Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenrik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Ok so I need some help with the mail service on OSX 10.6 Server

I'm using GoDaddy for my domain name and GoDaddy DNS Total Control to handle my DNS stuff. The Server is Hosted on a Comcast Static Business IP.

I have my A name pointed at my IP address. XX.XX.XX.XX
I have a wildcard a name pointed at my IP *.mydomain.com.

If I try anything *.mydomain.com. it resolves without an issue. (wordpress Multisite is working with subdomains)

For my MX records I did mail.mydomain.com. and pointed it at my IP from GoDaddy.

On my gateway (mydomain.com.) that handles the network DNS for me I forwarded ports 25, 110 and 143 to my OSX 10.6 Server Box (server.mydomain.com.)

The problem is I can't seem to receive mail!
I know my DNS is setup correctly on the Server box as I have Open Directory and Kerberos, Xgrid, Mail etc... working internally.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Ok so I need some help with the mail service on OSX 10.6 Server

I'm using GoDaddy for my domain name and GoDaddy DNS Total Control to handle my DNS stuff. The Server is Hosted on a Comcast Static Business IP.

I have my A name pointed at my IP address. XX.XX.XX.XX
I have a wildcard a name pointed at my IP *.mydomain.com

If I try anything *.mydomain.com it resolves without an issue. (wordpress Multisite is working with subdomains)

For my MX records I did mail.mydomain.com and pointed it at my IP from GoDaddy.

On my gateway (mydomain.com) that handles the network DNS for me I forwarded ports 25, 110 and 143 to my OSX 10.6 Server Box (server.mydomain.com)

The problem is I can't seem to receive mail!
I know my DNS is setup correctly on the Server box as I have Open Directory and Kerberos, Xgrid, Mail etc... working internally.

Any ideas?

OK first off, in your dns you should have;

mydomain.com. MX 10 mail.mydomain.com.
mail A XX.XX.XX.XX

Assuming you do, you should have some outside your network make sure they resolve correctly.

Assuming that works, have someone outside your network telnet to port 25 or 143 on mail.mydomain.com

Oh and DNS being correct on your server doesn't matter for external mail servers to be able to find you.

Kenrik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
OK first off, in your dns you should have;

mydomain.com. MX 10 mail.mydomain.com.
mail A XX.XX.XX.XX

Assuming you do, you should have some outside your network make sure they resolve correctly.

Assuming that works, have someone outside your network telnet to port 25 or 143 on mail.mydomain.com

Oh and DNS being correct on your server doesn't matter for external mail servers to be able to find you.

I just pointed everything at my "A" record with "@" and let my gateway sort out the forwards to the server. Now everything works.

Pretty much nothing works in OSX Server without DNS being setup correctly. How would the mail service even function if my internal DNS was not setup right? it would not find the server or direct it to the right place?

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
You are correct. Bad DNS on your Mac Server will kill virtually everything.
From your first post it sounded like you simply hadn't set the MX record.

Anyway, glad you got it all solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.