1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Mainpage encoding is wrong

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Palad1, Oct 14, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Hello!

I use safari and firefox both on Mac and PC (well, not safari of course:) ) and I sometimes notice strange characters (white on black diamonds with a question mark inside) on the front page.

Seems like the html headers declare that the encoding is UTF-8, but it actually seems to be ISO-8859-1, as the artefacts go away when I force this encoding.

Thanks for your work on the site,
    Cheers,Palad1

2. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I get those shapes on Firefox under Win 2k... so at least your not crazy... in this instance... :)

3. macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Hello,

I looked deeper into the site and it seems that the forum uses iso8859-1 , whereas the main site uses UTF-8.

So when the main site includes subject lines from the forums, all hell breaks loose.

It's just a matter of translating from the forums encoding into the main site encoding. You can do this by calling the php function utf8_encode (see here: http://fr2.php.net/manual/en/function.utf8-encode.php )

I guess switching the forums over to utf-8 is just too much work, altough it'd be nice for our korean friends :)

4. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Thanks for the info - we'll look into it :)

5. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Maybe related but when i click on a posting from the main page and then click back to the home page the font changes.

Never happens with any other web-site.

Win 2000 Pro
    Win Ex 6.02

6. macrumors 6502a

Palad1

7. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Good sleuthing - I'll follow up with the folks who can change those settings and we'll see what we can do.

8. macrumors 6502a

Palad1

[​IMG]
    Sleuthing - That's what tiggers do best!

9. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Bien sûr. ;)

10. macrumors 68000

Squire

Why do you say that? I don't seem to have any problem. (Unless you mean typing in Hangul.)

Squire

11. macrumors 6502a

Palad1

yup, that's what I meant :)

12. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Although reported twice after this thread in 2005, this is still a bug that I came across today (after 4.5 years!). Looks like it's the same too - the forum text is ISO 8859-1 (ISO Latin 1) but the front page is set to UTF-8. Manually overriding the encoding in both Safari and Firefox fixes it.

Example:
    MREncodings.png

13. macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I get the same thing too sometimes. I always thought it was just a Firefox bug.

Do you want us to post here if we see the same thing again? (with browser version and webpage / post URL?

14. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I don't think it's necessary. It's a recurring bug that will continue to show up until it's fixed. It's an encoding issue with the text, not browser/OS.

15. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've seen this issue too on occasion.

16. macrumors regular

Character Encoding of MacRumors.com

Hi guys,

I have to use a PC at work :mad: and whenever I see items with quotation marks, Firefox at least gives it the unknown Unicode character symbol. I have tried several different encodings to no avail.

What am missing? Can something be done to correct this, as this is pretty much the only site I have seen in a long while where I get unknown character symbols (I even installed all of the foreign language packs just so I don't get unknown char/boxes/weird symbols!)

Example:
    isn’t ​

I hope copy/paste will actually work.

On a side note, you guys should register MacRumours.com and redirect it here.

Cheers,

Jon

PS- After posting it seemed copy/pasting "corrected" the issue at hand, however, on the main page view I get the problem using FF. I haven't checked yet using IE, Safari, Opera, Chrome, etc.

PPS- In fact I haven't even been to this site on my Mac since I do all of my reading at work where I have more "downtime"! ;-)

17. macrumors demi-god

wrldwzrd89

I believe MacRumors uses UTF-8. If your browser is set to something other than Unicode (UTF-8) for MacRumors, that may explain the character problems.

18. macrumors regular

I am indeed using UTF-8.

[​IMG]
    Character Encoding Settings

[​IMG]
    Example of the problem at hand

19. macrumors 601

sammich

20. macrumors regular

Previous Thread Locked For No Reason

I was brought to this thread and apparently the mods thought it fit to lock it in a unresolved state. Which I think is unfair and was done with too much haste and with the lack of thought.

Regardless, I will add to this thread instead.

[​IMG]

Changing the character encoding to ISO-1859-1 did jack squat.

[​IMG]

However, not all quotes seem to have the problem, regardless of their character encodings.

21. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

^^^Yeah, that's a problem with pasting curly quotes and apostrophes. We usually fix them, but sometimes they slip through.

That one should be fixed now.