Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LettuceFarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2021
I'm subscribed to a few mailing lists. I created a designated folder for each one so that when an email arrives, it gets tagged and then immediately archived in that folder. I believe it worked for some time but for some reason I no longer find them in that folder. In fact, they're not even visible in my inbox. I thought my subscription ended. Upon checking, I found out they were under "ARCHIVE". So they don't even show up in my inbox when they first arrive. They immediately go to Archive.

I checked and then double checked my rules and they look fine. I haven't changed them. I even duplicated them and deleted one of them hoping it might fix a glitch or something but nothing changed. I attached a screenshot of the rules.

Anyone has an idea why this is happening?!
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 10.10.37 AM.png

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
Here are some steps to help diagnose and potentially fix the issue:

1. Check Rules for Conflicting Instructions: Make sure that none of the rules are telling the email client to archive the emails directly instead of moving them to specific folders.
2. Order of Rules: The order in which the rules are applied matters. If an earlier rule is archiving these emails before your custom rules apply, they will never make it to the designated folders. Check the order and adjust as needed.
3. Account Settings: Some email services have automatic archiving options or “clean-up” features. Review your email account settings for any such options that might be intercepting these emails.
4. Client vs. Web Interface: If you are using an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird, but your email service is on the web (Gmail, etc.), confirm that the rules are synchronized across both. Sometimes discrepancies arise if rules are only set up in one location.
5. Recreate the Rules: Sometimes, completely deleting and recreating the rules from scratch (rather than duplicating or modifying existing ones) can clear up any lingering issues.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
What mail service? e.g. gmail, iCloud, etc.

Do you use more than one device to access your email? e.g. iPhone as well as Mac.

I prefer to all my rules to be on the server. In gmail for example, you can set up rules from the web interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.