Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I have 2 accounts on my G5 iMac for wife and self. In both I've set up a mail account to log into our mail IMAP account on Fastmail. Same username and password, same everything. Mail in my account works fine, but mail in wife's account stopped connecting to the server a few weeks ago because the password setting disappeared. When I try to enter the IMAP server password in the IMAP mail accounts setting, it seems to take it OK, but if you save and close and re-open the mail account settings page, the password field is blank. If I do the same from my account the password field has the 'blobs' showing in the password field as you would expect. I tried deleting and recreating my wife's IMAP mail account, but the password problem persists.

This used to work OK, can't think that I did anything out of the ordinary. I'm up to date on Tiger software updates. Any ideas?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
blodwyn said:
I have 2 accounts on my G5 iMac for wife and self. In both I've set up a mail account to log into our mail IMAP account on Fastmail. Same username and password, same everything. Mail in my account works fine, but mail in wife's account stopped connecting to the server a few weeks ago because the password setting disappeared. When I try to enter the IMAP server password in the IMAP mail accounts setting, it seems to take it OK, but if you save and close and re-open the mail account settings page, the password field is blank. If I do the same from my account the password field has the 'blobs' showing in the password field as you would expect. I tried deleting and recreating my wife's IMAP mail account, but the password problem persists.

This used to work OK, can't think that I did anything out of the ordinary. I'm up to date on Tiger software updates. Any ideas?
It maybe a Keychain issue. That is where her info gets stored after tell it to get saved in Mail. Go in there and delete the entry for her Fastmail, and see if that fixes it. It should ask for her password, and hopefully keep it this time. Also, which account is the Administrative account? And have you done you run Check Permissions?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
varmit said:
It maybe a Keychain issue. That is where her info gets stored after tell it to get saved in Mail. Go in there and delete the entry for her Fastmail, and see if that fixes it. It should ask for her password, and hopefully keep it this time. Also, which account is the Administrative account? And have you done you run Check Permissions?

Thanks for the suggestions. The account where the mail works is the admin account. I run Macaroni so permissions get repaired weekly, and this has been happening for several weeks now.

If I run the keychain utility from the admin account, there are quite a number of entries, including 2 entries for Fastmail, that look identical except for the creation date. Would one of these be the entry for my wife's account? If I run the keychain utility from my wife's account, it doesn't seem to have any entries at all - I'm not sure if that's normal or not as it's the first time I've had to run the utility.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
blodwyn said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The account where the mail works is the admin account. I run Macaroni so permissions get repaired weekly, and this has been happening for several weeks now.

If I run the keychain utility from the admin account, there are quite a number of entries, including 2 entries for Fastmail, that look identical except for the creation date. Would one of these be the entry for my wife's account? If I run the keychain utility from my wife's account, it doesn't seem to have any entries at all - I'm not sure if that's normal or not as it's the first time I've had to run the utility.
Basically the Keychain just remembers you passwords and inputs them for you when you are authenticated as that user. So the two Fastmail accounts could be yours and hers. But the same URL is messing up the client. Might just delete both and then when your and her account ask for passwords, input them again. And hopefully the problem goes away.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
varmit said:
Basically the Keychain just remembers you passwords and inputs them for you when you are authenticated as that user. So the two Fastmail accounts could be yours and hers. But the same URL is messing up the client. Might just delete both and then when your and her account ask for passwords, input them again. And hopefully the problem goes away.

Thanks, I will try that tonight

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.