Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on it..... so....

I recently reinstalled Quicktime, now everytime I download an .MP3 file to my desktop or wherever, it has Quicktime as the default MP3 player..... Even when I right click it and do Open With... and select Always Open With (iTunes) it just selects that one file to open with iTunes everytime.....

I was seeing if there was a way to make iTunes my default MP3 player for all mp3s..... It seems to only be occuring with newly downloaded files. All my older MP3's still open in iTunes.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Highlight an mp3 file and press apple+I to get info. On the info pane look for Open with, select itunes and then select change all

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
swiftaw said:
Highlight an mp3 file and press apple+I to get info. On the info pane look for Open with, select itunes and then select change all

Took me 20 mins to remmber that, i had to change teh defult player for a friend over the phone the other day :)

bryantdiaz878

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
yes

yes that's true and that is the method that i am using right now...but it is pain staking when its hundreds of music files you have to change..for example in windows all you have to do is right click that type of file and make it default..and after that action ALL of those types of files will open (including the icons), also in windows when you go to the options/settings of that program it ask you if you want to make it a default of those types of files...so i was wondering if there is an easier option to make iTunes my default media player for my imac?..thanks again

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
yes that's true and that is the method that i am using right now...but it is pain staking when its hundreds of music files you have to change..for example in windows all you have to do is right click that type of file and make it default..and after that action ALL of those types of files will open (including the icons), also in windows when you go to the options/settings of that program it ask you if you want to make it a default of those types of files...so i was wondering if there is an easier option to make iTunes my default media player for my imac?..thanks again

As previously mentioned, pressing "change all" should change it to be the default

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008

Sorry to bump such an old topic but a little search and I found this topic, it worked great!
I change my files to always open with a different music player instead of iTunes and hit changed all.
Sweet! :) hehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.