Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sooshi

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
I think your idea of "bumps in daily use" is much more extreme than what the manufacturer is expecting. Dropping your laptop from ANY height cannot be considered daily use. So, even if you had the sleeve it probably wouldn't have protected it enough to NOT get damaged. It may have lessened the damage, but not completely prevented it.

That is the thing, I didn't drop it. It was a dent that could be prevented by having the sleeve. If anything, I had my ipod in my hand and literally smashed it into the ground and it was fine. My bag landed on my lap.

grimslade

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
I'm not entirely sure that you should consider it a good thing that this thread is even here. I'm also not entirely on board with the idea that in order to make it big you had to essentially back your little operation with funds from customers who have yet to receive a product.

I am certain you're going to ship a product on some unspecified date. I wouldn't even jump to the conclusion that you're scammers. I would say with a certain level of confidence that you are bad business people.

While your ability to at least communicate with your customers on some level is admirable, I think to CanadaRAM's point it may be high time to refund some money and allow customers to resubmit an order once your company is truly ready.

While Jona didn't mention it, as others have noted, refunds seem available for anyone unhappy with the delay. Me, I'd rather not get a refund, since I'd llike to receive the product as soon as they become available. Anyone who wants a refund should go ahead and ask for one, rather than insisting unreasonably that everyone's money be sent back whether they've asked for it (or want it back) or not.

Did they use the pre-orders as seed money for the business? Probably. If that's problematic for you, get your share back. And chill a bit.

How's that for a flame-inducing first post? I have no affiliation with ManilaMac other than being an expectant customer.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
Ask 'em for a refund. I did, a couple of weeks ago, and I received my money back instantly.

I'm not defending their business practices. But so far they've not shown me any evidence of being evil... just in way, way over their heads.

They sent me an email today saying "We're refunding your money right now."

We'll see.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Today, I slipped in the snow and dented not only my ego, but my macbookair pretty badly. Again. I am so mad. I should be asking for compensation from manillamac for the dents because I ordered the casing 3 weeks ago. :mad::mad::mad:
Really now? Because I have it on good authority that sleeve or no sleeve that kind of fall could have caused some sort of damage. Holding them responsible for you not buying a case while waiting for this one or doing what others apparently are doing and not taking it outdoors until you get a case hardly seems appropriate.

That is the thing, I didn't drop it. It was a dent that could be prevented by having the sleeve. If anything, I had my ipod in my hand and literally smashed it into the ground and it was fine. My bag landed on my lap.
I'd like to see a real-world test with the sleeve. While it offers some protection, depending upon the fall I doubt it is 100% damage-proof.
While Jona didn't mention it, as others have noted, refunds seem available for anyone unhappy with the delay. Me, I'd rather not get a refund, since I'd llike to receive the product as soon as they become available. Anyone who wants a refund should go ahead and ask for one, rather than insisting unreasonably that everyone's money be sent back whether they've asked for it (or want it back) or not.

Did they use the pre-orders as seed money for the business? Probably. If that's problematic for you, get your share back. And chill a bit.

How's that for a flame-inducing first post? I have no affiliation with ManilaMac other than being an expectant customer.
I totally believe they're approving refunds. I didn't want it to sound like that. I meant the refunds should have been completed without the request. I don't think they're shady, I think they're disorganized. I'm hardly upset. I think with a quick review of some of my posts outside this forum you can tell what really urks me and what really doesn't. Somehow I became interested in this thread and I've since opted to return. That's all. No one needs to chill here. :D

I do hope everyone gets their cases before the end of the month. It doesn't sound like it'll happen, but it'd be nice right? I'm glad users have found alternative cases and those who have not just need a reason to complain. Again they have a great vision but poor execution and their post about making it big seemed a bit insulting you know?

uber gorilla

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I do hope everyone gets their cases before the end of the month. It doesn't sound like it'll happen, but it'd be nice right? I'm glad users have found alternative cases and those who have not just need a reason to complain. Again they have a great vision but poor execution and their post about making it big seemed a bit insulting you know?

Argh, when are the AirMail sleeves gonna arrive? This is almost like an horrific repeat of the 3.5 week wait for my MBA...

What ever happened to good business practice in this world? And isn't this modern day and age supposed to be more efficient?

