Manual sort and then batch rename?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by telmerco, Jul 22, 2006.

1. telmerco macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2006
    Hi, I am trying to batch rename files with a twist. I want to manually sort them (photos) and then batch rename along the lines of common-###.jpg where ### is a numerical index and is padded out with zeros (i.e. 1 would be 001) so that the files sort properly. iPhoto nearly does this with Batch and then export but when you chose the option to append a number, it doesn't pad it out so that common-2.jpg comes after common-19.jpg. Any ideas of how to go about this such that I can manually sort the photos first (finder keeps files organized by name, size, etc and will not let me manually sort as far as I can tell). All help is very much appreciated. Cheers, Colin
  2. reh macrumors 6502a

Oct 24, 2003
    There are lots of batch renaming applications out there. One i've used in the past is Renamer4Mac. Search VersionTracker or MacUpdate for more.
  3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    I like better finder rename it's not freeware though... link

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Instead of importing straight into iPhoto, where editing the name in iPhoto doesn't actually change the file name, I import them using Image Capture into a folder on my Desktop, and have set up a script where I can batch rename my files and select the number of digits used in the naming, and which number the naming starts.
    After that, I import them into iPhoto, and the naming is automatically taken care of. If I name the folder I put the photos into, my Film Roll in iPhoto is also automatically renamed.

Attached Files: