Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WithTea

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Canada
Alright, so my MacBook (1.83) came this morning, and its my first Mac and I'm having a lot of fun figuring stuff out

BUT

It buzzes. I don't know if its the *shudders* whine, but its a pretty noticable buzz which stutters when I hit keys on the right side of the keyboard. It was driving me nuts until i figured out that, hey, it dissapears if I disconnect the power source!

Now, obviously, this is a fairly temporary solution. I have three questions:

1. What's causing this?
2. Is it permenant?
3. Should I call up Apple and start figuring out how to return it for another unit? (noooo!)

jrk07

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
I remember hearing this buzz on a MacBook Pro that they had on display on campus. Surprised more people didn't post about their macbooks/mbps having this problem.

Sorry that I don't have any solution, just echoing the fact that I've heard it.

knapkin

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
I see exactly the same thing. I suspect that the buzz stutter happens with keys on the left side too, but that the key noise overtakes the stutter noise.

In any case, I am returning my MacBook for a new one (bad up arrow key), we'll see if the buzz is there on the new one.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
WithTea said:
Alright, so my MacBook (1.83) came this morning, and its my first Mac and I'm having a lot of fun figuring stuff out

BUT

It buzzes. I don't know if its the *shudders* whine, but its a pretty noticable buzz which stutters when I hit keys on the right side of the keyboard. It was driving me nuts until i figured out that, hey, it dissapears if I disconnect the power source!

Now, obviously, this is a fairly temporary solution. I have three questions:

1. What's causing this?
2. Is it permenant?
3. Should I call up Apple and start figuring out how to return it for another unit? (noooo!)

I don't have that issue while my laptop (MBP) is on the charger....however I won't deny that I don't a buzz....but my buzz is primarily related to the computer screen, and it's not that noticeable anyways, so....

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
This problem is what is scaring me away from buying a MB :eek: I head it on a black MB in CompUSA and on a few white ones (tho not as loud) in the Apple store. I, of course, had to put my hear to the keyboard to hear it in the store because it was so loud in there.

knapkin

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Update: (or lack of update)

I still have not recieved my replacement, nor has it shipped. Argh.

I will post here when I recieve it; however, a (long) thread has finally popped up on this topic. I'm posting a link here in case anyone needs it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/206145/

Be warned that it's a bit of a flame war, but what interesting thread is not?

designed

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Finland
Yeah, I heard a slight buzz from the MagSafe yesterday but haven't noticed it since or so. It's not really bad, many chargers buzz just loud enough to hear it. The Canon Ixus one almost drove me mad.

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
yeah I had this problem with my MacBooks - some people don't notice it but I certainly do and the last one I had was very noisy indeed!

The PSU acts like an amplifier, you can hear the whine/buzz from the left hand side of the MB and also from the powerbrick itself. You can alter the sound by causing some load on the cpu eg move the cursor, scroll a page in Safari etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.