Mail - Smart Mailbox or use a Folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mddharma, Feb 1, 2007.

1. mddharma macrumors regular

I have a lot of correspondence from many people in my business. I need help in setting up a "smart mailbox" or "smart folder" that will keep all the mail from one individual in the box or folder AND all of the mail I send them. I am stump!:eek:

ALSO, how would I move all the old correspondence into these new folders? If Mail is limited is there a third party solution?

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Smart folders don't really work for me...

what i do is create a regular folder, then make some Rules in the Mail preferences. very simple and easy to read, check them out! Have the rules send your mail to that folder.

3. mddharma thread starter macrumors regular

I had set up a smart folder but for what ever reason could not get my correspondence that I send to them to go to that mailbox. It seems as though that the rule would send ALL of my correspondence to anyone would go to the mail folder.:confused:

4. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

so don't use a smart folder :)

Attached Files:

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I find though that if I use the "Move to" action that I don't get a dock notification if I receive mail. How can I fix this?

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I like the idea of smart mailboxes, but they really need better Boolean logic for them to be useful. The choice of 'any' or 'all' for the conditions is too limited. I'm really hoping for a big change in Leopard. I know that Spotlight has the ability (if you know the syntax) to do this, it'd just be nice if it was GUI and across all system apps, not just spotlight.

7. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i use DockStar. i think it's $8 or something, totally worth it for me.