Mail sync question

Discussion in 'Apple Music, iCloud and Apple Services' started by dubstar, Sep 28, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Not sure if this is a MobileMe function but:

I want my mail account on my imac and on my iphone to be in sync. Like if i check mail on my phone and delete messages then it will reflect on my imac as well.

I rarely open mail on my imac and when I do there are tons of messages that have been deleted on my iphone still in the inbox.

What do I need to do to have the deletions reflect on my imac?

2. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

If you are using MobileMe IMAP email on both devices it will do this.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I didn't specify that this is a gmail account. I am not actually using my mobileme email account.

Is this still possible?

4. macrumors 65816

Mr Kram

yes, gmail supports imap on both devices. you don't even need mobile me to accomplish this. mobile me only syncs the settings in mail, not the mail itself.

edit: let me add, that if you were using a pop3 account, you could fetch it through your mobileme (or gmail) account and sync that way also. i use gmail to fetch mail from two pop3 accounts that don't support imap.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Honestly, I am not too familiar with IMAP, POP3 and their functions. I recognize the terms....

could you let me know what steps to take to make this happen? or provide a link?

thanks for you help.

6. thread starter macrumors member

got it, thanks for the info!