Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
When clicking on links on websites, I always glance at the "Status Bar" at the bottom, just to make sure I know where I'm going. However, on e-mails, I can't do this, and this is where it's most required, because most scam e-mails contain information in the URL so that if you click on it, they know that e-mail address exists and they continue to spam you. What should take place is first of all there is a status bar for links, but secondly, there is an optional feature where if turned on, it warns you before you click on the link that it takes you to a website that is different from the person's e-mail address. Therefore, if someone pretending to be from paypal.com sends you an e-mail, yet the link takes you to nonsense-domain-name.com, it will warn you not to click on it. These can be determined by specific rules, where you only set it to on if the person has never e-mailed you before, or the system believes it's junk etc.

Does anything like this exist?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Which e-mail program are you talking about?

In Apple Mail, you can hover over the link and the actual address it goes to will pop up so that you can easily see if it's a phishing attempt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.