
Not over 'til its over

First off its awesome. But Apple has been know to build prototypes that never make it into production. Two cameras? Only if Sir Steve deems it so.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Now I'm laughing at the guy who said 60% hate the new design. :D

Seems coincidental that Macrumors creates this poll after what was said by that clown.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It defeats the purpose if you have forum spy set to ignore macrumors poll discussions and you put a poll on the front page.

I like the fact that it's not curved. That's about it so far.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
The only thing I like about the design is that it's thinner. Other than that, it's dullsville.

I hope it's not heavier.

Features-wise, the thing seems great. Except I'd have liked a bigger screen in addition to the higher resolution.

TexasBlake

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
Houston, Tx
A fair point - but as the iPhone gets slimmer, it's less important to have a curved back. As long as the edges aren't too sharp, it's not going to become a deal-breaker.

It's not thickness that makes radius good, it's width. Flip your phone over to where the screen is against your palm. It's the WIDTH of the phone that makes you feel the edges and want a radius.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Same screen size = fail

Apple cares about pixel density, not screen size. If Gruber is correct, Apple is trying to approach the quality of print:

A 3.5-inch diagonal display with 960 × 640 pixels works out to around 325-330 ppi. (Maybe even higher, if it’s more like a 3.4-inch diagonal.) That’s fewer “dots” per inch than on, say, a 600 dpi printer, but when combined with anti-aliasing, I believe the on-screen typography on the next-gen iPhones will be indistinguishable, or nearly so, from high-quality print. There will be four pixels packed into the space now occupied by a single pixel.

Here is the complete post, worth a read.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
This iteration looks like it was designed for blockheads, not people with hands. I loved the weight and feel of the original iphone. The rounded bottom gave the phone a nice center of gravity. If you don't appreciate curves, you need to get out more.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Reminds me of:

nokia-n78-pictures03.jpg

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Now I'm laughing at the guy who said 60% hate the new design. :D

Seems coincidental that Macrumors creates this poll after what was said by that clown.

Looks like 26% hate it right now. I think if they were to see it in person most would change their minds. I love minimalist aesthetic and use of artifact-like materials though, so for me this design is a big improvement.

Dmich116

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
TriBeCa
At first I hated it, now I'm starting to like it a bit more. It looks like a phone rather than a toy that it was before!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.