Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
:eek:

A man has been banned from having a mobile phone or Sim card for five years because he repeatedly makes hoax 999 calls.

Barry Docherty, 24, was given an anti-social behaviour order after he refused to stop diverting emergency workers to draw attention to himself.
Last autumn, Docherty, of York, was jailed for making 50 silent calls to the police control room in an hour.
The ASBO forbids him from contacting any of the emergency services or dialling 999 unless in a genuine emergency.
He is also forbidden from being in possession of a mobile phone or being in possession of a Sim card that could be used in any electronic device.
If he breaches the order he could be jailed.
A spokeswoman for North Yorkshire Police said: "We are pleased with today's result, the order sends a clear warning of the consequences of wasting the emergency services' time.
"Valuable police time and resources have been taken up by this individual, and he deserves the restrictions imposed on his ability to carry out nuisance and time-wasting communications."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...5/Man-banned-from-mobiles-for-five-years.html

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
50 silent calls to the same number in an hour ??

That's pretty obsessive - I would consider some sort of mental health issue / disability. Seems he needs help, not condemnation.

Seems to like hoarding sim cards too, otherwise they wouldn't bother to mention that.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
SO he was jailed for doing this last Autumn, then he started doing it again recently and was given an ASBO?

5 years does sound like a long time to go w/o a phone. But if he repeated this behaviour after being jailed for it previously you're dealing with a first class idiot, and with our jails full what can you do. There's no mention of him needing psychological help here, something that is always quickly used in defense if it's relevant, do we can mostly rule that out.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
There's no mention of him needing psychological help here, something that is always quickly used in defense if it's relevant, do we can mostly rule that out.

You know what the Telegraph is like - they like to leave out anything that detracts from the sensationalism of the story.

They reported on the guy that beat up two robbers with a cricket bat, making him sound like a hero, even though he left one of them brain damaged and disabled for life. Conveniently forgot to mention the robbers were running away, and the guy beat them up with the bat AFTER they had surrendered - so it wasn't in self-defence at all.

Not to mention their reporting of the 'hero' farmer that shot a thief in the back, killing him - didn't mention the thief was also running away.

I'm all for legitimate self-defence in the home - anything goes, especially if you have family or kids upstairs - but lethal force is not acceptable when the assailant is running away or has surrendered.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
We meet people every day who should have their cell phones taken away. It should happen more often as a gift to society.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Not to mention the moron was dialing 911 incorrectly.

What a gnarb. What a maroon. What a dip.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Not to mention the moron was dialing 911 incorrectly.

999 is the emergency number used in Europe. It also works in the US, as I learned when my 2 year old grabbed my phone and held down the 9 button. I got a call back from the 911 dispatcher and had to explain what happened.:eek:

We meet people every day who should have their cell phones taken away. It should happen more often as a gift to society.

Yes. Ban my wife and kids from using cell phones. I could use the extra $150 a month.:)

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Right but it's supposed to be 911. Europeans can never get these thins right.

jona2d

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
You know what the Telegraph is like - they like to leave out anything that detracts from the sensationalism of the story.

They reported on the guy that beat up two robbers with a cricket bat, making him sound like a hero, even though he left one of them brain damaged and disabled for life. Conveniently forgot to mention the robbers were running away, and the guy beat them up with the bat AFTER they had surrendered - so it wasn't in self-defence at all.

Not to mention their reporting of the 'hero' farmer that shot a thief in the back, killing him - didn't mention the thief was also running away.

I'm all for legitimate self-defence in the home - anything goes, especially if you have family or kids upstairs - but lethal force is not acceptable when the assailant is running away or has surrendered.

Haha, well for the most part I agree with you. If they have surrendered and/or are running away WITHOUT my stuff, then good for them, maybe just a warning shot in the air, or 'near' them to give them a good scare...

But if they just robbed my house, and are running away WITH my stuff, they best expect to get shot...maybe not fatally, but i'm gonna stop them if they're on my property. Once they get a step off, then its the po-po's job, lol.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
999 is the emergency number used in Europe. It also works in the US, as I learned when my 2 year old grabbed my phone and held down the 9 button. I got a call back from the 911 dispatcher and had to explain what happened.:eek:

Yes. Ban my wife and kids from using cell phones. I could use the extra $150 a month.:)

The reason for 999 is historical, dating from the first days of dial phones. In the dark or smoke, you could always find the hole in the dial for 9 by putting two fingers into the dial and using the second finger to dial round as far as you could. Not so easy with 911 or 112.

In France there are three emergency numbers, 15, 17 and 18 for Ambulance/Medical, Police and Fire respectively. I can never remember which is which. 112 takes you to a central emergency centre, where you are quite likely to be put on hold, as I know, when I dialled it after being the first person to arrive on the scene at a nasty car accident in very rural France. I therefore handed my mobile to a young female, who was next to arrive, while I provided first aid medical assistance. She proceeded to tell the police, when they finally answered, that as I was British, I must have caused the accident - that took a lot of sorting out!

Wilson

Renese-Williams

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
Well, he had it coming. He should have known that he would be caught and punished. Still though, it is kind of crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.