Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
This should be a quick answer...

I have a hard drive that has been in my PC and I would like to format it so that my Mac can read and write on it and my PC can read and write on it...Is this possible?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
FF_productions said:
This should be a quick answer...

I have a hard drive that has been in my PC and I would like to format it so that my Mac can read and write on it and my PC can read and write on it...Is this possible?

Yes. Format FAT32, assuming you can format it that way. Most notebooks however come equipped with NTFS drives by default that can't be formatted FAT32.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
According to disk utility, it is a MS-DOS File System, do I have to format it with my PC? Is there a program for OSX that will let me just do this on my Mac. I'm clueless...

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
You format it with the Mac, and since it doesn't do any error-checking you check it with the PC. Format an MS-DOS drive on the Mac using Disk Utility, then mount it on a PC and Check it (scan for bad sectors or whatever it is switch).

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
yes. you format it as FAT32 on the Mac and then check it on the windows machine for errors. after that, you can read and write from both machines.

good luck!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
You could just use it after the format, but there's no way to tell if there are bad sectors on the hard disk. So you're best off using a Windows box to run a full check on it (check for bad sectors switch = on). On a several hundred gig disk it'll take a few hours but you will have a disk that you have some confidence in afterwards. You can't format a FAT32 partition bigger than 32gb in Windows, but you can check a FAT32 partition of any size.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Ok..formatted..Now I'm moving files back to the hard drive and then I'm going to test it on PC.

So far so good..

What my plan has been is to show my dad how OSX works, I hope he doesn't come home early and see his PC on the ground all opened up with his hard drive missing!!:eek:

Thanks for the help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.