Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasg49

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Good grief... It weighs about the same as an average trade paperback book. (just weighed a bunch on my postage scale - pocket sized paperbacks were 0.6 - 1.1lbs - trade ones were 1.3 - 1.7lbs)

Try holding it with two hands like a book ;)

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
lol yeah it seems a lot smaller. iPad is awesome. Definitely doesn't feel like a ipod touch. More like a hybrid in a way, imo.

I HOPE some people in here can relax and realize, some iPad owners have at least 1 ONE negative feeling towards it.

Oh noez, he haz a con!

Now I am on my 21 inch monitor and it feels HUGE...This will take some getting used to.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
After 10-20 mins max, Holding it with one hand, and navigating the touch screen with the other, you start switching hands. It's a little on the heavier side. Wish it was lighter.

Only negative, if i can say one, it's starting to feel like a chore holding it...

What do you mean exactly. You are standing holding it entirely in one hand? If so, Why?

Rest it on a table, in your lap, etc...

Aside from that, it weighs less than a Harry Potter Hard cover that I have seen 10 year old girls managing, so I don't think many people will have that much issue with it's "massive" weight.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
What do you mean exactly. You are standing holding it entirely in one hand? If so, Why?

Aside from that, it weighs less than a Harry Potter Hard cover that I have seen 10 year old girls managing, so I don't think many people will have that much issue with it's "massive" weight.

10 year old girls, given the option would likely prefer to read on a touch or ipad.

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008

Haha, this reminds me of my surprise when I first saw my 9 year old nephew reading those huge hard bound Harry Potter books he so loved. He would hold it up and wrestle with it for hours while reading it and loved every moment of it. If my little nephew can do it, I'm pretty sure grown adults like us can handle the 1.5 lb worth of iPad.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Michael Scott: "That's what she said"

I can't believe you guys got 30 posts deep without doing that!

I really can't grasp 1.5 pounds being REALLY heavy. I'll have to test drive one at a store before I even think of getting one, but I can't imagine weight being a problem with something so thin.

Smackfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Good grief... It weighs about the same as an average trade paperback book. (just weighed a bunch on my postage scale - pocket sized paperbacks were 0.6 - 1.1lbs - trade ones were 1.3 - 1.7lbs)

I think it's because weight "feel" is all about density, not weight. Trade paperbacks are two or three times as thick as an iPad, so they feel lighter.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Thanks for the review. It seems a case with a stand built-in may be wise?

Even though I can bench more than 275lbs, I have had devices this size that do get tiring to hold. It has little to do with being "weak".

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I played with one today at Best Buy. The iPad is a big freaking iPod touch. Nothing more. Nothing less.

mileslong

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Newport Beach, CA
I guess I don't get why people are worried about the weight. Aren't you going to be using it while seated or reclining on a couch or bed? I mean I don't think it's meant to be used while you are walking around, you wouldn't use your laptop or netbook like that...

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I think they should make it as thin as a sheet of paper. Also with special gravity modifiers that keep it placed in the air where ever you leave it so you don't have to hold it. I want it to have a 1Tb flash memory, 1080p, GPS accurate to a mm, a subwoofer that can sustain 1hz, cost ten cents, and have all free applications.
You would think they would know that is what we really want!

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
I love the size of the iPad, but agree with others that it feels weighty. I actually prefer holding it within the official Apple case.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Yeah it's not the lightest. But propped up in the lap is the best position for me anyhow. There are always tradeoffs. They could have possibly made it lighter, but then there might be less battery.

Kindle DX has same screen size, less complex electronically, still weighs 18 oz. I don't think they could have made it that much lighter.

I still laugh at people who say iPad slays normal kindle for heavy reading. It most certainly does not. The normal kindle is 10 ounces, 2.4 times less weight.

But for a device I'm leaving at home, iPad is great. There is always iPad nano, er iPhone, when I'm out and about. I think the two devices complement each other very well.

Sent from my iPad

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Perhaps some wrist curls or something else to build up your forearm and wrist strength?

I just checked, and the book I am currently reading, Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons, weighs 2.2 lbs. That means most normal hardback books weigh more than an iPad. Beyond that a hardbook book is less manageable than an iPad. That particular book weighs 50% more than an iPad.

So while I can't declare there is something wrong with you or this is not a problem, I can remain skeptical given its relative weight and dimension of other objects.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
oh dear God, here we go. some people will be complaining about how big and heavy the iPad is. and then some people will complain because how small the iPad's screen is after listening to the complainers who said the unit was too big.

so the verdict is, Apple can't win either way.

Thank you. At least the OP has something to complain about, I can't even afford one at this time as I have other financial obligations. I wish people could appreciate the fact that they are able to have things that other people are unable to afford, rather than just find fault so much.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
I really can't grasp 1.5 pounds being REALLY heavy. I'll have to test drive one at a store before I even think of getting one, but I can't imagine weight being a problem with something so thin.

I find it interesting that the JooJoo tablet is 2.5 lbs. I've been carrying my iPad around this afternoon and don't find it unwieldy at all.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
grab 2 iPads and do some curls while watching videos on it. It's all about the training, soon you'll be lifting your iPad like nothin.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I guess I don't get why people are worried about the weight. Aren't you going to be using it while seated or reclining on a couch or bed? I mean I don't think it's meant to be used while you are walking around, you wouldn't use your laptop or netbook like that...

If you are only going to use it while seated, then what's the advantage compared to a laptop? If this thing is heavy enough so that you can not hold it and have to place it on something then laptop has all advantages and no disadvantages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.