Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
The path to the mini-iPod

The new application that I want the most is an iTunes for DVDs that would rip my discs to MP4 files without the complexity of current solutions. Of course if this application were to exist then it would make sense for the iPod to be given a colour screen and video out ports for the viewing of all those MP4s. With the iPod upgraded it would then make sense to release budget-priced iPods with B & W screens and smaller capacities. Hello mini-iPods.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Originally posted by thatwendigo
Amen, nuckinfutz!

Would you mind helping out on the gaming thread, over in the gaming forum? I seem to be having trouble getting that very idea across to some people over there.

:D I'm on my way! BTW I used to work for a Mac Reseller and we credited buyers for their original HD and RAM and replaced it with 3rd party items. This was cool because at the end of a products cycle it's components where easy to beat as far as size of HD and RAM. We could then sell a product with more RAM or HD than the Apple config and still net more profit on the whole computer. Apple is always easy to beat on ancillary equipment.

If you are going to buy a new monitor, I see no reason to intentially buy an ANALOG monitor. The screen is no where near as crisp as with a digital. A digital 17" may still be cheaper than Apple's, but to go out and buy an analog (unless it's the only connection your computer has) seems a little goofy.

You're spot on carelton! I checked newegg and a Sony 18" with DVI was $599. What tends to happen from my perspective is users look at an Apple product and then compare it with a PC product but they only look at the large picture. A person would say "Why is Apple charging $700 for an 17" LCD when my local CompUSA has a bunch of 17" LCDs for $399. They never look a little deeper to notice that they need to be comparing Digital/Digital.

enough of that let me add what I hope to see.

MWSF-

Final Cut Express 2.0- MUCH more features hopefully.

Apple Office Suite- Keynote 2.0 along with Document(Word Processing with Long Doc support) and a Spreadsheet program. Add in a Filemaker derived Database app as well.

iLife 2.0- iMovie 3.5(speed stability more Audio Tracks). iDVD 4, iPhoto(faster) and a new iMusic app which has 4 track audio and midi.

MiniPods- Smaller iPods perfect for those who don't need to carry around their whole library.

That's it. I don't think Hardware updates will be announced unti late January or february.

NAMM will have Apple release their new Digital Audio Workstation and Logic 7.

NAB will have Apple release Final Cut Pro 4.5 with more integration of Livetype and Soundtrack 2.0

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
So far sounds like a dud of an expo.

Mini iPods cool but nothing really new. Get excited it's like and iPod but not as good! I'm going to jump for joy! OK cheaper prices is a good idea to fill that hole.

Updated iApps with nothing really new. iMovie 3.5 not even a major update. A new iApp would be cool.

Monitors not expected. Keep charging too much for what is available. Boo. (I'm waiting for changes with monitors to buy one personally.)

I'v said it before and I'll say it again. I think Jobs is going to ride the 3 GHz promise all the way until Fall when they announce 3 GHz. I think no G5 speed bumps until then. Or if so not at the Expo, maybe some of those waiters won't wait any longer and get what's there now.

xServes - overdue obviously. I'm not in the market though.

Final Cut express 2 - I already have FCP 4 and love it. I wonder how much it will be like FCP for so much cheaper.

iWrite would be nice, but how about iSpreadsheet, and iMoneyManager. Come out with a whole suite not just the fancy typewriter.

This is what I think would stir something up. Use the 20th anniversary to cover up the Cube was a mistake idea and give us a powerful, cheap, headless mac. I want power and my old monitor. iMac/eMac too restrictive, PowerMac too expensive. Make the iPod better. Music player is nice but make it more like a PDA (I know, lots of rumors and discussion). Announce new monitors to go with the new Cube, and remind of Powermac, and drop prices like the last price drop (which was major).

Do something other than Happy Anniversary Macintosh! We have a dud expo to celebrate!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'm betting on something relating to iPods (mini-iPods possibly?), updated/brand new iApps, and something else - either PM speed boosts, or even better, a complete surprise no one saw coming!

I'm guessing we won't see G5 xServes for a couple more weeks, along with the new LCDs - I don't see these being announced at MWSF. And, PM speed bumps might falll into this category as well. I definitely think we will see PM speed bumps before the 3 GHz G5s come out as Jobs promised - look for a line along the lines of 2.0/2.4/2.6 before another bump later in year, when we will see 2.6/21.8/3.0, or something to that effect.

Whatever Jobs announces, it's going to be great, and is an excellent and exciting way to kick off 2004. :cool:

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
iTunes for Canada, UK etc

iTunes for Canada, UK, etc seems a fair guess, and its overdue.

Powerbooks? Well, what exactly? If there aint a G5 that will go into the PB, then its cosmetics and faster ram, bus, etc.