Oh, lament lament lament...

stsanford

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Long Island, NY
In response to the lot of "Worst business people ever.." rants: Oh, c'mon. Did they bite off more than they could chew? Absolutely. Worst ever, my gosh, if you think so, you're blessed. I'm from New York and this dynamic duo, while seemingly incompetent, is a breath of fresh air. They strike me as two kids who just didn't think of all the logistics involved. They're learning on us, so we're kind of their Beta Testers. <VBG>

There's a reason most businesses fail. I know, I run one, it's not easy, and the ones that make it look so easy are just exceptional at what they do. It's hard, work, and I don't think they were prepared for it.

I for one was happy to see a coherent response posted here. I would have much rather had even a templated form-mail response in my inbox, but I'll take the post here. I had my suspicions that they took our funds and bought a really huge lot of pot with it.... ;-)

Just my opinion, it's free which is about all it's worth...

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I'm waiting to hear reports from the guinea pigs on this one, but if the case is actually as high quality as it looks in the photos I'll be ordering one myself. I do sincerely accept their explanation of being completely overwhelmed with orders here, this thing was featured on just about every tech blog around when they announced it. Two people working from home very likely had no way to anticipate they would spawn thousands of orders.

Edit: Also, I emailed them a question a week or so ago and got a personal response from Jona within hours. That's more than I can say for many businesses that are content to send you a form letter a few days later.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Good first post and tbh I utterly agree with you.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
One point that early orderers should not lose sight of is that the deadline for filing a PayPal chargeback is 45 days. If you let it go 46 days and product is not delivered, you are out of luck getting PayPal to follow up.

As has happened in the past, IF a seller is intent on fraud, they only need to keep issuing promises and assurances long enough to get the payments past day 46.

If you funded the PayPal account with a charge card, you may have extra leverage, as charge cards typically allow claims to be filed up to 6 months. However, charge card banks have also taken the position that the transaction is between them and PayPal, not between them and the seller.

I recommend that on any delayed delivery transaction, people near the 40 day mark ask for a seller refund automatically, and if one is not received (not just promised), file a chargeback on day 44. The chargeback can always be cancelled if the product shows. And it should be easy as pie for the seller to contact you when the product is in hand and ready to ship, and offer it for re-purchase at that time.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
Good news

They refunded my money. The refund hit PayPal pretty quickly (a day or less) after they notified me that they were issuing me a refund.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
I'm not getting a refund. I want my product. I would just like a time frame. Maybe a set date even if it is March 20th or something. Just a date. :(

Hansii

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
I can't believe how rude and suspicious people on this forum are sometimes, Jona comes on here and posts a long and personal explanation of why the ManilaMac is delayed and people still attack him. I get that you expected to receive the product earlier, but they never guaranteed any delivery date and this is a small two man operation (something they have said openly from the beginning, have some understanding of their situation, I am sure they are doing everything they can to get the product shipped. And I can't wait to receive mine!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can't believe how rude and suspicious people on this forum are sometimes, Jona comes on here and posts a long and personal explanation of why the ManilaMac is delayed and people still attack him. I get that you expected to receive the product earlier, but they never guaranteed any delivery date and this is a small two man operation (something they have said openly from the beginning, have some understanding of their situation, I am sure they are doing everything they can to get the product shipped. And I can't wait to receive mine!

Agree with you too. I can easily imagine being in a similar situation to them, and they have refunded everyone who has asked for such promptly and without any qualms.

I'm really looking forward to getting my case :)

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
I never once attacked them or said anything about a delayed refund. I just feel that the product should have been delivered by now. Thats all. Now, with that said, I'm going to wait. I really want one of these cases. The one thing I have faith in is Jonah is making sure the quality is top notch and these cases will stun his customers. :)

junglebutterfly

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
This is my first time here

I ordered air mail on feb 7 and have not recieved it yet.
I sent an angry email to them for not having any communication with me all this time I have been waiting. I never got a single email explaining the delay i was sitting here sad when it didnt come after the 3 business days. Then I kept checking back to the site and i saw the will ship the week of the 18th then i saw the will ship soon. thats when i sent the angry email. I checked my paypal and saw it went through on there like the 8th or 9th of feb then i got my cc statement this week and the money is gone so I know they got it. Am I the only person that never got any communication from these people?? I havent even gotten a reply to the email i sent them. Im getting really sick of this.

dahcheet

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
This is my first time here

I ordered air mail on feb 7 and have not recieved it yet.
I sent an angry email to them for not having any communication with me all this time I have been waiting. I never got a single email explaining the delay i was sitting here sad when it didnt come after the 3 business days. Then I kept checking back to the site and i saw the will ship the week of the 18th then i saw the will ship soon. thats when i sent the angry email. I checked my paypal and saw it went through on there like the 8th or 9th of feb then i got my cc statement this week and the money is gone so I know they got it. Am I the only person that never got any communication from these people?? I havent even gotten a reply to the email i sent them. Im getting really sick of this.

