Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telmerco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Hi, I am trying to batch rename files with a twist. I want to manually sort them (photos) and then batch rename along the lines of common-###.jpg where ### is a numerical index and is padded out with zeros (i.e. 1 would be 001) so that the files sort properly. iPhoto nearly does this with Batch and then export but when you chose the option to append a number, it doesn't pad it out so that common-2.jpg comes after common-19.jpg. Any ideas of how to go about this such that I can manually sort the photos first (finder keeps files organized by name, size, etc and will not let me manually sort as far as I can tell). All help is very much appreciated. Cheers, Colin

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Instead of importing straight into iPhoto, where editing the name in iPhoto doesn't actually change the file name, I import them using Image Capture into a folder on my Desktop, and have set up a script where I can batch rename my files and select the number of digits used in the naming, and which number the naming starts.
After that, I import them into iPhoto, and the naming is automatically taken care of. If I name the folder I put the photos into, my Film Roll in iPhoto is also automatically renamed.

Attachments

• rename.jpg
    rename.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 167
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.