But why not a G5 PB? Cooling is just one problem, battery life is probably much more difficult.

iPods - I have my doubts - the damn things are selling well as they are. And everybody talks about being able to have 10,000 songs etc.etc.
Its a new way of storing music, so its got to be big. Small capacity is a kind of backwards step when you think about it.
Maybe they will just lower the price as they are now numero uno in sales.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: iTunes for Canada, UK etc

Originally posted by elgruga
iPods - I have my doubts - the damn things are selling well as they are. And everybody talks about being able to have 10,000 songs etc.etc.
Its a new way of storing music, so its got to be big. Small capacity is a kind of backwards step when you think about it.
Maybe they will just lower the price as they are now numero uno in sales.

I don't really think smaller capacities is a step backwards - I think it just addresses yet another market segment, that will ultimately bring in more revenue - there is definitely a market segment out there comprised of people who don't have a lot of music and who want a 2GB or 4GB MP3 player, and don't need the capacity of a 5GB/10GB iPod, nor want to pay the corresponding higher price.

But I guess we'll see! Bring on international ITMS though! :cool:

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
The Pepsi factor

Maybe the smaller iPods are going to be winning prizes in the Pepsi promotion. Coka Cola use bottle packaging to disguise GPS phones which are winning prizes. Pepsi could do the same thing with their cans if a smaller iPod were to be made.

These would also be handy for people who are starting to buy music online and have not started ripping their CDs.

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
Re: Re: iTunes for Canada, UK etc

Originally posted by ~Shard~
I don't really think smaller capacities is a step backwards - I think it just addresses yet another market segment, that will ultimately bring in more revenue - there is definitely a market segment out there comprised of people who don't have a lot of music and who want a 2GB or 4GB MP3 player, and don't need the capacity of a 5GB/10GB iPod, nor want to pay the corresponding higher price.

But I guess we'll see! Bring on international ITMS though! :cool:

Yes, I see your point.
Its a difficult question, though - how much of a market segment is there between 5/10 gig and 2/4 gig?
And how much can they save on manufacturing 2/4 over 5/10?

Maybe its just about letting more people in on the 'cool' effect of the iPod.
But then doesnt that destroy the 'cool' effect that those with the cash for the 40 gig paid for?

This is making my head spin! LOL!

Its going to be fascinating to see what, if anything, they do with the pod.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
AppleWorks 7/iOffice

About the only thing I really want to see is an update to AppleWorks. A real kick-in -the-teeth version could be made if superbly updated word processing, spreadsheet, and drawing/image manipulation programs are added in addition to Keynote and Filemaker (even a stripped down Filemaker).

The AW word processing needs improved text-wrap with images and tables. The only real improvement I want to see with the spreadsheet is the ability to export to HTML. XML might also be useful. And a good paint/draw/image manipulation would also be nice. It wouldn't have to be something as complex as Photoshop or Illustrator, but something decent and better than the current AW Draw/Paint programs. Paint Shop Pro was a program I enjoyed on the PC since it seemed a little more straight forward than Photoshop.

xServe and G5 updates would be nice, but I'm not expecting them, especially after a few years where a new PowerMac was announced just a few weeks later.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Re: Re: Re: iTunes for Canada, UK etc

Originally posted by elgruga
Yes, I see your point.
Its a difficult question, though - how much of a market segment is there between 5/10 gig and 2/4 gig?
And how much can they save on manufacturing 2/4 over 5/10?

Maybe its just about letting more people in on the 'cool' effect of the iPod.
But then doesnt that destroy the 'cool' effect that those with the cash for the 40 gig paid for?
I see two major market segments:

a. Those where physical size is more important.

b. Those where capacity is more important.

The HD based iPods provide a solution for those customers who desire b above. I mean, 40GB of storage in an easily accessible and usable device. Apple is tops here.

However, Apple does not offer any solution for those whom a is more important. That is why in places like Japan, the iPod is not selling as well as other places. Flash memory based players sell very well (at a premium) here due to their small physical size.

RIO has a player (only in Japan) that is the size of a small pack of gum, plays MP3 and WAV files, can record WAV files via built in mic (works very well), and plays FM Radio. It weighs a mere fraction of what the iPod weighs. Their largest model has 512MB.

Apple is doing very well in the HD/large capacity arena. In the survey, listed on another thread, they had 3 of the top five positions. The other two positions were occupied by flash based players. It is this market that I think Apple needs to go after. Lot's of opportunity in this arena.

Sushi

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Originally posted by ~Shard~
And, PM speed bumps might falll into this category as well. I definitely think we will see PM speed bumps before the 3 GHz G5s come out as Jobs promised - look for a line along the lines of 2.0/2.4/2.6 before another bump later in year, when we will see 2.6/21.8/3.0, or something to that effect.
Agree. Two increments to 3GHz. We won't see 3GHz at MWSF, but instead during next summer.

Sushi

NeatGekko

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2004
HERE ARE THE FACTS

MINI IPOD FACTS:

They are going to be HD based but loaded with RAM so it won't skip.

They will ship with multiple colors.

Small...comes with an armband for runners.

NOT $100!!! Are you kidding me! isights aren't even that cheap! This is Apple we are talking about! Its gunna be good. Look for the price to drop around $250.

