Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
Hey guys and gals! So I just bought my ticket to Macworld last week and I'm looking at hotels. I've called a few in Downtown San Fran and they all require you to be 21+ to rent a room. Does anyone know of any good hotels within 30min of the city that will rent to 18+? Thanks!

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Hey guys and gals! So I just bought my ticket to Macworld last week and I'm looking at hotels. I've called a few in Downtown San Fran and they all require you to be 21+ to rent a room. Does anyone know of any good hotels within 30min of the city that will rent to 18+? Thanks!

I have no idea on the age issue, but the Chancellor is one of the best in that area!

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
My main concern is they have to be able to rent to 18+, I'm just hoping some people in my situation have gone before! :)

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
as far as I know it's illegal to rent to anyone under 21 (it's that way here in Canada). I remember last year I went to Saint John, New Brunswick to visit family. My family thought I was coming the weekend after I arrived. I ended up stranded at the airport, unable to rent a car or a hotel room. And the closest family (other than the ones I was supposed to be staying with) were 3 hours away. Good times.

Edit: Sorry, I don't mean to discourage you at all. I could be wrong. Hopefully you find somewhere!

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
When I travel for work, I always seem to be put up at the city's Intercontinental. If I remember correctly, the Intercontinental San Francisco is adjacent to the Moscone convention center. For some reason I have memory of some very young people checking in there. I didn't check their ages, but they may well have been under 21. It might be worth checking that out. Then again, the rules may have changed since I haven't been to one in the US in years. I believe that they have since reconstructed the hotel, so I don't know if that would change any policy, either. I get put up in their facilities abroad all the time, mainly in Frankfurt am Main, and they've always been nice.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
There are quite a few motels on Lombard Street that will not ask too many questions. When I first visited San Francisco, I was definitely under 21 and they did not care. I think the one we stayed at was called San Francisco Motor Inn or something like that. There are a few others if this one does not exist any more. They are cheaper than downtown locations as well, but of course they are not luxury places.

Lombard St is a safe location, a few blocks away from Chestnut St, which is a quite popular place for the young crowd with a lot of restaurants, bars coffee shops and an Apple Store :) . If you check the address of Apple Store, you'll see the popular part of Chestnut Store. (Chestnut street is quite long and the rest of it is residential.) Lombard is also close to other attractions such as Marina, Palace of Fine Arts (this is actually a nice park, not a museum), Fisherman's Wharf and North Beach ("Little Italy" of SF.) Golden Gate bridge is not that far, either.

It is not that close to downtown, but I remember taking the bus to downtown and cabs cannot cost too much either if you are pressed for time.

Have fun...

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
So I got reservations at a La Quinta about 15 miles away from the Moscone Center. They didn't have any problems with under 21, so I'm pretty stoked now.

On another note, we're only going to the Expo for one day and we have a whole extra day free. What's interesting to do in San Fransisco?

Sizzlor

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2008
Cheap and effective

If you want a cheap and closer alternative than a dive motel on Lombard you could always go with the Green Tortoise backpackers hostel(http://www.greentortoise.com), they have free wi-fi as well as beds in dorm rooms for like $25, or private rooms for like $50 or $60. it's located right between north beach and chinatown so it's not too far from downtown and there is plenty to see in the city around it. I know for sure that under 21 is not a problem there at all as they are a hostel. Just thought I would add that, especially knowing what the La Quinta would be charging I would personally save the money and switch on over. But to each their own, and maybe my suggestion can help other looking for a place to stay.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
The first year I went to WWDC (which is also at the Moscone Center), I stayed at Pickwick with a roommate (helped cut costs a bit, still expensive). The 2nd I stayed with some guys from http://airbedandbreakfast.com, which is probably the cheapest option you'll get outside of a hostel. This year for Macworld I'm back at Pickwick :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You might try the Holiday Inn Civic Center. I've always stayed there, about a 15 minute walk to the Moscone Center. Not sure if they have any age limitations. The rates were about $110 a night last I checked. This hotel is right next to a BART stop and just off Market Street, so if it rains you can easily take a bus, Muni train or a streetcar to the expo.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
So where is a really classy steak and seafood restaurant? We want to go somewhere nice on monday night. Like a place you would wear a suit to :cool:

bourne99

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
Hostels, Steaks, and The Supermeet

Here's a google search on SF Hostels

http://tinyurl.com/7ksmul

I am not sure what security is like, but there are some really nice hostels in SF, and many of them have private or semi private rooms. It seems the traffic to MacWorld may be light this year, but the hotels are still pricey. I would suggest contacting hotels directly and see if you can dicker a good deal.

skype is cheap to make calls.

The Mosser Victorian Hotel is nice and right on 4th St.

Steaks:

Annabelle's at the Mosser

John's Grill in Union Square
http://www.johnsgrill.com/

Tadich Grill on Front St. =the classiest
http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/892427/san_francisco_ca/tadich_grill.html

Save money - get a lot of quarters and use MUNI when in town - there are buses that go everywhere
Walking works, but some areas are better than others to be hanging out in. Times are tough.

This is the train route maps:

http://transit.511.org/static/providers/maps/SF_712200722845.gif

Go to the Final Cut Pro UG Network Supermeet on Wed evening Jan 7 - have a blast, learn about Final Cut Pro, win something cool. Doors open at 4:30 pm and Show starts at 7

Use MUNI to get there and back = the red T Line Mission Bay / T Line Station -= but buy your Supermeet ticket for the event online first - we tend to sell out. First 300 who arrive get an amazing goodie bag. Doors open at 4:30 cash only if you buy your ticket at the event - also everybody with a ticket gets 2 raffle tickets, additional tickets need to be purchased at the event - cash only.

http://www.lafcpug.org/macworld09

Hope to see you there

miiles

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
California
Any suggestions for a place to get a sourdough bread bowl with clam chowder?

Also, where is the apple corporate store?

And is this the kind of place you wear a suit to?

San Fransisco is packed with the kind of restaurants you need suits to get into, just walk around downtown and see what looks good during the day or something.

Same goes for the sourdough bread, just go to whatever district that sourdough comes from.

The corporate store is in Cupertino, which is south of San Fransisco near San Jose. I wouldn't go there, its just an Apple Store with t-shirts.

Also never call San Fransisco: San Fran.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
Alright, we're here now in San Francisco and we're going to that steak restaurant tonight :)

What is there to do tonight on the town?

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
By the way, if you love Chinese food, I recommend riding the MUNI Route 38/38L bus to Geary Blvd. between Arguello Boulevard and Funston St., where one block north is Clement Street, the so-called "second Chinatown." There are many good Chinese restaurants in that neighborhood. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.