Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Okay, my moms 20" intel iMac is having weird issues. It refuses to import pictures and does strange things with them. Oh, did I mention that its about as slow as her pervious 400mhz G4?

Genius bar told us it was the aftermarket RAM, which has since been replaced with a whole different (and more expensive) brand. NOTHING. :mad:

I suspect logic board problems.

Anyways, she CANNOT live without her iMac (work ceases to exist w/o it –she is a photographer!).

I need to call AppleCare tomorrow and deal with this once and for all. I *hope* I can get her a loner (or just get it replaced)

Thoughts? :eek:

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Kingsly said:
I need to call AppleCare tomorrow and deal with this once and for all. ... Thoughts? :eek:

When did this start? Any hardware or software additions right before it happened? You could try doing a clean install of the system (since Apple will probably do this). And, yes, you definitely should call Applecare. Good luck.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Kingsly said:
It was just random. The computer began acting funny, stopped importing pics, and slowly degraded speed-wise. :(

check out the activity monitor and see if there are any active processes that are hogging CPU time and memory allocation. If so, kill those processes. If not, try creating a new user account and logging in with that.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Seriously, I've tried it all. I am sticking to my logic board theory. Its bad... deteriorating as the minutes go by... :( :mad:

Hopefully Apple will replace it, as this is the second bad iMac we've gotten and she cant afford to be without one for even a day.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Did you repair permissions? Better yet, download OnyX and let it run one of the standard maintenance routines. And just to be safe, unplug any FW/USB devices and then reboot, then run OnyX. Sometimes FW/USB devices can cause some weird issues.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Kingsly said:
Seriously, I've tried it all. I am sticking to my logic board theory. Its bad... deteriorating as the minutes go by... :( :mad:

Hopefully Apple will replace it, as this is the second bad iMac we've gotten and she cant afford to be without one for even a day.

did you try to reset the firmware? might be worth a shot...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.