Major iMac issues...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kingsly, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Okay, my moms 20" intel iMac is having weird issues. It refuses to import pictures and does strange things with them. Oh, did I mention that its about as slow as her pervious 400mhz G4?

Genius bar told us it was the aftermarket RAM, which has since been replaced with a whole different (and more expensive) brand. NOTHING. :mad:

I suspect logic board problems.

Anyways, she CANNOT live without her iMac (work ceases to exist w/o it –she is a photographer!).

I need to call AppleCare tomorrow and deal with this once and for all. I *hope* I can get her a loner (or just get it replaced)

Thoughts? :eek:

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

When did this start? Any hardware or software additions right before it happened? You could try doing a clean install of the system (since Apple will probably do this). And, yes, you definitely should call Applecare. Good luck.

3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

It was just random. The computer began acting funny, stopped importing pics, and slowly degraded speed-wise. :(

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

check out the activity monitor and see if there are any active processes that are hogging CPU time and memory allocation. If so, kill those processes. If not, try creating a new user account and logging in with that.

5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Seriously, I've tried it all. I am sticking to my logic board theory. Its bad... deteriorating as the minutes go by... :( :mad:

Hopefully Apple will replace it, as this is the second bad iMac we've gotten and she cant afford to be without one for even a day.

6. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Did you repair permissions? Better yet, download OnyX and let it run one of the standard maintenance routines. And just to be safe, unplug any FW/USB devices and then reboot, then run OnyX. Sometimes FW/USB devices can cause some weird issues.

7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Done it and done it. Haven't tried OnyX though.

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

did you try to reset the firmware? might be worth a shot...

9. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I would... but Apple locked me out of EFI... I miss the good 'ol days of Open Firmware... :eek:

10. generik macrumors 601

generik

Sounds like a spyware problem, what OS are you running on that iMac?

11. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

^^
    OSX.

Never used BootCamp or parallels. Don't use *any* microsoft software.

EDIT: going to the Apple store now... wish me luck and direct all that good RDF energy my way! ;)

12. Paul S macrumors regular

What's the update on this? Did you get the problem resolved?

13. imacintel macrumors 68000

:rolleyes: