Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
So I have a no MacBook Pro 13" and am loving it so far but I definitely miss Magsafe...I have seen some alternatives out there but they all require me to leave some stupid dongle thing that is asking to be cracked off right in the usb c port...are there any usb c cables that maybe have a magnetic breakaway a couple inches from the end of the cable. This way it still acts like a normal usb C cable but if someone trips over you cord the cable would break away and just leave a couple inches of cable connected to your laptop...When your done charging you just unplug the cable from the laptop and your good to go....idk if this makes sense what I am describing but it seems like a common sense solution that is way more practical then the existing mag safe replacements....alternatively they could put the mag safe end on the block instead of near the pc.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
are there any usb c cables that maybe have a magnetic breakaway a couple inches from the end of the cable.

so it wont be just an adapter anymore sticking out from your macbook, but rather a dongle or just a wierd looking worm...

alternatively they could put the mag safe end on the block instead of near the pc.

to protect the power brick while your macbook is flying on the floor?

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
so it wont be just an adapter anymore sticking out from your macbook, but rather a dongle or just a wierd looking worm...

to protect the power brick while your macbook is flying on the floor?

Quote#1. No....you would unplug it like any other laptop charger...it would just have a breakaway feature for those situations when the cord gets yanked. You wouldn't leave that dongle plugged in your computer when your not using it like many of the current designs.

Quote#2 No again. All it requires is the cord to break away. Once the cord is no longer attached to either the wall/brick or the laptop the force of the pull will be greatly minimized...it may not be as good as breaking away at the laptop but it be better then nothing.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Quote#1. No....you would unplug it like any other laptop charger...it would just have a breakaway feature for those situations when the cord gets yanked. You wouldn't leave that dongle plugged in your computer when your not using it like many of the current designs.
You don't necessarily need to leave the dongle plugged into the laptop all the time even with the current implementations. Depending on how solid the magnetic connection is you could just leave it on the cable itself when you're done charging.

That way you've got all the benefits during charging and then a clean look when you're not. However, it would suck to lose the dongle part during transport/storage...

As for your power-brick breakaway idea, I don't see why you couldn't reverse the USB-C cables they already sell and have it work that way :)

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
You don't necessarily need to leave the dongle plugged into the laptop all the time even with the current implementations. Depending on how solid the magnetic connection is you could just leave it on the cable itself when you're done charging.

That way you've got all the benefits during charging and then a clean look when you're not. However, it would suck to lose the dongle part during transport/storage...

As for your power-brick breakaway idea, I don't see why you couldn't reverse the USB-C cables they already sell and have it work that way :)

Point #1. Yea, I fear loosing it more then anything.

Point #2. Thats a good idea...never really thought about it...if only I could figure out a way to get the cable hooks back on my brick.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
There are a few solutions kind of like that already. For example I backed the following Kickstarter which is a 'MagSafe' adaptor for usb-c (https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ur-macbook-snap-feature-is-back?ref=user_menu)

You have a two parts. A connector that goes into the USB-C port and another than goes on the end of your usb-c cable and the two pieces then magnetically connect

Those are the once I have seen...what I don't like about those is that small adapter. I can either leave it in the laptop all the time which means its something extra to crack off or get caught on when I put it in my bag...(It is pretty small so it probably be fine, by visually I don't like it). I also fear loosing that. I'd rather the cable itself breakaway somewhere on the connection...however another poster made a good point about putting that part on the brick end of the laptop. That may work depending on the strength of the magnet.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
There are a few solutions kind of like that already. For example I backed the following Kickstarter which is a 'MagSafe' adaptor for usb-c (https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ur-macbook-snap-feature-is-back?ref=user_menu)

You have a two parts. A connector that goes into the USB-C port and another than goes on the end of your usb-c cable and the two pieces then magnetically connect
That one is definitely the best-looking I've seen in terms of keeping the laptop part unobtrusive, especially compared to the updated Griffin one (seriously, their designers must be blind to make something that awful after already coming up with a good looking design).

6f44d93eae2816824b351f94452fb06b_original.gif

This worries me a little, however. If you look closely the connector on the laptop actually unplugs from the laptop slightly when it's connected. Hopefully it's an issue with a loose USB-C port on that laptop itself and not the product itself...

GCMD

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Magsafe is the one thing that I have been missing and a little bummed about. After using it for 24 hours, I've noticed that it's a hassle to disconnect from the USB C port and would cause wear over time of that port.

I miss being able to just pull the cord out one-handed and not worry about it...I think I'm going to have to spring for the Griffin Magsafe USB C solution...

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
That one is definitely the best-looking I've seen in terms of keeping the laptop part unobtrusive, especially compared to the updated Griffin one (seriously, their designers must be blind to make something that awful after already coming up with a good looking design).

6f44d93eae2816824b351f94452fb06b_original.gif

This worries me a little, however. If you look closely the connector on the laptop actually unplugs from the laptop slightly when it's connected. Hopefully it's an issue with a loose USB-C port on that laptop itself and not the product itself...

Snapanator project may have failed so not a good idea to lead the OP in that direction.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Those stupid pieces that are left in the machine will destroy the chassis if the computer ends up dropping while that's in there anyways.

