Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aditya Rajveer

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Gujarat, India
What's the difference between Marvis and Vox?
I don't actually use Vox but as much as I've heard they wanted to Support large variety of Music Formats like FLAC for lossless Audio. So their app can do that. But they won't be able to Play AppleMusic or iCloud Music, the way they it works. Marvis can Play anything Music App can. I hope when you asked the difference you meant functioning behind the scenes. I hope I was able to answer your question correctly.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
So… When I set to playlists local only, obviously no crashing since I have like two local files. When set to cloud only, I get significant lag, but less crashing. When I set views to only playlists, artists and genres, with playlists back to all, no crashing yet.

Hope that helps.

I will play with that tomorrow and let you know.

Aditya Rajveer

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Gujarat, India
So… When I set to playlists local only, obviously no crashing since I have like two local files. When set to cloud only, I get significant lag, but less crashing. When I set views to only playlists, artists and genres, with playlists back to all, no crashing yet.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for trying out and replying what you tested. I hope you've not set 'No. of visible rows in dropdown' to 0.

Hmmm, setting only playlist, artist and genres hasn't crashed yet, gets me thinking again.

But thanks for pointing your observations.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Visible rows set to 8 in all sections.

Thank you for trying out and replying what you tested. I hope you've not set 'No. of visible rows in dropdown' to 0.

Hmmm, setting only playlist, artist and genres hasn't crashed yet, gets me thinking again.

But thanks for pointing your observations.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Cool.

Different topic and not sure if reported already: when playing music from the For You section of the Apple Music app, the track info shows correctly in Marvis, but since there is no artwork, I would expect it to use the 'no artwork' wallpaper, but doesn't.

Related, consider adding an option to pull in artist artwork from the web when there is no artwork. I have a couple of other apps that do that and it's a nice feature.

So you just have lags in Playlists, I think a I found something, probably all the calculations of time for 25k items would be causing it. I'll optimise it, Thanks for the info.

Aditya Rajveer

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Gujarat, India
Cool.

Different topic and not sure if reported already: when playing music from the For You section of the Apple Music app, the track info shows correctly in Marvis, but since there is no artwork, I would expect it to use the 'no artwork' wallpaper, but doesn't.

Related, consider adding an option to pull in artist artwork from the web when there is no artwork. I have a couple of other apps that do that and it's a nice feature.
Yeah I have noticed artwork missing but only if the artwork isn't loaded, so you can know that artwork info is available, just not loaded.

I'll add artist Images I have decided, Thanks for requesting. The main question is where to fetch it from. I'll even add genres and other images, and even add option to Manually edit each image. So if you feel an Artwork is incorrect/inappropriate you can set your own.

I haven't had much time to actively keep up with this thread in realtime but I like what I'm seeing in some of the new features and optimizations. I'm absolutely enjoying version 2.0. Until this app I only kept music on my phone as a sort of backup when I didn't have my iOS 6 iPod Touch handy. This app has made my iPhone my default music player and it looks like it'll just get better.

With iOS 8.4 so new I expected bugs in many 3rd party apps. So far, the only minor glitch seems to be music randomly pausing now and then (even when the phone is locked with the screen off or while I'm using other apps with no music controls visible). It isn't often and I can't guess the cause. In fact, the rest of the UI experience is so strong that it is a tiny price to pay.

Just posted my review in the U.S. App Store.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aditya Rajveer

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I would like to NOT see artists/albums from a playlist show up in the Artist/Album tabs. Scrolling through albums that only have one song because they are in a playlist makes for unnecessary scrolling when going through the artist or album view.

Aditya Rajveer

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Gujarat, India
I would like to NOT see artists/albums from a playlist show up in the Artist/Album tabs. Scrolling through albums that only have one song because they are in a playlist makes for unnecessary scrolling when going through the artist or album view.
Don't you think that'd be a lot of processing to determine if a Track is in a Playlist and hiding those albums? If it was a one Time process it could be affordable, but this could happen many times, as you change rating or even just play an item. With about 10-20k songs some users have, that would degrade performance a lot. I hope you understand that it's not good for stability and performance. Really sorry.

