Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by legion
(the use of magnesium, aluminium, and titanium was a major topic of discussion growing up with my father being the metallurgist who developed the technique to strengthen Al for use as a framing structure that he developed in part for the defense dept and then later migrated the tech to ALCOA for use in space-frames (the Audi A8 was one of the first to use this in consumer apps))

Cool. Doesn't the new Jag have a similar frame?

So, we have Magnesium PPC 7457 G4 iBooks on the way and Aluminum G5 PowerBooks.
I can't wait 'til Tuesday.

Squire

P.S. Readers: If you haven't read the NeXT article, read it. It's hilarious.

neilt

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Magnesium

magnesium is used in many High Temp applications:
Engine blocks for Porsche's for example (at least on the early ones)

Magnesium is also linked to the worst auto race tragedies ever.
http://members.aol.com/healeypics/lemans.html

82 people killed when a magnesium bodied mercedes cartwheeled on fire into the stands at LeMan in 55.....that is the reason mercede's pulled out of racing for years afterwards.

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Burning

So you know why the Flaming PB 5300's were flaming. Yep. Magnesium.

What's even worse. Magnesium. Iron Oxide powder (chemical grade) for oxygen fuel. Then add aluminum filings (fine, chemical grade).

Personally, I would be *scared* if Apple made an aluminum case with a magnesium frame. Run the computer with the lid closed in sleep, and put it in a tight handbag, it'll get hot, then take it out, open it up, put fine iron oxide powder under the keyboard, and then plug it into power, play a dvd... Won't explode, but it will burn bad.

Assuming it gets hot enough for the magnesium to catch. And if the magnesium does catch, then it has to get hot enough to burn the iron oxide. Only then would the aluminum ignite.

Sure it's a *long* shot, but if a terrorist bought a normal powerbook and obtained chemical grade iron oxide, then they could make something very bad.

Of course, Apple seems to be moving towards non-removable keyboards (yay!) and if so, that nixes this whole concern, specially if there is absolutely no Iron in any form anywhere on the computer.

Just remember, the Hindenburg wasn't simply burning Hydrogen.

The framework was made of an ally known as duralumin. This allow is mainly aluminum and copper, but with traces of magnesium, manganese, iron, and silicon.

The fabric that they used for the hindenburg was coated in iron oxide, cellulose fuel acetate, powdered aluminum, magnesium, and other things. Magnesium is one of the few exothermics that can set off aluminum and iron oxide, also known as a thermite reaction, and such temperatures can reach 5000 degrees F.

So the moral of the story is: Don't make your airship out of fuel rods, and don't paint your ship with rocket fuel. Oh, and don't make your computers out of flammable or reactive chemicals.

Jaedreth

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Re: Re: Duretanium

Originally posted by Bruja
Does this mean that the sceen would be made out of Transparent Aluminum?? :cool:

Actually, I'd prefer to see the next Powerbooks made out of Adamantium. As an indestructible alloy, you won't have to worry about scratching the surface. Plus, if you live in a secret base in northern Canada, you can melt it down and use it to coat really cool conversation pieces:

DC21072lg.jpg

mikecruz

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2003
They are probably made out of a magnesium-aluminum alloy. I belive that's what the top of soda cans are made of. It makes them more rigid than a plain aluminum alloy lid of the same thickness.

-mike

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i don't think this is significant news at all... i mean don't all of the Apple notebook range have some sort of magnesium frame holding everything together? if not, then they're probably changing over to magnesium from whatever they're using now.

and if Apple is changing the 15" TiBook over from titanium, then of course they're going to have to increase their order for magnesium alloy.:rolleyes:

or it could be a hint that Apple is working on some new awesomely cool PowerBook G5 enclosure... but i doubt it. :(

bdiddy

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2003
Oakley's Magnesium Eyewear

-----------------------------------------

"The world's first optical frame to incorporate ultra-lightweight magnesium metal within a ceramic mantle. Liquefied at 1100°F, the performance alloy is injected into precision engineered molds within a timeframe of less than 30 milliseconds. Sealing the metal in a protective ceramic mantle requires a turbine that rotates at 60,000 rpm in order to disperse ceramic polymer nanoparticles. For a secure and comfortable fit, the new frame will include spring-hinge mechanisms, as well as Unobtainium® nosebombs and earsocks. Flex couplers are incorporated at strategic points in the frame geometry, tuning flexibility while retaining structural integrity. The end result is a metal frame that meets the durability requirements of sports professionals while offering all-day comfort by minimizing weight."

