Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsurisuto

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Congratulations!

And big thank you for helping get my current job. I wouldn't know half the things I know about the Mac if it wasn't for MacRumors.

I hope the site grows even more... I look forward to MacRumors reaching it 10th million post!

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I've been a reader - and occasional poster - here for a long time, but I must say I don't know much about the report button. I'd be surprised if I was the only one. Maybe a link to the rules of when, why and how of reporting would be useful. I tried to click the FAQ/Rules button but, for some reason, it doesn't seem to work at the moment.

$ I've never been able to access the forum rules, and didn't know what the little guy was all about either = me too! :rolleyes:

would it be a good idea to also mention to everyone to keep up to date on the forum rules? i've certainly noticed a few more breaches of them regularly :rolleyes:

note the link there in my previous post ;)

it is, and always has been, easily accessible from guides.macrumors.com.

apparently the button towards the top of the page died during a forum software upgrade and hasn't played ball since... :rolleyes:

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
Is MacRumors a "real" company?

I have a serious question.

Is MacRumors a "real" company? On the Stock Market?
Meaning, MacRumors has an office (somewhere) with full time employees that get a pay check with medical insurance and benefits? or is MacRumors created by Arn running a server in his basement?

Please don't take my post as being disrespectful. Im genuine in asking who owns MacRumors? How does MacRumors make money? Does Arn own MacRumors?

I saw Arn on MSNBC - Does MacRumors get paid for interviews on TV?

Do all the moderators work for Arn? or do they all work full time jobs and just post as a hobby?

Does someone literally sift thru the Internet all day long looking for any info on the Internet regarding Apple News/Rumors?

Does Arn have direct access to people at Apple?

Who is Jelsoft Enterprises?

I just think MacRumors and its origin is very interesting and exciting!

How does MacRumors hold all this info (millions of posts)? Xserve? Data Centers?

Arn, would you care to give your members some history about MacRumors and how it all began? Please?

Thanks for your time!:D

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Moore

There are lots of ways of looking at the exponential growth of the posts. Here's another: since about 1 million posts (a good place to start) it looks like the number of posts has been following...

Moore's Law.

Freaky... I'd like to see where this leaves us in a few years. 16 million posts by August 2010? Any takers?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
the graph shows an exponential curve. judging the best I can, here's what I see:

PHP:
Months it took            Post Milestone
       42	                  1000000
       18	                  2000000
        9	                  3000000
       12	                  4000000

I predict 10 Million posts in approximately 5 years.

Do I win something if I'm right? :D

Wait...didn't it say that it took 10 months for 3 million posts and 9 months for 4 million?

And I think we'll hit 5 million posts by the end of the year or early January. There are a lot more new people here now than 9 months ago. I'm guessing 10 million posts by mid 2009.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I have lots of respect for macrumors, as they never forgot who their users were and who their base was. as a long time spymac member and active member before the expansion, I am glad to see macrumors didn't sell out to try to make a quick buck and basically tell its members to go jump.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
I have lots of respect for macrumors, as they never forgot who their users were and who their base was. as a long time spymac member and active member before the expansion, I am glad to see macrumors didn't sell out to try to make a quick buck and basically tell its members to go jump.

I did notice how SpyMac is totally dead now. Interesting comments you made. I went to go look at SpyMac and I thought I was on a MySpace page! Horrible!!!

MacRumors has such a professional look to it. Almost like a News Blog. Even Think Secret's Web Page looks long in the tooth old.

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
Thanks to all, the site people, the supporters, the...

As a newby, I think it's important to recognize those who made all of this possible. I'd first like to thank my parents for having me. And then of course my agent. But most importantly then, my lawyer, who set out to make this shark ride the greatest man-eating machine in the industry.

And of course, my fans. Thank you. All of you, without whom none of this could have been possible.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I did notice how SpyMac is totally dead now. Interesting comments you made. I went to go look at SpyMac and I thought I was on a MySpace page! Horrible!!!

MacRumors has such a professional look to it. Almost like a News Blog. Even Think Secret's Web Page looks long in the tooth old.

After Jan 2004, spymac basically said to its members that it was more important to grow in size thanks to their new 1GB email service rather than keeping the community that was. I had lots of fun and interesting times there, but after their "version 3" launched, the community was gone. We had lots of spammers come in and most of the old users left. Some of the best we had couldn't take it anymore. Since then, they have launched a Myspace/Youtube hybrid looking site which has essentially taken spymac out of the mac community for good. It isn't even a mac site, anymore. The forums are still there somewhere, but last time I checked, the most recent threads were from June.

It's sad that the owners got greedy and ruined one of the best mac community on the net from 2002-2004. I racked up 10,000 posts there before I left. Now, no one I know is there.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
congratulations.JPG

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Congrats MR. It has really grown big, recently. I don't think I'll submit an entry for this contest but for the 5 million post contest, we should do something like Engadget did.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Congratulation, Macrumors! Keep up the great work. This has been one of my "visit daily" sites for many years, and there's no other site out there that can match the frenetic energy of this place right before an Apple event or when a hot rumor is circulating or anytime before a given Tuesday. :rolleyes: :D

That reminds me. I hear a rumor from a very reliable albeit completely anonymous source that you guys are already working on the 5 millionth post and plan to unveil it sometime later this year. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but hey... my source is pretty credible.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I wonder if any old-schoolers are still around and remember me....I was among the first to tread these grounds.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Do all the moderators work for Arn? or do they all work full time jobs and just post as a hobby?

All the moderators, including me, are volunteers. I have a full time job and this is just one of my volunteering activities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.