Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
I had problem installing macsbug, it says installing just drop it to 'system folder' where 'finder' and 'system' reside.

So I do Find->finder, it is in CoreServices folder, is it the same as 'system folder'

Under Computer->Harddrive, there is a folder called 'system' too, which one is the 'system folder' that macsbug mentioned?

anyways, So I try to drop them(drag and drop) to the two folders, they both gave me error saying system folder cannot be modifired.

So, I am stuck.

Please help.

Thanks

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I'm pretty sure Macbugs was for pre-OS X operating systems. I don't recall ever seeing it availabe for OS X.

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
that is quick response.

do u know anything equivalent to MacsBug for OS X?

I have 10.2 Jaguar.

thanks

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Unfortunately, I don't as I never really used it. As I recall it was a program that would try to catch errors and give some feed back so programmers could try to fix it. Maybe you should look into the Console program in your Utilities folder. It is supposed to report errors as well.

Someone else may be of more help than I.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
MacsBug was pretty specific for OS 9 coding/testing. UNIX has better utilities built in.

What exactly are you trying to debug? Chances are good there's a debugger already on your system, or could be if you installed the Developer kit...

paul

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
thanks.

I did found out that GDB is the debugging tool for OS X.
Also Emacs is the GUI for GDB to use. but I havne't been able to find out more.

what am I trying to debug? Basically I just want to start programming low level in Mac, so I wrote a small app, then I like to know how the low level of Mac handles every bit of this application. The application don't do much, just display a hello world in a window. I wrote it in assembly.

So I want to be able to set a break point somewhere in the kernel(it might not be, but as far as i know so far), want to find out how Mac handles windows, displaying text, storing application-wise informtion(plist) etc, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.