Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmerwin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Powder Springs, GA
Hello,

I teach a High School Marching Band, and in our show this year, we are trying some very new things as far as digital sounds and synth are concerned. Our composer uses PC for most everything, so he asked me to do some research to see if we can use our iMacs to do what it is we're trying to do. An overview:

1. We're using some very high level samples in the production: Atmospheres, AAS Modeling, StormDrum. This will give you an idea of our level of involvement.

2. Our iMac has 4GB of RAM and a 500GB Hard Drive running at 7200RPMs.

3. We're using the Eventide Eclipse Effect Processor

4. We have 2 Yamaha Motif ES6 and 1 MiniMo MM6, and we're using 2 Akai MPD24 Pads to trigger some stuff.

Now for the questions:

1. I'm sure we'll use some USB/Firewire, but I know we'll need to run PCI as well. What setup works well here?

2. I know Forte won't work on a Mac. We're sort of familiar with Cubase, but if we're talking about a 17 year-old kid needing to use the interface...what is easiest?

3. What midi interface works best with the iMac?

Our composer really wants us to use a PC...but I just don't see spending money on a computer that we'll ONLY use for this. We're big time Mac users, and if we can use the iMac for this....we really want to.

I know it's kind of lame asking Marchign Band questions...but this is a big deal to a lot of people.

Thanks for the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.