Man coughs up screw after operation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by frances, Oct 13, 2005.

1. frances macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2005
    BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Four years ago, Etienne Verhees broke two vertebrae falling off a ladder, after which doctors put a metal plate in his neck to help heal the wound.
    Man coughs up screw after operation

This week, the Belgian coughed up one of four screws used to hold the plate in place.

"I have had a cold for the past few days," Verhees told daily Gazet Van Antwerpen. "I had a terrible cough a few days ago. That's when I suddenly felt something in my mouth.

"It turned out to be a screw."

One of the doctors involved told the paper he assumed the screw had moved because of an infection Verhees suffered following a second operation, which caused his neck to swell.

if you enjoyed that story, check out this video that I found for added entertainment
  2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    Hahaha, well done. A good newscaster slip-up will always enhance a story tenfold. Especially if it has to do with J-Lo and "curbjobs".

EDIT: on topic though, that is pretty disturbing. It's gross to think about the path that it traveled into his lungs.
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Oh, my! The amazing things that the body accomplishes. A reason not to say never. Hopefully the infection in his neck resolved and he's alright.
  4. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    If this was America the thread would have started with "American sues after..."

5. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    This is why I will NEVER have anterior vertebrae surgery. Ever.