And now for the size: NO 2BG (weak) Apple will show off a nice 4.5 GB in multiple colors. 2 models in muli color is a nightmare. They will have the one size only.

G5 speeds:

YUP! You guessed it...3GHZ!!!

Some of you may laugh, but this is whats coming...believe it or not. Its fact now. I will smile on the 6th when I turn out to be EXACTLY right. Who else believes me? I will smile again when I'm right and you're wrong. PEACE

:D

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by swissmann
So far sounds like a dud of an expo.

I agree.

Which is why it will probably knock our socks off. :)

I've frequented rumor sites long enough to know that we, the peanut gallery, are terribly lacking in vision or imagination compared to Jobs. There will be things we don't expect. And we'll love them.

That being said, despite the absence of buzz, I expect displays to be updated with new chassis.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Re: The path to the mini-iPod

Originally posted by Sol
The new application that I want the most is an iTunes for DVDs that would rip my discs to MP4 files without the complexity of current solutions. Of course if this application were to exist then it would make sense for the iPod to be given a colour screen and video out ports for the viewing of all those MP4s. With the iPod upgraded it would then make sense to release budget-priced iPods with B & W screens and smaller capacities. Hello mini-iPods.

So I was at BestBuy the other day checking out stereos that had inputs so I could plug my iPod into my car. Aside from not finding one I saw one CD deck that had some pretty slick motion graphics to it. Upon reading the info card it said its display was OEL (i believe) and it was viewable at a much wider angle. I know there was the word of OLEDs coming to play soon. Maybe the next update to the iPod will have an OLED, which in turn will make it's physical size smaller.

NeatGekko

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2004
MINI IPODS $250!!!

MINI IPOD FACTS:

NOT $100!!! Are you kidding me! isights aren't even that cheap! This is Apple we are talking about! Its gunna be good. Look for the price to drop around $250.

And now for the size: NO 2BG (weak) Apple will show off a nice 4.5 GB in multiple colors. 2 models in muli color is a nightmare. They will have the one size only

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Re: HERE ARE THE FACTS

Originally posted by NeatGekko
MINI IPOD FACTS:

And now for the size: NO 2BG (weak) Apple will show off a nice 4.5 GB in multiple colors. 2 models in muli color is a nightmare. They will have the one size only.

G5 speeds:

YUP! You guessed it...3GHZ!!!

Some of you may laugh, but this is whats coming...believe it or not. Its fact now. I will smile on the 6th when I turn out to be EXACTLY right. Who else believes me? I will smile again when I'm right and you're wrong. PEACE

:D
NeatGekko, in the FWIW department iPods already have 32MB of RAM for skip protection -- that's 16-30 minutes depending on your MP3 encoding rate. I am not sure how much more RAM they need. I jog, ski, and other activities with mine and have not had it skip.

As for the G5 at 3GHz...

I have one question for you, would you like to be char broiled or just grilled a bit? :eek: :D

Sushi

NeatGekko

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2004
wait until tuesday

My new friend...these small drives that will be used are a lot slower then the ones used in current iPods. They WILL need more RAM. And as far as the G5's go...it will be at 3GHZ. There will be 4 models instead of 3. It will indeed be an amazing announcement. On tuesday when I'm right, be sure to send me a letter of apology.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Re: wait until tuesday

My new friend...these small drives that will be used are a lot slower then the ones used in current iPods. They WILL need more RAM. And as far as the G5's go...it will be at 3GHZ. There will be 4 models instead of 3. It will indeed be an amazing announcement. On tuesday when I'm right, be sure to send me a letter of apology.
I'll have the grill up and running in case I am wrong! :p

Sushi

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
FM iPod...

My new friend...these small drives that will be used are a lot slower then the ones used in current iPods. They WILL need more RAM.
BTW, I still think that they may introduce a Flash Memory based iPod.

But who knows...in a couple of days, we all will.

Sushi

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Re: Soundtracks Junior

Originally posted by AirUncleP
I've said it once and I'll say it again....iTracks.

All the other iApps can be described and promoted as having mainstream appeal. The percentage of the general population having interest in using something akin to "iTracks" is very small.

Seems to me the only people wishing for "iTracks" are the folks who want SoundTrack but can't afford it. ;)

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Re: MINI IPODS $250!!!

MINI IPOD FACTS:

Please, Mr. NeatGekko, confine your "fact" spewing to one forum only. I've got a weak stomach . . . ;)

wHo_tHe

macrumors regular
miniPod & miniMac

Smaller iPods we know. How about a very small, ultraportable Mac. Largish PDA-sized, but with an 800x600 screen. Can drive external monitors and, with bluetooth keyboard/mouse, can even be used as a desktop in a pinch. Fast G3s, iPod HDs... Maybe a nice folding keyboard/cover as an accessory?

desdomg

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Personally I would be happy if they would just bring out UK versions of iTMS, Sherlock and the iPhoto print book feature, fix the network browsing feature in panther and deal satisfactorily with the iBook logic board issues.

Oh yes, and a headless iMac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.