Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pit2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
So we tripped the breaker last night, an my girls mac pro (2008/2009 i think) came up with blinking ? folder, ok so i figured system drive died no biggie.
This is where the dilemma starts. I cannot boot into AHT (completely ignores my command and proceeds to throw the question mark).
Holding option to get to start up manager just shows the cursor on white/gray screen.
Holding C to boot from osx dvd just waits there ejects the disk and throws teh question mark.
Trying to get into Open Firmware does the same.
the mac originally came with 10.5 and is running 10.5.8 now (or was)
What the hell is going on?

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Try disconnecting the failed drive and starting it again, and see if you can't run aht or boot from disc

Oldschoolwax

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007
NY
Try disconnecting the failed drive and starting it again, and see if you can't run aht or boot from disc

+1 I had a drive fail and the machine would refuse to do anything with that drive in place. Luckily I got a few mounts out of it inn an external enclosure before it had to go back to god for a replacement.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Trying to get into Open Firmware does the same.

Open Firmware doesn't exist on any Mac Pro (was only on G5 and earlier) so you won't be able to get anywhere with Cmd-Opt-O-F.

If you have no luck after disconnecting the drive then try resetting the SMC and PRAM: Turn the computer off at the wall and leave it off for one minute. Turn it back on at the wall and wait another minute. Hold Cmd-Opt-R with your left hand, then using your right hand press the Power button followed by holding P until the computer chimes three times, then release.

Once you've done that, see whether anything works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.