Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Boise, ID
Ok, kind of a newbie question. I figured out part of this.

I just got my new 12" Powerbook with Airport Extreme. I connect to my Linksys Router just fine and can see all of my shared drives on my Windows workgroup. I even figured out how to mount the Windows drives on my laptop.

However, what I haven't figured out, is how to keep these drives mounted. When I shut down my system (or if my network connection drops - which it does occassionally if I go into the right spot in my house).

The two drives that I use a lot are my Photo and Music drives. Is there any way to keep these mounted on the desktop? Its kind of frustrating having to remount them every time I turn on my laptop.

ephramz

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
What "file" do you exactly make an alias of or drag to the dock? The machine of the same name that appears under the "Network" in the finder? It seems that the finder doesn't allow me to drag these icons into the dock, and still, these only point to the machine, not to a particular disk mount on that machine.

markintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Boise, ID
Thanks! Works perfectly

That was exactly what I needed.
Mounted the drives so they are on my desktop, dragged them to the dock...and the rest is history!

Now whenever I restart, they are still on my dock, click on them and it sends the username and password.

More kudos to Macrumors readers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.