Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
Hello, I have a macbook 6.1 (late 2009) and recently the metal part of the L shaped magsafe fell off.

It happened before so it was not big news for me, I had it glued back with a quick dry very strong logo and it was fine for some time.

Now I did it again, ofc I cleared any remains from the glue and put everything in place

The problem is that now the magsafe didn't fit, like the metal was shorter or something, and when I was pluging in the charger the screen lit but the battery didn't charge (Neither discharge) and the led was a faint green one) so I broke the plastic there (don't freak out, it was already glued there, I dropped the laptop on this side once but without the charger in so the hit was on the plastic shell only) and it did fitted. But still the same thing happens, dim green light, the battery reports no charging but the laptop take power to work.

I turned it off when I was trying to figure out why the magsafe doesn't fit and I left it a bit with the faint green magsafe on, it got 1% of power while I opened again and when I shut down to reset SMC (didn't reset at once, left it for a couple of minutes to do something else) when I returned it was up from 5% to 6%.

System information reported that the battery had 167 mAh at 6% and while I was writing this post here it went up another 1% to 7% (and sys info reported that as well, it got at 239mAh.)

So it seems that it is charging very very slowly.

Now I don't mind if it is charging very slowly, but I'm afraid that this situation may cause some damage in the long run.

Getting it on an apple store is not an option as we don't have here in Greece so I have to go to an authorized repair shop which at the moment is pretty far away from me.

Is there anything I could do myself to fix that situation?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Sounds like the fault will be in the Magsafe socket on the MacBook. Probably caused when it was dropped on that corner. The part is not expensive but you will need to take the MacBook logicboard out.......

The socket will be slightly pushed in and that is why it feels as if the charger plug seems too short and not connecting properly - which will be the reason for the very slow charging.

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
Thanks, any idea what is the cost? I may consider it if it goes for around 50 euros, if it goes way more I will keep using it till it die completely and sell it for parts, it is really old to consider spending any good amount of money on it.

Also I want to update the story because something weird happened, I left it on all night long (with the faint green) and the next morning I unplugged and plugged again the magsafe and it lighted up umber, I left it go full and then I used the laptop till it dropped at 10% and then when I was about to add the charger again and then it dropped suddenly below 10% and went to sleep.

I plugged magsafe back and got again the same faint green light and the macbook didn't responded at all. I pulled the magsafe on and off some times to make sure and then tried to reset SMC, nothing changed.
I though I may give it a try to reset SMC without the charger on and it worked, got the umber light again.

Today I plugged the magsafe again when I opened to use the laptop and got the faint green again, but later on I was able to get the umber and now have it on with the full charge green for the rest of the day.
I'm afraid to pull it off now because I prefer a "desktop" laptop that works than one that is dead.

It feels pretty random however, and I feel like maybe is a battery problem for some reason. Does this macbook work if you have it plugged in power but with the battery removed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.