Aditya Rajveer

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Gujarat, India
Not sure what you mean. Spotify, Rdio, and Beats does it.
I think I din't get you before then. Maybe there's a misunderstanding. I will check out Rdio, Spotify is not available in my country.

I'd like to clear one thing, by playlist do you mean the Playback Queue or other one?

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I mean regular user created playlists.
I'm confused as well. Can you clarify. The Album and Artists tabs show all artists and albums of music on your phone. If it's in a playlist, it's on your phone, so it would show in the tabs.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
So just to quickly follow up on this, it's definitely the Playlist tab that is causing the app to crash.

So you just have lags in Playlists, I think a I found something, probably all the calculations of time for 25k items would be causing it. I'll optimise it, Thanks for the info.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
So when starting a song in the Music app, and Marvis does not have a queue, at the top it will say something like "6 of ?". Anyone else think that looks weird? Perhaps Marvis should not show anything at the top in this case?

Also, and maybe this is just a bug, when viewing the player view in landscape, why is the mini player still shown (at the top) as well?

Last edited:

Aditya Rajveer

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Gujarat, India
So when starting a song in the Music app, and Marvis does not have a queue, at the top it will say something like "6 of ?". Anyone else think that looks weird? Perhaps Marvis should not show anything at the top in this case?

Also, and maybe this is just a bug, when viewing the player view in landscape, why is the mini player still shown (at the top) as well?
Well, when the queue isn't available the now playing track number is still good information to have, Marvis can't infer the total number of items so '?', and for the consistency I had to keep 'of ?', so one can easily know that Marvis has no Queue info.

The mini player shown in Landscape NowPlaying view is not a bug, if that was empty won't it look worse? The Artwork can't be below the MiniPlayer Area, so that's not an Option.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Won't argue about the track number thing - if you think it's useful, leave it in. :)

As far as the mini player, it just seems odd. Why would I need the mini player when I am in player view? Too much scrolling text everywhere ;) but seriously, is it there just because the artwork and player couldn't fill the screen?

Well, when the queue isn't available the now playing track number is still good information to have, Marvis can't infer the total number of items so '?', and for the consistency I had to keep 'of ?', so one can easily know that Marvis has no Queue info.

The mini player shown in Landscape NowPlaying view is not a bug, if that was empty won't it look worse? The Artwork can't be below the MiniPlayer Area, so that's not an Option.

Aditya Rajveer

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Gujarat, India
Won't argue about the track number thing - if you think it's useful, leave it in. :)

As far as the mini player, it just seems odd. Why would I need the mini player when I am in player view? Too much scrolling text everywhere ;) but seriously, is it there just because the artwork and player couldn't fill the screen?
Thank you for understanding about Track Number

Exactly, the artwork can't fill the screen coz if I do, due to proportions, increase in artwork height would mean increase in Artwork width, and less space for right pane, the button, sliders and other. You're right, there's no need of mini player, but it actually doesn't look bad to have it and does the necessary of job up the extra space. There a few more reasons but I'll leave the explanation here, I hope you agree with me.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Ok, but just my last word on this: all that simultaneous auto scrolling of the artist and track name that is happening in both the player and mini player looks really strange.

Aditya Rajveer

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Gujarat, India
Ok, but just my last word on this: all that simultaneous auto scrolling of the artist and track name that is happening in both the player and mini player looks really strange.
Haha, that's right, but in most cases, the text is short enough to fit in Mini Player without need of scrolling. - "Talking about iPhone 6 and 6Plus."

I'll think of something again, surely, thinking about it ever since I implemented it.

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Haha, that's right, but in most cases, the text in short enough to fit in Mini Player without need of scrolling. - "Talking about iPhone 6 and 6Plus."

I'll think of something again, surely, thinking about it ever since I implemented it.

Thanks. Guess I listen to a lot of music with long titles :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.