Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonicardo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
I have this one computer at work that has two printers connected to it and a process (HP communicator) that runs upon startup prevents the one printer from working. It doesn't effect any other aspect of my computer when shuting it off, but I was wondering if I could set it so that it doesn't run upon turning on the computer. I could delete it, but I won't be maintaining this computer in a couple of years so I don't really want to change too much in case someone futher along discovers a problem that needs this process.

I guess I am also interested in knowing how to shut off processes if that's possible.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
tonicardo said:
I have this one computer at work that has two printers connected to it and a process (HP communicator) that runs upon startup prevents the one printer from working. It doesn't effect any other aspect of my computer when shuting it off, but I was wondering if I could set it so that it doesn't run upon turning on the computer. I could delete it, but I won't be maintaining this computer in a couple of years so I don't really want to change too much in case someone futher along discovers a problem that needs this process.

I guess I am also interested in knowing how to shut off processes if that's possible.
Is this process listed as a login item in your account preferences? If so, then just delete it and it shouldn't happen again. If not, you've got me stumped.

tonicardo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
pdpfilms said:
Is this process listed as a login item in your account preferences? If so, then just delete it and it shouldn't happen again. If not, you've got me stumped.

I think I am going to end up erasing it, but next time I'm in at work I'll check the account preferences and see what I can find. That's a great idea I over looked and it might help.

Finding out that this is the problem has been a four week thing in its self. So I didn't want to rush in and delete until I asked if there was another way and tried a few things first.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
If it's a process that is started at boot time, it'll be in /Library/StartupItems/. Remove it from there and restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.