Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is rumored to be planning to host a March event to unveil new products, but exact details on what will be shown off at the event have been in flux. An early December rumor from 9to5Mac suggested Apple would use the event to unveil a second-generation Apple Watch, but a report from TechCrunch indicated that rumor was false - no Apple Watch 2 is in the works for an early 2016 launch.

Instead, TechCrunch shared information indicating something smaller but still watch-related could be introduced in March, perhaps a minor update to add a FaceTime camera or new bands and partnerships similar to Apple's collaboration with Hermès. In a new report on what may come out at the March event, 9to5Mac backtracks on earlier claims of an Apple Watch 2 and instead agrees with TechCrunch, pointing towards a new Apple Watch lineup with new bands but no hardware changes.

ipadwatchiphone.jpg

At its September 2015 event, Apple introduced its Hermès partnership and debuted new colors for several Apple Watch bands, and we may see the same kind of update at the March event. New colors for existing bands and bands in new materials may be in the works. Apple is also planning to release watchOS 2.2 at or shortly after the event.

Apple's March event may also see the debut of the rumored 4-inch iPhone, now thought to be called the "iPhone 5se" to reflect its position as a successor to the iPhone 5s. The device is said to have an iPhone 5s-style exterior with iPhone 6-style curved cover. Internally, it will feature an A8 or A9 processor, NFC support for Apple Pay, an 8-megapixel rear camera, and while it won't have 3D Touch, it will be capable of taking Live Photos.

Previous rumors have suggested we could also see the next-generation iPad Air at the March event, as it is said to be debuting in the spring of 2016.

Though no Apple Watch 2 update is planned for early 2016, a second-generation update is undoubtedly in the works. It's possible Apple could be planning to release a new Apple Watch in the fall months alongside the iPhone 7.

Apple's plans for a March event remain tentative, and should products not be ready for release, there's a possibility that it could be canceled in favor of an online-only unveiling and announcement for the 4-inch iPhone and new Apple Watch bands.

Article Link: March Event Could See Launch of iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 and New Apple Watch Bands

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
So I guess March is now when they will announce the low end iPhones and iPads and September is when they will announce the high end iPhones and iPads. Meh....it was better when they announced them all at the same time.

Last edited:

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Wow, I really thought we'd see a new Apple Watch. Isn't April 1 year after the launch of the first, and 1.5 years after it was announced?

Not least because all their other products are released in the fall - the Watch looked like it would replace iPad as the device we got in Spring.

Reactions: Mr. Donahue

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Seriously? Updating the watch band line up is a thing now? The bands?

You're killing me, Apple. It seems the focus on technology that just works is getting a little diffused.

It's like them saying that in September we get new iPhone colours and cases, but not the iPhone 7.

Come on Apple, we want the Apple Watch 2!
[doublepost=1453498603][/doublepost]
Why even bother. The only thing of some merit would be the iPad Air 3, but if its incremental - meh. What about computers! Mac Mini, Mac Pro! These are ridiculously late. Does Apple only have 8 Engineers total?

It would be actually pretty great if they had an event entirely focuses on Macs. What update could warrant that, do you think?

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands

You're killing me, Apple. It seems the focus on technology that just works is getting a little diffused.
Are you saying the bands don't work? They work better than any other Apple product!

:p

The longer Macbook Air is not updated/removed from line-up the better I feel about my November purchase, so keep on pumpin' those bands Apple. Maybe new colours of iHump?

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Why even bother. The only thing of some merit would be the iPad Air 3, but if its incremental - meh. What about computers! Mac Mini, Mac Pro! These are ridiculously late. Does Apple only have 8 Engineers total?

Yaaay more lame incremental upgrades that I can't afford and wouldn't want anyway.

I now spend my money on shaving hardware because I think it's a better investment. I've bought 2 hand-made shaving brushes, about 30 different soaps, razors hand-made by famous Japanese swordsmiths and a heap of cool bowls/aftershaves (from the UK, Spain, USA, Japan, Australia...etc) for less than a grand. Far more rewarding than a big-screened iPhone that can't take calls.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Watch 2.2. Probably the Skylake MacBook line, an iPhone 5SE and maybe an iPad Air 3. They won't have an entire event just for watch bands. It may be a 90 minute event in Cupertino with a small crowd. Just a refresh.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Why would they bring the iPad Air 3 out now and not last autumn? Perhaps they didn't want to steal the Pro's Thunder. Still seems weird timing.

As to the 4" iPhone, it can't come soon enough. Why Apple have abandoned it beggars belief.

As to the watch bands: an event for that? Really? I wish Apple could make a lightning cable that didn't turn green and burn out.

applebreed

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Chicago
Related observation, and I know this is a totally unscientific data point, but ever since the Watch came out, I've paid more attention to what people are wearing and it seems like the number of Apple Watch users at my gym had increased rather dramatically since the holidays – I'd say almost three-fold. I guess a lot of people got them as gifts.

Reactions: orbital~debris

iPhD

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Watch 2.2. Probably the Skylake MacBook line, an iPhone 5SE and maybe an iPad Air 3. They won't have an entire event just for watch bands. It may be a 90 minute event in Cupertino with a small crowd. Just a refresh.

True. But if they say more than three sentences about the bands and if the word "revolutionary" is used, I may just lose it.

I guess I'm just the exact opposite of a fashionista and--while I do appreciate Sir Ive's expertise in design--I don't understand the attention to what is essentially a strap. (hmm, maybe this is why I'm not in design, either)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I wouldn't think anyone who hasn't bought an Apple Watch already would somehow be convinced to purchase one just because the bands got updated... and frankly I don't really believe Apple would think that, either.

I've been wearing a Garmin Vivosmart band for almost a year now, and the utility of having notifications on my wrist has actually made me interested in seeing what the Apple Watch can do... but I'm definitely waiting for v2 before even considering one.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's like them saying that in September we get new iPhone colours and cases, but not the iPhone 7.

Come on Apple, we want the Apple Watch 2!
[doublepost=1453498603][/doublepost]

It would be actually pretty great if they had an event entirely focuses on Macs. What update could warrant that, do you think?

Seems to me when we got updated models last fall that was a good indication no new watch in the spring. Plus I'm sure a lot of people got theirs over the holidays so announcing a brand new one just a couple months later would probably piss a lot of people off.

Reactions: lombax54

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Why does everyone read a rumor and get upset? This isn't an official press release. You all have zero clue what they are planning
[doublepost=1453499862][/doublepost]
True. But if they say more than three sentences about the bands and if the word "revolutionary" is used, I may just lose it.

I guess I'm just the exact opposite of a fashionista and--while I do appreciate Sir Ive's expertise in design--I don't understand the attention to what is essentially a strap. (hmm, maybe this is why I'm not in design, either)
Bands are important. It differentiates Apple Watch from inferior competitors who have weak band options and little to no third party bands

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.