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL
Re: Re: Re: Duretanium

Originally posted by Steamboatwillie
Ok, to take this joke one step further...

I quickly looked to him and said "Actually it's a prototype machined from ultra rare billet unobtainium" he replied in amazment "Whoa, I've heard of that stuff, it's really expensive"

My brother asked an TV engineer once what the scanner in Sony Betacam video tape machine was made from. He told him it was "Japanizium". :)

reybart

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
NYC
I bet this will lead to a new thread that no PB Al , instead magnesium!and all will be craving for it again making speculations to the maxx!:eek:

fred_lj

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
TX
SCARED of Mg?

To those frightened by the thought of Apple using Mg-alloy to construct frames for computers, etc. --- why? Every single professional camera body you see in use is a die-cast magnesium alloy body (the F5 has in addition a titanium viewing prism because it's removable). It caught on very quickly because a product made this way feels secure and professional in a tactile sense that people appreciate and pay money for. And it's cold to the touch! My Coolpix 950 was one of the first digicams to go "all the way" with a Mg-alloy body, and it's still in perfect shape after five years of use.

Don't be afraid people, this stuff isn't new news. Photographers wouldn't use exploding cameras.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
The Fujitsu S Series has a magnesium case and it is a really attractive laptop. Maybe they will make the outer case of the next iBook out of magnesium.

frankzeg

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2003
colorado
Mg alloy

Magnesium alloys are commonly used in a lot of consumer goods - principly because it is readily adaptable to mass production and has low density, reasonable strength and stiffness and has a decent thermal conductivity- which can be important in terms of heat rejection area to environment. Vibe damping is also good.

However Mg alloys are notoriously corrosion sensitive- hence the use of anodizing to create a protective barrier. Under normal usage this will not pose a problem since the anodize is fairly tough. However in a salty atmosphere with a naked surface the Mg alloy will be sacrificed if placed in contact with nearly any other metal- like the steel screws that may be used to hold it to another part. That means it will rust super easily if not protected. Since fasteners tend to create these conditions if removed and reinstalled some sealant is usually applied.
If you took a torch to it and got it hot enough a very impressive fire would result- and indeed adding water would not be good since the temperature is so high that the water is decomposed into O and H2- the hydrogen then ignites in air.
Finely divided magnesium will ignite even more easily than a chunk- making the chips from machining a hazard.

But never fear-- the titanium material in my PB is even worse. Finely divided Ti is WAY dangerous and also burns fiercely. Remember that materials which are corrosion resistant are ususally so due to some tenacious oxide layer that they form since they are so reactive with air. Remove that layer and the stage is set. Many materials like Ti, Zirconium and Uranium are actually pyrophoric- a pinch of powder of them will spontaneously ignite if dropped through the air.
These principles are used to make neat things like super intense flares or sparkers- by burning Teflon with powdered aluminum for example.

The next material they should consider using for the PB is 2195 aluminum/Lithium. This material is lighter than the strongest WROUGHT standard aircraft aluminum, 10% stiffer and stronger and can be welded using even more high-tech but cheap stirweld technologies. This means that even though it has higher density than Mg alloys it will be generally lighter and weird shapes can still be made in it without resorting to machining. And since stiffness of the chassis is already a real issue at 1" thickness this could be a real boon and aid going thinner. And as for cool factor- well ! You can also directly stirweld copper or Al heat pipes directly to it without joints- think about that for next gen processors. I personally think that combined with an ultra thin fiber-placed graphite composite top shell this would be a real 21st century machine.

frankzeg

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2003
colorado
No 2195 is not toxic- it is just another aluminum alloy. It looks more or less the same as any Al alloy and has many of the same properties. You were probably thinking of Beryllium. In some forms it is highly toxic - and though it would probably make the ultimate structure for a laptop I suspect the frame would cost more than everything else combined.
By way of example I believe that i read that the Next Generation Space Telescope mirrors will be made from beryllium. Incredibly light and stiff stuff- too bad about the toxicity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.