Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlesRobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Hey guys,

just ordered my new Macbook Pro 15" replacing my late 2008 one (with an astonishing battery-life of 15 Minutes :cool:).

The only thing that bothers me and many others is the missing MagSafe connection.
Do you know if there are any good alternatives out there?

I know there is the Griffin Breaksafe one. Does anyone have experience with this one? I think I've read somewhere that it was able to pull the Macbook over the table when pulled in the right angle, is that correct? Do you think the extra weight of the 15" would help with that? Any other problems with this cable?
I know the adapter is huge. Not so concerned on that, cause I'd rather have an ugly adapter than a broken macbook....

Thanks for your help :)

Btw: Long time reader, first time poster. Have been following the Waiting thread daily since last November. You guys are insane(ly funny)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Forget it. The USB port is a data port. You don't want MagSafe on a data connection.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah, that Griffin one gets generally poor reviews, and it's big and bulky.

The reality is the vast majority of laptops ever sold don't have magsafe and there isn't exactly an epidemic of computers getting pulled off tables and desks...

CharlesRobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Forget it. The USB port is a data port. You don't want MagSafe on a data connection.

Why not? I mean that cable wouldn't be used to transfer data. Just for charging.
Is there a problem I'm not seeing here?

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I bought a BreakSafe cable for my rMB and returned it after a few days. It's not reversible and it's also far too weak as it'll disconnect the second it goes at an angle. It even breaks off under its own weight (!).

LormaD

Suspended
Aug 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec Canada
Hey guys,

just ordered my new Macbook Pro 15" replacing my late 2008 one (with an astonishing battery-life of 15 Minutes :cool:).

The only thing that bothers me and many others is the missing MagSafe connection.
Do you know if there are any good alternatives out there?

I know there is the Griffin Breaksafe one. Does anyone have experience with this one? I think I've read somewhere that it was able to pull the Macbook over the table when pulled in the right angle, is that correct? Do you think the extra weight of the 15" would help with that? Any other problems with this cable?
I know the adapter is huge. Not so concerned on that, cause I'd rather have an ugly adapter than a broken macbook....

Thanks for your help :)

Btw: Long time reader, first time poster. Have been following the Waiting thread daily since last November. You guys are insane(ly funny)

I have the Griffin one.

The Good:
It works as advertised.
It comes from an honest company (see Snapnator Scam)
It is priced right.
They ship day of order, and you will receive it within a week or much less.
The cable that it comes with is nice and long.

The Bad:
It is a touch bulky.
The cable that it comes with is black (apple chargers and cables are all white), and sticks out like a sore thumb.

That's it, it's only beef I have with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.