Making a process not run everytime it boots

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tonicardo, Nov 11, 2005.

1. tonicardo macrumors newbie

I have this one computer at work that has two printers connected to it and a process (HP communicator) that runs upon startup prevents the one printer from working. It doesn't effect any other aspect of my computer when shuting it off, but I was wondering if I could set it so that it doesn't run upon turning on the computer. I could delete it, but I won't be maintaining this computer in a couple of years so I don't really want to change too much in case someone futher along discovers a problem that needs this process.

I guess I am also interested in knowing how to shut off processes if that's possible.

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Is this process listed as a login item in your account preferences? If so, then just delete it and it shouldn't happen again. If not, you've got me stumped.

3. tonicardo thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I am going to end up erasing it, but next time I'm in at work I'll check the account preferences and see what I can find. That's a great idea I over looked and it might help.

Finding out that this is the problem has been a four week thing in its self. So I didn't want to rush in and delete until I asked if there was another way and tried a few things first.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If it's a process that is started at boot time, it'll be in /Library/StartupItems/. Remove it from there and restart.