OP is suggesting moving the breakaway point to ~3 inches down from the cable end, so that the product no longer suggests you keep a nub sticking out of the laptop all the time. That could work, or if they could just shrink the nub down to a nearly flat USB-C "sleeve" with a very thin lip where the rest of the magnetic cable attaches, that'd work too. But the solutions proposed like this one are absolutely absurd:
Griffin-BreakSafe-Hi-Power-Cable.jpeg

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
It hasn't failed, they met the financing goal (and the stretch goal too), just got the survey for the shipping address and colour yesterday I think. I'll post some photos and thoughts when it comes.

Oh well thats good news. I stand corrected. Hopefully it's a good solution for folks.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
you could design a shorter USB-c cable with the MagSafe built into the power brick. Not idea but better to what we have

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
It hasn't failed, they met the financing goal (and the stretch goal too), just got the survey for the shipping address and colour yesterday I think. I'll post some photos and thoughts when it comes.

I also backed the Kickstarter campaign and completed the survey. It's admittedly not as elegant as MagSafe, but it'll do the trick. I plan to keep the piece that connects to the USB-C port on the cable when I'm not charging the computer. I'd rather do that than have it protrude slightly when I'm carrying the laptop around, but I'll see how it goes.

k2743

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
So I have a no MacBook Pro 13" and am loving it so far but I definitely miss Magsafe...I have seen some alternatives out there but they all require me to leave some stupid dongle thing that is asking to be cracked off right in the usb c port...are there any usb c cables that maybe have a magnetic breakaway a couple inches from the end of the cable. This way it still acts like a normal usb C cable but if someone trips over you cord the cable would break away and just leave a couple inches of cable connected to your laptop...When your done charging you just unplug the cable from the laptop and your good to go....idk if this makes sense what I am describing but it seems like a common sense solution that is way more practical then the existing mag safe replacements....alternatively they could put the mag safe end on the block instead of near the pc.

Get a dongle, instead of leaving it plugged in to your Macbook all the time, why don't you leave it connected the charger?
[doublepost=1483802678][/doublepost]
Those stupid pieces that are left in the machine will destroy the chassis if the computer ends up dropping while that's in there anyways.

OP is suggesting moving the breakaway point to ~3 inches down from the cable end, so that the product no longer suggests you keep a nub sticking out of the laptop all the time. That could work, or if they could just shrink the nub down to a nearly flat USB-C "sleeve" with a very thin lip where the rest of the magnetic cable attaches, that'd work too. But the solutions proposed like this one are absolutely absurd:
Griffin-BreakSafe-Hi-Power-Cable.jpeg
I don't understand why you think it's necessary to have to keep something plugged into your laptop all the time? Leave it connected to the charger..? How will moving the breakaway point down further change the issue? Sorry, not really understanding.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
FYI, there is another Kickstarter project similar to the Snapantor, but it also transmits data in addition to power, something you couldn't do with Magsafe. Imagine a one-cable breakaway connector to your LG 5K:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/branchusb/magneo-first-true-usb-c-magnetic-adapter?ref=email

(By the way they have refined how it looks after some complaints. See the Update section for a picture.)
[doublepost=1483804162][/doublepost]
I thought someone posted a thread that this kick starter was a scam?
There has always been speculation that it is, but so far there is no proof... they are supposed to ship in the next few weeks so we should see. I did receive a shipping survey from them also in the last couple of days...

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It makes me wonder with the one that is able to transfer data in addition to power can they hack into this type adapter with firmware updates and intercept your personal data. Hackers are always trying new ways and this seems like a new avenue to exploit.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Ultimately, I wouldn't be too bummed not to have it - my iPads and iPhones have never been knocked off a table while charging over the years and I think they're the kinds of devices such an event is more likely to happen to. Just don't leave it on charge where kids/pets are running around and use basic cable management.

You may have a point about port wear over time, although you can use any of the ports for charging to spread that out and I've never heard of worn I/O on a Mac before. Not to say it doesn't happen, of course.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Ultimately, I wouldn't be too bummed not to have it - my iPads and iPhones have never been knocked off a table while charging over the years and I think they're the kinds of devices such an event is more likely to happen to. Just don't leave it on charge where kids/pets are running around and use basic cable management.

You may have a point about port wear over time, although you can use any of the ports for charging to spread that out and I've never heard of worn I/O on a Mac before. Not to say it doesn't happen, of course.

One difference is that you use your Macbook plugged in a lot more often then you do a iPad or iPhone while it's plugged in.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
One difference is that you use your Macbook plugged in a lot more often then you do a iPad or iPhone while it's plugged in.

Even less likely to happen, then - you're right there to stop it should the worst happen, plus people don't tend to bolt past when someone is working.

I'm not being an apologist, I would love for a MagSafe equivalent to appear for USB-C.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Even less likely to happen, then - you're right there to stop it should the worst happen, plus people don't tend to bolt past when someone is working.

I'm not being an apologist, I would love for a MagSafe equivalent to appear for USB-C.

You clearly don't live in a house with pets or small children....

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Ok. I went for the Snapinator. I like the idea of plugging it into the brick side. That's a brilliant idea. Although it's possible that someone get there foot around the cable in such a way that the brick wouldn't break away before the machine crashed to the floor. Anyhow, for $40 it's a little bit of piece of mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.