Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
When using a 27" iMac i7 with the 2 battery keyboard and magic mouse the keyboard frequently loses signal with the iMac. I've tried deleting the keyboard from the list of bluetooth devices associated with the computer but it still happens about 2-3 times an hour.:confused:

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Good it's getting publicity

I heard about this a month ago, and it stopped me from purchasing the new mouse. I've been holding off until the problem is solved, but at least it is in the press so Apple has to fix it soon...

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
I've had my 27" iMac for almost a month now and I'm still on the original batteries for both the wireless keyboard and magic mouse. The keyboard is apparently still at 100% and the magic mouse is at 60%, so I'm not really sure what this article is referring to.

Sure the magic mouse's battery life isn't the best, but it has in no way effected the battery life of the keyboard from what I can tell.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
I've had my 27" iMac for almost a month now and I'm still on the original batteries for both the wireless keyboard and magic mouse. The keyboard is apparently still at 100% and the magic mouse is at 60%, so I'm not really sure what this article is referring to.

Sure the magic mouse's battery life isn't the best, but it has in no way effected the battery life of the keyboard from what I can tell.

Yes, but you have the new (2 battery) keyboard. From what I understand this appears to be more common with the older (3 battery) keyboard when a new magic mouse is added in.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
Yes, but you have the new (2 battery) keyboard. From what I understand this appears to be more common with the older (3 battery) keyboard when a new magic mouse is added in.

I wonder if it could also do with the hardware? I mentioned earlier that I have a magic mouse and one of the new keyboards as well and I'm using it on a month old Mini. I haven't gone through a set yet but I anticipate getting about 2 months out of a set since my keyboard is at 81% and my mouse at 64. Not great, but livable.

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix
I am now...

why aren't people using rechargeable batteries yet?

Thanks for the push. I have just come back from the store with a charger and batteries for all my wireless gear. I had always avoided rechargeable due to earlier ones being undependable. From your comment plus a little online research, I see that they are better than ever. As for the MMouse/BTKeyboard problem, I knew something was up. I was barley getting a few days out of my batteries. I got tired of needing to turn it off manually. However, I would like to recommend to Apple that they put a dedicated power off switch on all their devices like they have on the Magic Mouse. I like to know when it is off.

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-A821/1.0 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Takeo said:
Why would anyone in their right mind chose to use the magic mouse anyway?

Ah, you don't like the MagicMouse so therefor the rest of the world has to hate it too.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
My Magic Mouse has never had battery issues. I'm getting 4-8 weeks of life on it. My 3 battery BT Keyboard? less than 2.5 days consistently. Both keyboards and doesn't matter which Mac I pair them with. Running latest build of Snow Leopard on all (A Mac Pro, the last model aluminum shell MB Pro, and a Core2Duo Black MacBook). It is definitely the magic mouse or it's driver that is causing this because I don't have the problem if I use my old wireless mighty mouse.

5-8 weeks for the Magic Mouse?! I'm sure that's not normal either! A wireless mouse should last at least 6 months with alkaline batteries! So should a keyboard.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I wonder if it could also do with the hardware? I mentioned earlier that I have a magic mouse and one of the new keyboards as well and I'm using it on a month old Mini. I haven't gone through a set yet but I anticipate getting about 2 months out of a set since my keyboard is at 81% and my mouse at 64. Not great, but livable.

It's been less than 24 hours and my keyboard is still at 81% (good), but my battery on my MM has dropped from the 64 to 56%. Ouch.

GreasyWeasel

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2006
UK
I have the three battery keyboard which has been fine on battery life until I got my Magic Mouse. 13 days running with the Magic Mouse now and I've just got through my second set of keyboard batteries! :(

GreasyWeasel

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2006
UK
Since it's been just over 24 hours since I put brand new batteries in my bluetooth keyboard I thought I'd check the battery level. They are now showing 82% battery life left. That's 18% in a day!! My Magic Mouse is still showing 87% left the same as this time yesterday.

Please fix this quickly, Apple.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
Shortly after my post 6 days ago my MM went down to 51%. Now 6 days later it's still at 51% and my wireless keyboard is still at 81%. So I really don't know what to make of that... other than the meter doesn't seem to be that accurate, or perhaps it's not as accurate in the beginning? ...or perhaps standard alkaline batteries lose their initial voltage a bit quicker in the beginning and then it levels off? I don't know. :)

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-A821/1.0 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Ah, you don't like the MagicMouse so therefor the rest of the world has to hate it too.

Not only must we all hate it, but we must be out of our minds.

I love my mighty mouse and have 0 problems with the battery life of it, nor the battery life of the apple wireless keyboard just next to it.

mistameena

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
wireless keyboard batteries wet flat in 2 weeks

I have a new 27ich Imac I7 it arrived Jan 6th 2010, it has no problems with screen flickering or yellow tinge, the only two things I have noticed, when it first arrived I copied a dvd..and it got very hot on the top..almost too hot to touch...but it has not been hot since doing normal email etc. however the batteries needed replacing in the wireless keyboard, not the mouse so far, I put it to sleep, not turn it off, apart from that its rather an awesome computer, my first attempt at a Mac...had a pc for many years

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
When will they release a fix for this? This is crazy, tired of changing batteries on my keyboard every 2 weeks.

monnecka

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
Thank God

thank god i looked this up... there is without a doubt a problem ... I all of a sudden started replacing batteries every few days in my keyboard and i was losing my mind saying "what the hell??"
i dont know wether i should go get the 2 battery keyboard or just wait for this "fix" at least i know im not crazy... i had no problems before the magic mouse..the other mous sucks though...(magic isnt all that much faster but better) i dont know what the deal is with apple... this machine is super fast and all but the reaction time for the mice is just crap...i turn on the pc instead and the mouse tracks soo much faster it gives me the false impression the machines faster lol i know this is not true..but when i first switched to mac about a year ago i felt like i moved down south and needed to just slow down relax and let it happen ;-)
anywya hope there is a fix soon.. and maybe someday the mice will get faster also..lol

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD
I must confess that I had the opposite problem... my previous set up (earlier version of bluetooth keyboard, mouse and macbook air) was losing battery charge left, right and center. Problem seems to have vanished since I migrated to the new iMac/keyboard/magic mouse combo last month. After 6 wks of usage, the battery level has dented just a blip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.