Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
im having problems creating one netwok with 3 airport devices. i have a base station that takes the modems signal via eithernet. and 2 apextreems through out the house. the are free standing.
my goal is to have one network through out the house that has access to the web. and to play music(airtunes) through one xtreem(witch must be downstars,behind the tv).
the set up is:
main base station- upstars office
xtreem 1- bedroom
xtreem 2- livingroom
i dont know for sure if im suposed to set them up as remote's or relays first of all. and also, either way i do it. i still get 2 networks and one has no internet.
can someone please help walk me through this, cause im kinda confused.
plus i dont understand the dif between relay and remote.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I can help, as I have that setup. Give me a sec to post instructions.

Let me know if you have problems, but this should work:

• Open Applications->Utilities->Airport Admin Utility
  • Once it scans, you should see all three airports. If you don't see other instructions below.
  • If you see all three, select them all and click Configure (you can command-click to select them all, or just do it three times in a row).
  • On all three AE's, go to the AirPort tab, set "Wireless Mode" to "Create a Wireless Network (Home Router)", set the same Name for all, set Wireless Security (preferably) to WPA2 Personal (and set up passwords, etc.), and set the same channel for all (maybe you don't need to... but this works for me).
  • Go to the internet tab. For the Master, set to Connect Using: Ethernet. For the others, set to "Connect Using: AirPort (WDS)", and, for those, set the MAC Address of the host to the "AirPort ID" you can see when you click on the master in the main Airport Admin Utility window.
  • On the network tab, I disable "Distribute IP addresses" because I have another router; I'd at least disable it on the non-master AEs or it won't work.
  • On the WDS tab, set the base as "Enable this base station as a WDS main base station"; on the others set it to "Enable this base station as a WDS remote base station" - also enable wireless clients.
  • Click "Update" to update the AE's.
  • Wait....

Try that.

If you can't see some of the AE's, set up the base station as mentioned above, then you can always reset the others as follows: while holding in the reset button (use a toothpick, pen, etc.), plug them in, and keep the button held until they blink green four times (it'll take over 10 seconds, and it's a bit of a pain). use Applications->Utilities->Airport Setup Assistant, and it'll walk you through the steps.

Please post back to let me know if it works or if you have other problems. Note that the two remotes must be able to get a signal from the base.

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
nice! thanx man
sucks, but i have to run out for the day now so im going to pick this up later, maybe mid day or even tonight. so, thanx and ill let you know for sure how it worked out.
i got an awesome day ahead. going for a serious mt bike trail ride with a bunch of freinds and then its the last day of flying trapeze for the season. then going to a halloween parade! fun day! hehe, ok, please excuse me, just i bit giddy. see ya later
Luc

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
leme just ask one thing... if i get it set up proper will i onely see one network in the dropdown wifi icon in the main tool bar? i asume so, and i want that. ok, gota run, talk to ya later

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
leme just ask one thing... if i get it set up proper will i onely see one network in the dropdown wifi icon in the main tool bar? i asume so, and i want that. ok, gota run, talk to ya later
Yes - you should see only one network - the name you chose for all three in the AirPort tab. :)

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
wow, so, the same day i posted for help, in a rage of frustration, my brother threw his xtreem out the window and shaterd it on the driveway. he was frustrated because he couldnt access it. if he had onely asked i would have told him how to manually reboot to default. and if he knew i was working on them he might not have. but ohh well, so, thanx for your help anyways. and if i get another one or he does, ill take it from there
thanx again, see ya later

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.