Not to sound pretentious, but if you read through the whole thread you'll see some of the correspondence or a summary of anything we've received from them. For the most part, they've tried to keep us informed of what's going on and have answer a good number of our e-mails promptly and personally.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not received a response. I'm sure if I were in your situation I would be just as mad. If you feel this is a waste of your time and money then might I suggest getting a refund? They are more than willing to return your money to you as they have with others who were not happy with the situation.

Me? I'm going to wait it out. I have a simple sleeve right now that's doing the job and I'm waiting on this and a Fabrix Deluxe Case. Yes, it irks me that both companies are slow on producing and shipping but there has been quite the flux in demand for these. Fabrix was already setup to do mass production so I'm expecting that to show up by the end of the week (hopefully). The AirMail group, however, just didn't realize the amount of demand a product like this would incur. Call it growing pains, if you will. Just think of this as a GIANT growth spurt right at beginning of a new venture.

Varnim

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
I never got the first mail that some of you got that it was going to be delayed. Then I mailed them last weekend and asked them if it was shipped yet, if not I would like a refund because I need to have a sleeve now. So far no reply on that either.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Well I too ordered one of these, also sent an email, and have not received a reply.

I actually think timbuk2 is going to beat them to it anyway with the "Steve Sleeve." Looks fabulous!

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/cms/macbookair/macbookair.htm?gclid=CJ-9462D55ECFQVylgodEWr1fw#3

This is the one I'll probably end up with. (I currently have the Waterfield sleeve but it adds almost a pound to the weight of the Air! Not what I'm looking to do on an ongoing basis.)

junglebutterfly

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
Not to sound pretentious, but if you read through the whole thread you'll see some of the correspondence or a summary of anything we've received from them. For the most part, they've tried to keep us informed of what's going on and have answer a good number of our e-mails promptly and personally.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not received a response. I'm sure if I were in your situation I would be just as mad. If you feel this is a waste of your time and money then might I suggest getting a refund? They are more than willing to return your money to you as they have with others who were not happy with the situation.

Me? I'm going to wait it out. I have a simple sleeve right now that's doing the job and I'm waiting on this and a Fabrix Deluxe Case. Yes, it irks me that both companies are slow on producing and shipping but there has been quite the flux in demand for these. Fabrix was already setup to do mass production so I'm expecting that to show up by the end of the week (hopefully). The AirMail group, however, just didn't realize the amount of demand a product like this would incur. Call it growing pains, if you will. Just think of this as a GIANT growth spurt right at beginning of a new venture.

I did read the entire thread thats why I am upset it sounds like most of the people on the thread have gotten responses from them both unsolicited and also responses to their questions. I have not recieved anything and thats why I am so frustrated. I want to wait on the air mail because I like it a lot. I am not in a desparate situation like some people seem to be saying. I have a mondo James bond style ransom money holding foam lined hard case that I can strap my MBA into. I'm pretty sure you could back over it and it would be fine. I just think it is very unprofessional to not let the customer know whats happening. if they cant reply to all the complaints or questions they are getting they could at least put a new page up on their site explaining it for the customers that are revisiting with questions or whatever.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
Jona comes on here and posts a long and personal explanation of why the ManilaMac is delayed and people still attack him

And that's exactly why: these are business transaction issues; we don't want or have time for "long and personal explanations."

The fact that they are "only" a 2-person business entity is no excuse for them not studying, learning, and adopting smart business practices. They should be living and breathing BPI (business process improvement) and PM (project management) principles by now.

If the Moca Grande you receive at Starbucks has a foreign object in it, you don't want to hear a 3-minute explanation from the barrista of all the events leading up to (and repercussions resultant from) various employee mishaps that eventually lead to you receive a tainted beverage. You want a one-word response (preferably "OK") and a refund.

Jona

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
2299073122_49a85b305d.jpg

The sleeves are here and we're in full-blown shipping mode. Thanks for your patience, guys.

NOT A SCAM!

Love,
Jona & Claire

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
[SNIP!]

The sleeves are here and we're in full-blown shipping mode. Thanks for your patience, guys.

NOT A SCAM!

Love,
Jona & Claire

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!!! Fantastic stuff. Can't wait to get mine.

Many thanks Jona & Claire for posting in this thread, despite the hostility some harbor (mainly from frustration) - others like myself had faith things would sort themselves out for you in the end.

I'm delighted it's come together and you can start shipping them :)

Big thumbs up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.