Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hi, I installed the update to OSX (10.4.3) last nite, all 97 mb of it and since then, Mail won't open. The icon bounces up and down in the tray and the beach ball spins and spins and spins. I have to close it using Finder/Force Quit.

Any thoughts??

Frank

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
1. Did you try repairing permission?
2. There is a program called Pacifist that will allow you to extract Mail from the install CD. It will allow you to reinstall it.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>Did you try repairing permission?<,

Where do I do that??

Frank

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Wow. How cool. That worked like a charm. Now what did that do, and how often should I do that???

Thanks.

Frank

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Glad is worked.

Every file has certain permissions associated with it. They tell who can read, write, or execute a file. These permission can get messed very easily. Most times the small changes to permissions are not noticed. Other times they cause great problems. Basically the Disk Utility makes sure all permissions are correct. If not, it changes them to the correct permission.

Obviously, repair permissions when there is a problem. It is always the first thing I try. I also run them every week. That may be overkill, but at least one thing is fixed every time if run it. Once a month is probably the minimum you should do it. Also, before and after I install software or an update, I repair permissions. Makes installs easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.