Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CHC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Hi
I want to load 10.3 on my external drive and use it as a startup/backup.
I am having problems loading the os from disk. it keeps starting over after the first dik finishes. Mac gurus help please
Hc

CHC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
help

Yes it's a firewire. How do I clone it?

yellow said:
Is your external a firewire drive?

Why not just clone your existing boot disk to the external?

Ti_Poussin

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
install Mac OS X on the HD, or copy it with command line or with Carbon Copy cloner. Select it in the preferences panels Startup disk. Or you can old the T key while booting for a firewire drive (target mode, should work). If any of those work, your HD doesn't support booting.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Ti_Poussin said:
Select it in the preferences panels Startup disk. Or you can old the T key while booting for a firewire drive (target mode, should work). If any of those work, your HD doesn't support booting.

Slight correction here..

Holding down the t key for Target mode is for booting a Mac into target mode for use as a firewire device on another computer. To select a different start up device at pre-boot from your Mac, hold down Option and once it's done scanning the bueses, you can select other boot devices and start from there.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
setting up a start up disk on the external HD

So, to set up a start up disk on the external firewire HD, do you install the Tiger DVD on that external HD and format it Mac native format HFS+? For making the exact carbon copy of the Mac to the external HD, you can use SuperDuper. But, I would like to make sure if I understood correctly as far as setting up a start up disk on the external HD so that I can boot from that HD to run various disk utilities such as Disk Warrior (as you cannot run those utilities on the start up disk).

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
The disk has to be HFS+. You can either completely reinstall OS X from the DVD onto the drive, or you can clone your current boot drive to it. Either way, doesn't matter. Ultimately, it'll be easier and smarter to clone, as that also functions as a rudimentary backup of your boot drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.