Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
I bought Mario Kart DS and I fell in love with it. Everything in that game seems as close to perfection in a kart game as you can get: great physics, balanced characters and items (well, that blue shell can get annoying) and a lot of courses. I remember playing the original with a friend back in the day and remembering that I didn't like it a whole lot. I thought maybe my experience with the DS version would change that and I decided to give it another go. Well...it still wasn't all that great. So I tried the GBA version and the N64 version and still none of them really plays as great as the DS version. It just seems like the steering is so loose and sloppy; you end up sliding everywhere around the track.

How does everyone else feel? Maybe I have no appreciation for the 2d sprite cart physics (but the original fzero plays fine...I play that to death), or maybe they just got things right with the DS version? I dunno.

Opinions?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I picked up the N64 version off of the VC and after playing the DS version haven't enjoyed it much. Other than that, never owned a Mario Kart game.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ah, the DS version. I never liked the SNES or GBA ones, didn't like the handling or flat tracks at all. I can't really get into the N64 one either since that feels too loose as well. Gamecube one I like but the DS one is just as perfect as it gets.
It was pure genius to stick in some of the more popular early tracks, really bumped up the track number and brought a big bit of nostalgia. Can't fault it at all, they're going to have to do an incredible job of the Wii version to compete!

I'm going to have to start playing this online again.

I like the way Nintendo (usually) sticks in that Rainbow Ride track at the end of F-Zero and Mario Kart. Always a fun level and always with good music.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I agree, 64 had loose handling and they ruined sliding from Super Mario Kart where you needed to use it to properly corner (like a real kart), not to get fancy letters out of your exhaust that magically give you a boost. Though that didn't stop me from becoming a Super Circuit addict when I had it on my GBA, I played that thing non stop. Never played the GC version.

The DS version was awesome as well probably the best thus far, I really need to get a DS of my own :(

If I had to rate them I would do so like this:

Mario Kart DS
Tie between Super Circuit and Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The 64's redeeming feature was *that* battle mode map. That was worth the VC £7 alone.
Then they went and added it into the DS game with 8 players... :D

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
the N64 version was great, i really didn't like the GC one.
Hopefully Mario Kart Wii will revive the game on the non-handheld market.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I enjoyed the 64 version but we all played Diddy Kong a lot more...Now things are reversed. I'm so mad at them for adding stupid touch screen stuff to the DS version of Diddy Kong. The 64 version was fantastic. The 64 version of Mario Kart was just ok...not great, but ok to play with friends.

Paul

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I enjoy them all for different reasons, my top 3 being MKDS, 64, and the Double Dash on the Cube. My favorite is MKDS, for the sheer number of courses, and great multiplayer (during class, and other times back in high school)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I liked them all :eek:

Super Mario Kart - Snes, was great. Easy to play, really tough to master.

Mario Kart 64 - N64, had some great tracks, and I enjoyed (though I actually prefered Diddy Kong Racing because of the variety more, and it came before MK64)

Mario Kart Double Dash - Cube (possibly my favorite), thought the two characters worked and added a level of strategy.

Plus... It often gave you a fighting chance (save a shield for later use etc..) especially later on in the game (somthing which affects all mario kart games) when AI gets really unfair and just as your aproaching finishing line you are hit by a shell or somthing and lose.

Mario Kart DS - great online and that too helps prevent the unfair AI issue, but single player game especially on 100 and 150cc cup still suffer for it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I enjoyed the 64 version but we all played Diddy Kong a lot more...Now things are reversed. I'm so mad at them for adding stupid touch screen stuff to the DS version of Diddy Kong. The 64 version was fantastic. The 64 version of Mario Kart was just ok...not great, but ok to play with friends.

Paul

Ditto here.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I loved N64, but it is too dated to play now for me. I still love the Double Dash, but once the Wii Mario Kart comes out, who knows if i'll drop that too :p. I enjoy the series very much, my favorite of all cartoony style racing games. And in regards to DK racing, Mario Kart was far better in my opinion :)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
The DS version got it right. Besides the uber-refined controls, I really liked that Nintendo put elements from all of the previous MKs into it. It was the first MK I played, where everyone had their own screen. I couldn't convince my friends to buy the broadband adapter for the Cube.

For me, my MK favorites goes like this:

MK DS
MK SNES
MK Cube
MK N64

Even though I liked Double Dash better than MK64, I was annoyed that they had removed things like the red-shell and double jump.

SNES version was great for its time. I played it all of they way through with my friend up til 100cc. 150cc cheated way too much.

Back to playing Alone Doom In the Zelda Dark. I mean RE4 Wii.

<]=)

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
There were red shells in DD. I don't know what you are thinking of. And also, what's this double jump?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I loved all the MK games. The original SMK had a battle mode that was just so much fun in its day.

64, I felt, played great and really improved the racing aspect of the game - battle mode was fun still, but the racing was now just as, or at least almost, as much fun.

MKDD was good, was really just an evolution of 64, though, with better maps and the added co-drive which made it a bit more interesting strategy wise.

MK Advanced was one of my favorites. Brought back the feel of the original for me.

I thought DS was OK, but the stupid power slide thing ruined it for me. The online play was AWESOME except that you ran into people who just "snaked" though all the courses using the power slide boost constantly. Clearly not what was intended and just made the game lame online. I also didn't think the karts we balanced all that well. It seemed like there was clearly a "right" kart to use which I don't like in MK - they should all be pretty close to equal, with small bonuses that equal out, more or less, and you can pick whichever fit your personality... MK has always been about fun to me, not "being the best".

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
The upcoming Wii version of the series will provide a fresh approach this time with the wireless steering wheel and online gameplay. I'm curious to see how that will bode.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I loved Mario Kart 64. For me, that's my favorite of all the Mario Kart games. The steering and control were perfect and I preferred the hop/jumping/power slide in that version. MKDS was a lot of fun and seemed to include the best of everything. But I don't have a DS...so that kind of causes me to rank it lower. MK64 also had the best original tracks. Double Dash was disappointing on a lot of levels most strikingly track-wise and control-wise.

I hope the Wii version of MK controls more like the MK64 version and has as many tracks/more tracks than the DS version.

I downloaded MK64 on the VC...it's still a great game but I miss the rumble and the outdated graphics make it hard to play now.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I liked Double Dash!! the best, but I think the DS one was the most balanced (aside from 'snakers' online).

Toadette/Waluigi FTW :D

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
There were red shells in DD. I don't know what you are thinking of. And also, what's this double jump?

True. I was going off my vague memories of the game, which until today, I haven't played for more than 3 years, so I just needed a refreshing.

Here's what I miss when playing DD:
-triple red shell defense This is the red shell thing I was trying to recall.
-triple green shell defense Forgot about this one.
-jumping I don't know why I stated double jump either?
-holding an item behind the cart as a defense.

<]=)

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Here's what I miss when playing DD:
-triple red shell defense This is the red shell thing I was trying to recall.
-triple green shell defense Forgot about this one.
-jumping I don't know why I stated double jump either?
-holding an item behind the cart as a defense.

<]=)

You can get the triple shell items if you played as one of the Koopa Trooper characters. That was their "special" item. I have only played the Gamecube version, but I love it. Looking forward to the Wii version when that comes out.

A Pittarelli

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2007
i thought the 64 was bunk but the rest of them are quite good, the gamecube one and super nintendo are my favorite

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.