Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anti-Pop Superhero

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
somewhere out there...
For those of you commenting on your experience supporting Windows, can you add which versions of Windows you were supporting? I'd like to know if the effort to support Windows is getting better, worse, or not changing much.
I've supported XP to Win 8 and all had issues constantly whether it was malware, corrupted .ini files, print spooling restarts, corrupted profiles, endless updates out the box, etc. and then there's the software vendor issues. I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: ErikGrim

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Maybe it more IBM PC Support team doesn't know what they are doing? You can image PC's however you want to make it "easy" for users to use. I don't think Macs are "inheritently" more user friendly than PCs at least up to Windows 8. That's a pretty tired myth. Although I will say Windows Metro is a confused mess right now. But Yosemite vs. Win 7, not much difference really - in terms of usability.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
My husband just got a new Dell laptop from his company and after a full day on the phone with IT of trying to get it up and running he sent it back and told them he would just try to keep using his old one. Not that his old one doesn't have issues but the new one just wouldn't work right even though it was all set up before they mailed it to him. Of course on days like that... one isn't very productive... well the IT person is working but my husband sure wasn't getting anything done.

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
As an IBM employee.... the worst time in this company was the 24 days I had to endure with my PC.. Brand new out of the box, it just wouldn't work. NO internet connection, no email. the computer lagged. This and that.

My 13 inch pro..... Thank you jesus.. Thanks

Reactions: ErikGrim

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
So according to you the 130 000 Apple devices deployed to IBMs 400 000 employees have all gone to previous Apple fans? Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that IBM had that many Apple fans. I wonder if all large, PC-oriented companies are hiding closeted Apple fans?

Or you could be wrong and the Apple experience really is better. Hmmm....
The initial demand will taper off. He's right. No need to bash him. At IBM you only get a new laptop every 3-5 years. Once everyone gets one, it will go down to new hires,replacement of broken/lost laptops,upgrades from users being allowed to upgrade. But I don't see IBM buying 150k units per year, every year.

We also get iPads as well (sales teams atleast)

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
As an IBM employee.... the worst time in this company was the 24 days I had to endure with my PC.. Brand new out of the box, it just wouldn't work. NO internet connection, no email. the computer lagged. This and that.

My 13 inch pro..... Thank you jesus.. Thanks
lol
I almost believed you.

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
In my office everything started to run really slow. We have just macs. At the ends it was one of the routers in the network, after resetting it... no more problems. We are editing HD content from 4 computers at same time and the server is a Mac Mini with a raid connected via Thunderbold. We are editing directly form that iMac via network using regular cat 6 cables. No problems, just the router once.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
FIVE percent vs 40 percent? I wouldn't have even guessed that. Wow. The truth is in the numbers.

I'm not surprised. I get a free Dell laptop at work. After several consecutive weeks of losing 45 minutes trouble-shooting getting the laptop on the network, I gave it back to the IT guys. I got their permission to use a Mac on the network. This prompted the usual "we're not touching that thing with a 10 foot pole" response from the IT department, but at the end of six months, I've never had a problem with my mac that I had to call them for. I even ended up buying a Macbook Air for a co-worker that I depend on, because she kept being unable to do her work.

Sometimes you need something that 'just works'. It still surprises me, though, that a large corporation figured this out.

Ray mr

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
NYC metro
Actually, for many users, Win10 not only downloads itself without asking, but install itself when you restart your PC. There are plenty of users reporting that.
I never cared for Windows, but I always trusted MS over Google. But now this the new MS outgoogling Google :
http://arstechnica.com/information-...-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/
http://arstechnica.com/information-...ndows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/
http://arstechnica.com/information-...ccused-of-adding-spy-features-to-windows-7-8/

And yes, I am now trusting IBM over MS. Ironic isn't it ? I am old enough to have lived through the " IBM-is-a-cold-hearted-Big-Brother-dark-monolith" era. How things change...

If you don't want your private life or business data "monetised", the only choices remaining now are Apple and Linux.

Plus Lenovo machines send data to their manufacturer in China.

dvkid

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
This is not a fair comparison. In general, Mac users are more intelligent than PC users. That's why the Macs require less management and help from the sys admins.

The article doesn't seem to suggest the employees get to pick which OS their new computers run. So the traditional bias on the part of Apple customers doesn't apply here.

If a Mac shows up in your cubicle, it says nothing about your personal preferences or experience.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
My husband just got a new Dell laptop from his company and after a full day on the phone with IT of trying to get it up and running he sent it back and told them he would just try to keep using his old one. Not that his old one doesn't have issues but the new one just wouldn't work right even though it was all set up before they mailed it to him. Of course on days like that... one isn't very productive... well the IT person is working but my husband sure wasn't getting anything done.

That's a representation of an appalling I.T department rather than a bad Dell notebook.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
That's a representation of an appalling I.T department rather than a bad Dell notebook.

Who knows? They never figured out what was wrong so I can't say for sure. I'm sure they could use a better IT department but it is a huge company. One would think they could get some smart people to help. My husband does have to frequently call for help and leave his computer for them to fix while they access it remotely. It is mind boggling really.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Well, lately what I'm seeing is the first wave of harsh comments coming from haters, and then some Apple supporter fight back....
But seriously the level of hysteria on this forum has reached an unimaginable height.
Our user base has diversified due to popularity . In my opinion it was much more cultured pre 2007 :)

Read the article again, statistics tends to be a misleading bitch: "Just five percent of employees using Macs call IBM's internal help desk for troubleshooting, while 40 percent of the company's PC users make calls to the help desk."

