Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackCRB

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2009
Possible solution to Airport problem

Since upgrading to Snow Leopard the Airport connection to my Wireless completely died. Airport would detect the WLAN but would not validate my password any longer. In the log file I constantly found the error messages:
- Apple80211Associate() failed
- airportd MIG failed (Associate Event)

I tried everything that has been suggested on various forums like resetting the SMC controller, resetting the PRAM and deleting the preferences stored in HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Nothing worked.

Then, last night, I discovered what works for me: I renamed the Wireless station, i.e. I changed the SSID on both the WLAN and on my laptop. That instantly made the trick, and everything has been working smoothly!

I guess that whatever solution I had tried before had not been able to get rid of some corrupted piece of information which was still blocking the connection.

Hope this hint can help some of you.

bwbeta

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Thank you Webgoat :) You da man

I was at my brothers house this weekend helping him configure a new Linksys wireless router. I used my Mac laptop with Snow Leopard to configure his router ... problem is that is totally screwed up my airport card. It would not accept my known password on any trusted networks. Not sure why this was happening ... but your trashing of preferences did the trick .. yipeee. Thank god I didn't ahve to get on the phone with some dummy at apple support for 2 hours .. you saved me ...I owe you. BW

KalleG

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Airport fix does not work for me.

Hi everyone. I hope that someone can help me. I tried all the above solutions but my airport (on my mbp c2d) keep dropping every 2 seconds after i upgraded to SL. I've deleted my internet keychain, deleted network location, restarted multiple times, also in safe mode. I've deleted cache and systemconfiguration folders. I've tried just about everything except downgrading to leopard (i'm hoping that i won't have to!).
I dont loose the connection completely but when i max out my connection i reach my max download, and then it zero's out and repeats every second second (se attached screenshot). This makes my connection extremely unstable of course. Any suggestions, i'm on the edge of throwing the damn thing out of the window and buying the new 27" I7 IMAC (an expensive fix)?

airport.png

YrbkladyCarla

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
San Jose, CA
Can't thank you enough!

Only been on Macbook Pro a year so still in the honeymoon period. I trusted Apple not to put a foot wrong so hitting this issue with SL was disappointing. I've spent most of tonight reviewing forums and trying the 2 solutions that seem to be touted as successful: -

1. Enter a new location - remember to go to the TCP/IP tab and Renew the DHCP Lease - seems to work for some.

2. Delete the contents of HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, Empty Trash and Reboot.

I tried both in that order without luck. After deleting these settings, I still found traces for my Wireless network inside the keychain. I purged those too. Tried 2 again - no luck.

I tried 2 once more but on 'shutdown' then restarted manually. Don't know why but it worked!

Worth a shot if you don't get anywhere with 1 & 2.:D

After weeks of struggling with this issue, it is solved! After doing both steps one and two, I rebooted in safe mode, did step 2 again, and rebooted. It's perfect! Thanks--you saved my MacBook Pro from meeting my wall!:p

jasbur

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
Only been on Macbook Pro a year so still in the honeymoon period. I trusted Apple not to put a foot wrong so hitting this issue with SL was disappointing. I've spent most of tonight reviewing forums and trying the 2 solutions that seem to be touted as successful: -

1. Enter a new location - remember to go to the TCP/IP tab and Renew the DHCP Lease - seems to work for some.

2. Delete the contents of HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, Empty Trash and Reboot.

I tried both in that order without luck. After deleting these settings, I still found traces for my Wireless network inside the keychain. I purged those too. Tried 2 again - no luck.

I tried 2 once more but on 'shutdown' then restarted manually. Don't know why but it worked!

Worth a shot if you don't get anywhere with 1 & 2.:D

I booted into safe mode (hold SHIFT while booting) and did step 2. It worked!

miumiu

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
you can try deleting com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, NetworkInterfaces.plist, and preferences.plist form /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and restart to get the airport interface working again

Had to register just to say thank you for the solution. All good now. Airport behaving.

pdasilva02

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
Worked!!!!!!

Man i've had the same problem for the past 3 weeks!! I've reinstalled OS leopard twice and nothing. NOW FINALY a solution. I 2 registered just so I could say THANK YOU!! now this problem is finally out of my mind! thanks again!!!!!!!!

lorenzo.grespan

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
delete keychain airport information

Hi there,

after struggling to install snow leopard myself (apparently my disc reader went bananas lately) through the Target Drive via firewire cable, I found myself offline.
I searched up and large for solutions. Tried mostly everything that I found, including

- delete the system preferences in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
- booting in safe user mode
- creating a new network location, erasing the old one, renaming, removing all services
- killing mDNSResponder, re-doing DNS config files, etc

to no avail.
In particular, I could ping the IP addresses of hosts inside and outside the LAN; could connect to server by ip; but no internet. Safari, Firefox, Chrome, even ping a hostname would result in ..nothing.

Tcpdump showed no DNS queries going outside when performing a ping; however, a 'host http://www.google.com' worked fine when I was online.

Not to mention that, right after the update, I could no longer join any network. I've seen all problems described here and elsewhere.

The last thing I did, which fixed my situation (intel macbook 2.2Ghz core 2 duo) was deleting the keychain files. In particular, I found old information about wireless networks I joined in the System keychain. Trying to delete them would hang the keychain access app; so I manually removed (from the terminal) the system keychian in /System/Library/Keychains, re-created it with systemkeychain -C, (obviously) rebooted et viola.

To sum up:

- upgrading to snow leopard from leopard on a macbook might give network issues;
- those issues might manifest as the impossibility to resolve hostnames using the system-wide DNS library (which is independent from the /etc/resolv.conf file);
- this is probably due to a bug/feature/protocol implementation on the DNS resolution order + TTL/caching of resolved names

in order to solve, available steps are:

- delete/create a new network location (usually solves the problem for a little only)
- add/remove airport service(s)
- leave the mac alone for a while, so that it will recreate its own caches (most of the time it won't work for you)
- kill and restart the mDNSResolver daemon every few minutes
- remove every reference to your networking saved data, including what you find in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, saved data in Network Preference.pane, and saved passwords in the System keychain.

My hypotheses:

- if there are inconsistencies in any of the above services (related to network names/network preferences/saved networks/DNS and manually-set preferences) the system might go haywire, and become unpredictable. Such unpredictabilities will manifest as network malfunctions, unexpected, un-traceable and that cannot be pinpointed to a specific application/configuration/hardware combination.
- doing an update or a fresh install might not be such a difference: if you have saved network preferences in a backup or time machine backup, you might end up in inconsistencies

here, I hope it helps.

ps: a funny thing: browsing the internet via sun virtualbox worked. In retrospect, not so funny - virtualbox kernel drivers obviously don't need to go through the network preference abstraction / library overhead.

lorenzo.grespan

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
delete keychain airport information - see other thread

Hi there, I posted a reply here.

update - sorry, I replied twice to the same thread.

mucnamara

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Ireland
Thank you

I just registered to say thank you to all those who posted possible solutions to this problem, especially Jasmurphy whose advice worked! Thank you again.

Helpmeasap

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
I just started college an I bought a MacBook Pro last year. The wifi signal is very strong on it but when I go to open safari it tells me failed to load ! I don't get it I removed the system config I made a new location I'm not sure what's left to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.