Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Just following from another thread that went off topic discussion, where is the mac with malware and viruses?

What is the real risk to OS X? and how can problem be spotted if they are hidden?

I travel a lot with my macbook, and need to connect to many strange wifi networks for work and emails. It always sits at the back of my mind that some strange network could get access. At home/work I have a trusted firewall and NAT router.

I've not got any virus protection the mac, and for all that people say PCs are high risk, mine in the office all have antivirus (norton on some and trend on others). Usually it's quite easy to see malware active on a PC, and find it, does the mac show similar symptoms?, or are the folder all protected against that?

I've often wonder if safari private browsing is safer when on foreign networks for sites you don't know. Usual sites are fine, but in China for example, many usual site are blocked, or rerouted, or even need to search local sites for information (because google is blocked). Does private browsing protect the mac? Can the malware/virus still get through or is everything deleted when you close the window?

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Based on the lack of replies, either no one knows, or there is nothing out there to be concerned about for yosemite.

flimpy

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2015
My relative got his Mac infected, I had to reinstall OS X to clean it up (could not get rid of the virus any other way).
After that I installed Norton Internet Security and AdBlock to his Safari. This setup works very well so far - no more infections.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Infected with what? and how did it show up?

Was it attacked, or were the browsing dodgy sites?

flimpy

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2015
Infected with what? and how did it show up?
Was it attacked, or were the browsing dodgy sites?

I do not know how it got infected and I do not remember the name of the malware.

What that virus did is it probably tried to hijack the traffic, since all web-sites using SSL certificates were throwing a message saying that identity can not be verifyed or something. Some of these sites just refused to work at all. This virus prevented me from loading any antivirus on that laptop, so I could not just remove it, I had to re-install OS X from scratch.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Malware is continuously evolving, dependant on usage and workflow third party solution can be a requirement. I travel frequently for work purpose, similar connecting to numerous networks. All my Mac`s have a level of third party protection, the bare minimum is the likes of Malwarebytes, a passive AV scanner (Bitdefender) and a good VPN.

For those of you who don't need or want an "active" solution, try Bitdefender Antivirus Scanner from the App store; it`s free, nonintrusive, and runs only when you want it to. The scanner does not offer much in the line of protection being very much an on demand tool, equally for the majority of OS X users, most just want to validate that the drive is free of malicious code be it related to OS X or Windows. Where Bitdefender`s Scanner excels is detection & simplicity having no daemons or start up agents etc.

You get Bitdefender`s top notch detection in a basic package that you control, however this is not for those who are looking for a set & forget solution, as all scans are manual, and updates only occur when you open the application. That being said an Apple Script, Calendar can easily trigger the application at a given interval. The scanner learns and only scans new & modified files, so in general running a scan for malicious code is swift & painless, once the first pass is competed. Custom scans and Drag & Drop area all present.

Depending on usage/workflow an "active" Malware application is not always the best solution, and there is also the argument that such "active" solutions can be a double-edged sword potentially increasing the "attack surface" against sophisticated threats. Security is very much a multifaceted beast, malware prevention/detection is for both OS X & Windows just one aspect, which is always worth thinking on

For an active AV solution Avast has always worked well for me, Little Snitch is another useful tool to observe and tightly control the data flow from your system, there are other more focused security applications available. Personally I don't dwell on it overly, simply scanning the drive(s) periodically. I also use MiFi router with a repeater capability, as this adds another layer of protection, with it`s hardware security features.

Q-6

Аррlе

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2016
Just following from another thread that went off topic discussion, where is the mac with malware and viruses?

What is the real risk to OS X? and how can problem be spotted if they are hidden?

I travel a lot with my macbook, and need to connect to many strange wifi networks for work and emails. It always sits at the back of my mind that some strange network could get access. At home/work I have a trusted firewall and NAT router.

I've not got any virus protection the mac, and for all that people say PCs are high risk, mine in the office all have antivirus (norton on some and trend on others). Usually it's quite easy to see malware active on a PC, and find it, does the mac show similar symptoms?, or are the folder all protected against that?

I've often wonder if safari private browsing is safer when on foreign networks for sites you don't know. Usual sites are fine, but in China for example, many usual site are blocked, or rerouted, or even need to search local sites for information (because google is blocked). Does private browsing protect the mac? Can the malware/virus still get through or is everything deleted when you close the window?
I would consider VPN if you travel a lot.
If you anyway connect to a strange network, deactivate any sharing on your Mac and turn the firewall on. Also any visited site must begin with https and with the correct address. Also never ever accept any untrusted certificate.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
I thought the firewall was pointless on a mac as it has no listening ports. And if there is something on then it can also connect out through the firewall.

VPN may or may not work, I've had problems in China with VPN before.

Аррlе

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2016
Better the fw OFF than ON? I doubt.
Also, the private browsing can only protect your wife from knowing what you surf. It doesn't NOT protect you from anything else.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Do you mean a paid for VPN? or a private VPN back to your home or office?

I've read too many bad stories of paid for VPN services to get around the GFW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.