40% of IBM's users <> 40% of the company's PC users that make calls to the help desk.

Point is the Same. Troubling % calling help desk . One I would suggest is unrealistic , or as I said its for tribal things like password resets.

Actually, for many users, Win10 not only downloads itself without asking, but install itself when you restart your PC. There are plenty of users reporting that.
I never cared for Windows, but I always trusted MS over Google. But now this the new MS outgoogling Google :
http://arstechnica.com/information-...-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/
http://arstechnica.com/information-...ndows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/
http://arstechnica.com/information-...ccused-of-adding-spy-features-to-windows-7-8/

And yes, I am now trusting IBM over MS. Ironic isn't it ? I am old enough to have lived through the " IBM-is-a-cold-hearted-Big-Brother-dark-monolith" era. How things change...

If you don't want your private life or business data "monetised", the only choices remaining now are Apple and Linux.
I'll be honest , I don't have distrust issues for any of them . If I did I would not trust IBM just cause they are a partner of Apple. That partnership means jack in regards to IBM being trustworthy. Still the same dieing relic. Apple has its own issues with cloud , and IBM the answer .... Hmmm

Last edited by a moderator:

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
There really isn't such a thing is "killing jobs". If someone loses a job, normally they go to work somewhere else, unless they just go on welfare and have taxpayers take care of them... I suppose that's becoming more and more common these days.

A little bit of a generalization or just ignorance? Lots of folks have been displaced from jobs and have had a difficult time finding a job with sufficient living income. Corporations are sitting on huge stocks of cash and not really investing in new hires. It's not because they are strapped because of excessive taxation or regulation. Perhaps their executives want larger bonuses for "trimming the fat" (i.e. greed).
There's more automation, much of the manufacturing is done overseas for cheaper labor costs. There's only so much blood you can squeeze from "service industry" jobs.
Also, it's not so easy to just "go on welfare and have taxpayers take care of them".
The current job market and economy is very complex and not the simplistic tripe in your post.

Reactions: jhwalker

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I wonder if apple would try to buy IBM. Seems like a interesting concept from a distance but closer up not so much.
IBM has very deep roots in the Ivy Leauge to where selling the company would be as heretical as building on the Harvard Yard. The IBM board and Watson family would turning it into a historic institute before selling it.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
A little bit of a generalization or just ignorance? Lots of folks have been displaced from jobs and have had a difficult time finding a job with sufficient living income. Corporations are sitting on huge stocks of cash and not really investing in new hires. It's not because they are strapped because of excessive taxation or regulation. Perhaps their executives want larger bonuses for "trimming the fat" (i.e. greed).
There's more automation, much of the manufacturing is done overseas for cheaper labor costs. There's only so much blood you can squeeze from "service industry" jobs.
Also, it's not so easy to just "go on welfare and have taxpayers take care of them".
The current job market and economy is very complex and not the simplistic tripe in your post.
It's lovely how people like you always seem to need to end your replies with insults. It says a lot about your character.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
This is good for Apple but I don't see many large corporations wanting to spend the kind of money that apple charges for hardware.

TyreeJackson

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2015
This seems to align with my personal experience in system administration. When I was a .NET programmer and running Windows, I was terrible ineffective and spent a lot of time troubleshooting issues or helping others with problems on their own Windows machines. I switched to Mac in 2006 and I could have been happier. My blood pressure is down and my productivity is up. I can tell Windows users I don't know how to fix their problem (because I honestly don't know what to do with that 40-bit hexadecimal error code in the registry) and I just hook them up with Macs. I set them up and basically forget them.
Wow, this is virtually identical to my experience, though I am still a .Net dev. Switched in 06 to a first gen Mac Pro, and never looked back. It's nice no longer being free tech support, since I can honestly say that I don't sit around trouble shooting Windows in my spare time anymore.

TyreeJackson

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2015
I'm curious what exactly people do to their pcs to break them. My college laptop from 2004 still works, dont use it anymore, but it works. My desktop from 2007 has upgraded parts and is still my main desktop (core 2 quad extreme edition, ssd, new gpu - dont use the pc to game anymore, work related now mostly). Laptop from 2010 still going strong, added ram, ssd, can upgrade gpu if I want. Both on latest windows 10 and wouldnt be on latest osx if they were macs. I didn't buy the cheapest thing on the market when it was new, but they sure seem to last.. Perhaps it helps that I have some technical knowledge, but I couldnt see myself still using an unupgradable imac from 2007.
Nonsense. I have a Mac mini from 2009 running latest OS X and I'm about to upgrade a MacBook Pro from late 2008 to the latest OS X. The only macs affected by the transition to 64bit only were the old 32 bit machines and the first gen Mac pros that had 32bit EFIs. Here is the list of minimum machines for El Capitan:

• iMac (Mid-2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or newer), (15-inch, Mid / Late 2007 or newer), (17-inch, Late 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac Mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
IBM has very deep roots in the Ivy Leauge to where selling the company would be as heretical as building on the Harvard Yard. The IBM board and Watson family would turning it into a historic institute before selling it.

Didn't realize that the Watsons still had a stake in IBM. I guess logistically speaking it would be a strange merger as well as it would take a huge chunk of money also

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
People - come on! I remember the IBM-Apple agreement from last year. This is obviously part of the deal. Like any other big company they tell their people what to use. Whether Macs were great or not, their people get told to use them.

If people are going to swallow everything in a press release as it it is gospel, god help you - you are primed for manipulation. This is business.

IBM is falling apart, this whole deal stinks of anti-Microsoft.

Already corporate execs are falling over themselves ordering Surface Books...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.